Secondary school uniform & micro mini skirts - AIBU?

(163 Posts)
Damselion Tue 16-Apr-13 21:12:10

Walking past our local secondary school at home time this afternoon and I was literally gobsmacked at the length of the skin tight micro mini skirts, they came up to the line of their bums & you could literally see one girls crotch, luckily she had tights on.

AIBU to think the teachers should send them home to put a more appropriate skirt on?! I'm starting to feel like an old codger but DD will be starting there soon and I'm just hoping there isn't pressure to be overtly sexual from such a young age, it's makes me kinda sad.

CabbageLeaves Tue 16-Apr-13 21:32:31

It's not about being a slut or getting crap results? The school I pass is a top selective. My DD went there. It's about being sad that the girls feel compelled to walk half undressed..what reason is that for? Why can the lads be attractive, liberated, intelligent, popular without their bare buttocks on show?

Ah no, Surrey sparkling. But same rule, one specific skirt, from uniform shop. Dd (currently Y5) complaining about that already...

TheFallenMadonna Tue 16-Apr-13 21:32:59

And I do see far more of boy's pants than I would wish really.

Low slung trousers. Very low.

jacks365 Tue 16-Apr-13 21:33:17

Dd2 school has a rule that skirt must touch the floor if they are knelt ie low knee length. Dd3 school rule is 10cm above or below knee and i think one or two girls mistake inches and cm they are so short.

Don't think sending them home is the answer though as they would then do it on purpose, isolation might work though.

marriedinwhiteagain Tue 16-Apr-13 21:34:04

hmm. well when dd went to a comp (briefly) I rather thought the girls would have been better served by a rigorous attitude to things like: disruption, intimidation, assault, theft, etc., rather than the petty obsession with short skirts and the odd pretty necklace. I supposed it was easier to discipline a nice girl for a too short skirt than a dysfunctional little shit who threatened people.

HollyBerryBush Tue 16-Apr-13 21:34:29

Hardly a new thing is it? in the 60's they all had minge skimming skirts.

SantanaLopez Tue 16-Apr-13 21:35:42

Wearing a mini skirt does not make you 'attractive, liberated, intelligent, popular'. It's such a red herring.

Startail Tue 16-Apr-13 21:39:29

YANBU that school skirts shouldn't be indecent but.....
I'm furious that, in tightening up the rules school have declared DD1's perfectly decent one too short.

It's a waste of my money and the planets resources replacing perfectly wearable uniform. (DD isn't into fashion, DH says her skirt is no shorter than women at work wear and his is not the sort of business where tarty clothes would be appreciated).

blondefriend Tue 16-Apr-13 21:41:11

My school definitely has boys showing their underwear as much as the girls wear short skirts. I'm constantly telling them to pull up their trousers as I don't need to see the pants their mummy bought them for Christmas. It's a fashion, not one I like, but teenagers will always do it. I expect most of them would have a giggle at the "oldies" and their judgments.

Startail Tue 16-Apr-13 21:43:39

Also as well as stressing about skirt length DD1 wishes they'd stop obsessing about correct shoes and Ties

She says they got five minutes extra teaching a lesson on Red Nose Day!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 16-Apr-13 21:46:07

What's needed are full length mirrors at the school - everywhere. If the girls who wear their skirts rolled up could actually see what some of them really look like, they wouldn't do it. It's really unattractive.

Ditto the trousers-fallen-down crew.

x2boys Tue 16-Apr-13 21:49:42

i take my ds aged six on the bus to school so there are several secondary school aged kids from various local schools we see do the girls not realise that if you have a lovely figure you can get away with it but i have seen some rather fat teenage girls with roled up skirts[i,m a fat bird] they look ridiculous tbh i cant seem to remember this being an issue when i was at school rolled down socks however and permed hair stuck on the top of your head witha can of hairspray keeping it in place were de rigeur sp?

I never wore a minge skimming school skirt. <deprived>

jamdonut Tue 16-Apr-13 21:53:44

Girls are not allowed skirts above the knee or skintight trousers at my DC's school. That's an instant send home.But the majority of the girls wear trousers. Oh, and black shoes which must not be trainers or have flashes of colour anywhere,and no flat "dolly" shoes!And no fancy headbands or artificial flowers in their hair, or outrageously dyed hair. Even Dip-dyed means a sending home! However, they never seem to say anything about the orange girls. hmm

Jengnr Tue 16-Apr-13 21:54:05

It's how it is. You roll the skirt up at the end of the road and down again at the end on the way home.

Or that's what we did anyway, 20-ishyears ago

Fudgemallowdelight Tue 16-Apr-13 21:56:01

When i was at high school we could wear any navy skirt we liked. I don't remember anyone wearing a mini skirt. Longer skirts seemed to be more fashionable (80s.) I've wondered if now that schools tend to insist on a regulation skirt from the uniform shop, they wear it mini because it is the only way they have left to show off. We could show off by wearing a fashionable skirt. Or maybe it is because i went to an all girls school so there were no boys to impress?

Startail Tue 16-Apr-13 22:01:24

Now if school had a moan about DD2's skirt I wouldn't complain because I strongly suspect she does roll hers up. She was very cross the shop, knowing school had changed the rules, wouldn't sell her a shorter one.

DD2 is never going to be convinced that school isn't the place for fashion, anymore than I can convincer to wear regulation scout trousers.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Tue 16-Apr-13 22:06:52

Its like this at the secondary near us which is a very strict faith school!

we would have been sent home in my day, they aren't rolled up ones they are skin tight ones and look awful!

cardibach Tue 16-Apr-13 22:07:22

YABU to expect the teachers to 'send them home to put a more appropriate skirt on'. surely this is the parents' role? If you had asked AIBU to expect parents to ensure their daughters aren't wearing inappropriate skirts, I would have agreed.

DS1 is going on a school trip tomorrow-no uniform. Oh the angst about what to wear. hmm

Dress down days are usually very amusing.

MNBlackpoolandFylde Tue 16-Apr-13 22:10:47

dd embarrassed a boy last week by loudly proclaiming she could see his boxer shorts, he was about 14.

Phineyj Tue 16-Apr-13 22:12:34

We do send them home to put a more appropriate skirt on! Or make them wear something horrible out of the lost property cupboard. But I don't know how we could control what girls wear on the way to and from school... It has definitely got more extreme re tightness (lycra fabrics don't help) -- I was sitting in reception one day and was treated to the sight of a girl's pants as she was walking down the staircase...ugh...

elQuintoConyo Tue 16-Apr-13 22:18:38

I sure as hell did this and I left school in '91 with more A-levels than I had skirt-inches! I liked my legs, thought I looked cooool and sexy and liked pissing off the teachers (strict boarding school).

ParadiseChick Tue 16-Apr-13 22:20:45

I think it's more concerning that it's you making the sexual links. It's a piece of fabric, it's got nothing to do with sex, the girls are just wearing it - it's you that's deciding there's something sexual involved.

malinois Tue 16-Apr-13 22:36:18

But we MUST have uniforms! Otherwise schoolchildren will start dressing like this or, the HORROR! this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now