Secondary school uniform & micro mini skirts - AIBU?

(163 Posts)
Damselion Tue 16-Apr-13 21:12:10

Walking past our local secondary school at home time this afternoon and I was literally gobsmacked at the length of the skin tight micro mini skirts, they came up to the line of their bums & you could literally see one girls crotch, luckily she had tights on.

AIBU to think the teachers should send them home to put a more appropriate skirt on?! I'm starting to feel like an old codger but DD will be starting there soon and I'm just hoping there isn't pressure to be overtly sexual from such a young age, it's makes me kinda sad.

CruCru Thu 18-Apr-13 12:07:36

This is part of the reason I don't like uniform. Unless things like skirt length are enforced, it just looks tacky.

motherinferior Thu 18-Apr-13 12:10:40

No, that was to Miggsie about the 'whores on the hill'. Like you, I hate uniform. Let them all wear jeans, that's what I say.

Branleuse Thu 18-Apr-13 12:11:28

if you have a school uniform, then kids will do whatever they can to personalise their look their own way.

When the length of a girls skirt starts interfering with her grades, then ill be bothered

Boiler suits for all. It's the only way. Preferably bright orange ones like in 'Holes', with a massive school logo printed on the back.

mrsjay Thu 18-Apr-13 13:01:32

Exactly branleuse dd puts badges on her blazer it is her tiny attempt at rebellion and tbh it is just a skirt

LaQueen Thu 18-Apr-13 13:59:34

Sweet

I think the new kilt at our GS will only be available through the school and will be a regulation (deeply unflattering) just below knee length grin

sweetkitty Thu 18-Apr-13 15:29:07

LaQueen - I believe this is the situation at the local school too, maybe you buy a skirt in first year and it lasts you 6 years.

I must admit when I see the girls tottering past, micro minis, high heels, tights and blazer my first thought is that they must be freezing.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 18-Apr-13 15:33:58

no-one's worn skirts much at our local since bodycons were banned - but now that skater skirts are in vogue, girls are starting to wear those - I think they look quite nice, but I may be in a minority!

Jins Thu 18-Apr-13 15:44:57

Kilts are easdy enough to roll up but you need to stitch the pleats down first smile

Leonas Thu 18-Apr-13 20:03:00

We have been trying to enforce a stricter uniform policy at my school for the last year but it is virtually impossible - we, as a staff, are horrified at what some of the pupils wear but the parents buy the uniforms and if they are happy with it, sending the pupils home is pointless. More shocking is what the girls wear to school discos/ dances - I dread having a teenage girl!

BrianButterfield Thu 18-Apr-13 20:11:04

Can I just say that there is no way male teachers are checking out girls' legs when they check skirt lengths? Well, I suppose anything's possible but believe me it's very far from the mind of my colleagues and DH when they have to check uniform. Most men do not in fact 'check out' children's legs hmm

ruthyroo Fri 19-Apr-13 05:32:41

No uniforms here in France, and 99% of the students wear some variation on jeans and hoodies - low slung for boys and tight for girls. Only very very rarely do I see any micro minis here etc and we live next door to a lycée so there are plenty young people around. When I was last back in the UK I happened to get stuck in traffic outside my old secondary school and was taken aback by the teeny tiny skirts and other variations on school uniform. Looks dreadful IMHO so YANBU I think.

cory Fri 19-Apr-13 07:35:36

Don't let's forget that perceptions of what is an overly sexual way to dress change over time and place.

When Laura Ingalls' mother combed her hair back behind her ears in the early 1800s she was called to the front of the class and shamed as a slut. At the same time a girl going stark naked in Central Africa would not have sent any sexual messages whatsoever.

I think it is a fair bet that those of my generation who wore shortish school skirts and no bras in the 70s gave the same impression of over-sexualisation to the older generation as the exposed bum cheeks do to the older generation now. From what I remember taxi drivers were distracted and wolf whistled then. And mothers were horrified by the over-sexualisation of young girls.

