To laugh at the UKIP party political broadcast

(168 Posts)
FreudiansSlipper Mon 15-Apr-13 18:39:43

just switched on the news to be confronted by a London cab driver (stating that he does not want foreigners human rights put above those of this country) and token Asian man (business man wanting more support for business not our tax going to Brussels)

could it have been more predictable grin

on a serious note Nigel Farage should not be written off

kyya Sun 30-Jun-13 15:27:50

Take a look at there manifesto, compared to the three other parties which are exactly the same in my view as in only out for their own interests and full of public school boy millionaires UKIP policy seems to genuinely deal with issues affecting us.

A vote for for Labour/ Tory or the Libs is a vote for things to get worse, nothing has changed under these and nothing ever will, its your fault the country is in such a disastrous state as you believe the left wing BBC slur campaigns and blindly follow, go on their website then compare it to the oxford 3 party sites and then decide instead of regurgitating lies.

people who arent interested in politics deserve bad governments, we have never had such incompetent fools in charge in the history of the UK and the first time a party comes along that may make an actual difference people just lie and ridicule them.

I am voting UKIP as i would be ashamed to look my kids in the eye and tell them I voted for Conservative, Labour or the libs and sold their future and their country away.

I knew a UKIP councillor. He was a pleasant enough man, but also a self-confessed racist. Evidently, this did not bother UKIP.

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 20:11:55

ComposHat

Flatpack It is interesting, they are opposed to the EU as it exists and don't want it to function as an economic or cultural bloc - which puts them on a more Eurosceptic or perhaps more accurately an EU-sceptic footing than the Tories.

Well then they make the same mistake that everyone makes about the EU, which is imagining they can remake it in their chosen image. .

I'd take issue with your figures on imigration and the way you present them. Net migration 2003 -2012 was 2 million, of which 38% were students, a sizeable proportion of whom will have left after completing their courses (I know all about dodgy student vias, but that isn't the majority of cases).

Well you can always take a look at the latest census figures and compare them to the country as it was in 2001. I think 5 million is probably an underestimate, given the number of people who came on a student visa and then disappeared. Yes, many British people left the UK, mostly for our ex-colonies in the antipodes and Canada, so the net figure is lower. But I think your imagined 1.5 million over 10 years is way off the mark. We had a million Poles arrive. Many of them have settled down and had families.

Again, it depends where and how you live as to whether or not you see it. But it's there.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 19:50:30

Flatpack It is interesting, they are opposed to the EU as it exists and don't want it to function as an economic or cultural bloc - which puts them on a more Eurosceptic or perhaps more accurately an EU-sceptic footing than the Tories.

policy.greenparty.org.uk/eu

I'd take issue with your figures on imigration and the way you present them. Net migration 2003 -2012 was 2 million, of which 38% were students, a sizeable proportion of whom will have left after completing their courses (I know all about dodgy student vias, but that isn't the majority of cases).

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 19:37:28

ComposHat
I don't know, as I'm neither anti-EU (although it is in need of reform) and think the risks of migration are overstated and the opportunities neglected, it isn't something I'm looking to do.

But the Green party is quite Eurosceptic I think.

No, they're pro-EU and want full membership. I can't recall for certain without looking at their website but I think their GE manifesto said they were in favour of joining the Euro.

On the subject of immigration, whether or not you're in favour of mass immigration (and 5 million gross in 10 years - or 8% of the UK population - is mass in my book) usually depends on whether or not your job and life opportunities are improved by it. For example, public sector workers, whose salaries are guaranteed by the state, are more in favour than private sector workers whose salaries have fallen in many sectors.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 19:34:33

I don't know, as I'm neither anti-EU (although it is in need of reform) and think the risks of migration are overstated and the opportunities neglected, it isn't something I'm looking to do.

But the Green party is quite Eurosceptic I think.

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 19:30:40

Incidentally, I think that people are choosing UKIP for some of its policies, but not all of them. I agree that their policies are also contradictory in places and that's because, like all political parties UKIP is made up of more than one person, and where you have two (or more) people interested in politics, you have an argument. UKIP does need to get its policy vacuum sorted out, and do some serious costings on its tax cut measures, which, while they are by and large worthy need some numbers behind them. Where would UKIP cut? They've said the quangos will go and the powers will be returned to the county councils, but that won't save all the money needed to cut taxes.

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 19:28:09

ComposHat

Right sorry for misunderstanding!

Even so, but if people are more aware of the sort of party they are handing thei protest vote to, they may think again about the wisdom of selecting them as the recipiant of their protest vote.

Where do you suggest they put their protest vote in to? Which party offers them a chance to object to mass immigration and EU membership? Which party doesn't have any MPs and doesn't represent a powerful political class which has no grasp of the real world?

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 19:19:17

Right sorry for misunderstanding!