But you were young then and didn't care.

What about the fact they wear thin white shirts that are see through. You can see their bras

Much more worrying

mrsjay Fri 19-Apr-13 09:30:16

kirts are in vogue, girls are starting to wear those - I think they look quite nice, but I may be in a minority!

dd2 wears those anyway she does wear trousers to school but she might like to wear a skater skirt as a school skirt, she doesn't like or want to wear the teeny tiny belts skirts the other girls wear

mrsjay Fri 19-Apr-13 09:32:01

why would a male teacher check out a girls legs that is horrible male teachers see these girls as children and not somebody to 'check out'

I don't buy the idea that schoolchildren will always subvert the uniform. On my way to work here in NZ I pass pupils of two schools. Both are high-performing schools with similar demographics, whose pupils are up to 18 years of age. Hemlines at School A, a state co-ed high school are frequently mid-thigh and sometimes above. Hemlins at School B, which is Roman Catholic and girls only, are rigorously on the knee and never above. I understand that School B is strict about uniform policy, encourages parents to be the same, and appears to be absolutely successful in this: if their pupils aren't showing off leg on their way to school, they certainly won't be in the school itself.

Haven't noticed black bras under white blouses because a) I don't stare and b) don't want to crash into a lamppost.

In my (UK) school back in the 80s, everyone tied their ties thin side out. I remember how outraged I felt when the school announced during one assembly that the practice was no longer to be tolerated. Oddly enough, wearing white socks had by that time been punishable by detention without warning.

hannah45 Thu 09-May-13 21:52:59

At my school us girls wear no skirts or trousers we just go bottomless.

youmaycallmeSSP Thu 09-May-13 22:19:46

Ah YABU. It looks dreadful but I don't see any big deal. The boys at the secondary school on my road think they are being so cool and rebellious when they cycle their BMXs up the hill with no hands, holding up all traffic. Teenagers have always done and always will do stupid things and proper grown ups will always be horrified and/or laugh at them.

FWIW I wore the same skirt from year 7 (11 years old) to year 11 (16 years old). I was bought new uniform every year but I liked my year 7 skirt. Obviously I grew in height and width so I ended up with the waistband at about the same level as my bra. Such a classy look.

Triumphoveradversity Thu 09-May-13 22:28:42

At DS secondary school almost all the girls, about 95% wear trousers.

BabyMakesTheBoobiesGoLeaky Fri 10-May-13 14:12:13

Don't worry Hannah when I drop you off at school I'm not wearing any bottoms either.

Love,Mum x

icklemssunshine1 Fri 10-May-13 15:57:17

I'm a teacher and sadly this is how most teenage girls dress but you're forgetting the fluorescent coloured bra under the shirt. I one girl whose shirt was extremely tight, buttoned low down to see most of her bra to put her blazer on as I didn't want it see her underwear. I had a complaint from a parent saying I embarrasses her daughter! Our deputy tried to instill a rule of skirt length but was basically told to get stuffed by the parents as they said they'd paid for the skirt and weren't going to buy new ones. It's not just the girls, the boys wear their trousers below the bum so everyone can see their neon boxers. I really don't like it.

icklemssunshine1 Fri 10-May-13 15:58:04

Sorry for all the typos - bloody iPhone!

shewhowines Fri 10-May-13 17:24:20

At my old school the uniform rule was "flared trousers should be no wider than 15" old gimmer

loofet Fri 10-May-13 19:07:06

Ahh this is nothing new! Even my old mum did this, she told me how her and her mates would leave for school in a mid calf length skirt and hitch it right up on their way to school. I always wore a short skirt to school too with Dr Martens grin

FWIW I wasn't a filthy slut, I've just always suited skirts/dresses way more than pants and I had the figure for a short one then envy so why not? I wasn't hurting anyone. Other girls wore skin tight pants, is that somehow less offensive? May I remind you it is a free country and all that wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now