Even so, but if people are more aware of the sort of party they are handing thei protest vote to, they may think again about the wisdom of selecting them as the recipiant of their protest vote.

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 19:16:48

ComposHat

What are these excellent policies? All their spokemsen (and they are all men) come across as golf club bores, whose polices seem cribbed from a Daily Mail editorial.

When they are placed under scrutiny by the media their crazy proposals - for example their 'flat tax' proposals which will cost lower and middle earners a fortune and will deliver a tax cut for the wealthy or their policy on cutting maternity pay - will make them look like the extreme right wing swivel eyed idiots they are.

It is an illogical grab bag of petty prejudices. They market themselves as a'libertarian party' but if they claim to be a 'libertarian' party - why the opposition to gay marriage?

Surely if they believe in the freedom of the individual from the state, then surely that should include the 'liberty' to marry someone of your chosing?

My point was not 'UKIP's policies are excellent' but 'Your logic only applies if people are choosing UKIP for its policies rather than to stick two fingers up to the other parties'.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 18:31:00

It is an illogical grab bag of petty prejudices. They market themselves as a'libertarian party' but if they claim to be a 'libertarian' party - why the opposition to gay marriage?

Surely if they believe in the freedom of the individual from the state, then surely that should include the 'liberty' to marry someone of your chosing?

Dawndonna Mon 29-Apr-13 18:25:53

If you read the article, you may note that they're having trouble finding policies. Those they do have are racist, disablist, anti women. The fiscal policies so far discussed are farcical.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 18:21:41

If people are voting UKIP because they like their excellent policies on a range of issues

What are these excellent policies? All their spokemsen (and they are all men) come across as golf club bores, whose polices seem cribbed from a Daily Mail editorial.

When they are placed under scrutiny by the media their crazy proposals - for example their 'flat tax' proposals which will cost lower and middle earners a fortune and will deliver a tax cut for the wealthy or their policy on cutting maternity pay - will make them look like the extreme right wing swivel eyed idiots they are.

flatpackhamster Mon 29-Apr-13 18:01:04

If people are voting UKIP because they like their excellent policies on a range of issues, then that might happen. If they're voting UKIP to stick a massive two fingers up to all the self entitled shuffle munchers who are making such a dog's breakfast of running the country, then it won't happen.

ComposHat Mon 29-Apr-13 17:59:46

I think the more a spotlight is shone onto UKIP it will be counter productive, til now they haven't really been scrutinised to any degree and not much scrutiny has been paid to anything other than their anti-EU, anti-imigration tubthumping.

If they have to start to explain what their policy is on a range of issues, people will see their policies in these areas are either batshit crazy or non-existent. I think a similar thing happened to Nick Griffin when he was on question time and made himself look like a complete tool.

Dawndonna Sun 28-Apr-13 11:55:20
thermalsinapril Sun 28-Apr-13 09:31:47

> I also accept that people who have religious beliefs should not be made to officiate. (I am an atheist myself.)

That's an interesting one Reasonrules. On the one hand religious organisations can have a blanket ban on gay marriage. But on the other hand, this leaves no room for the more liberal religious people to have this opportunity. It would be nice if each (insert religious leader) could at least make their own personal choice about this, rather than being banned from officiating.

Dawndonna Sun 28-Apr-13 09:29:42

· Keep the NHS free at the point of delivery and make no cuts to frontline services
· Replace overlapping tiers of NHS bureaucracy (SHAs/PCTs) with locally-elected County Health Boards
Introduce private sector ‘franchise partnerships’ to run NHS healthcare services better, while assets remain in public hands
· Introduce ‘Health Credit Vouchers’ to allow people to opt out of the NHS if they wish
· Re-examine community care and support congregate communities for people with learning disabilities
· Restore free NHS dental check-ups and eye tests
So privatise the NHS and lock disabled people up. Nice. hmm

If UKIP is the alternative, that's no bad thing at all.

Fargo86 Sun 28-Apr-13 03:43:30

It's not "wrong" at all. Demonising UKIP just helps to keep the establied parties in power.

Reasonrules

Quoting you: "I do not really understand why they are so keen to support marriage as an institution because in my opinion marriage has historically through out the world mainly been used to pass inherited wealth to the next generation, nearly always to the male first born so keeping women in their place."

I'm not surprised you don't understand.

It explains why you don't understand a number of things, including why supporting UKIP is wrong.

ComposHat Fri 26-Apr-13 20:08:54

Farage is a bigot in sheep's clothing

I'd say he was a bigot in 'Man at C&A' clothing.

infamouspoo Fri 26-Apr-13 18:19:25

I was in Greece not so long ago and got to hear their version of UKIP blithering on about immigrants and jews. Its Europe wide this awfulness.

thermalsinapril Fri 26-Apr-13 15:15:54

Farage is a bigot in sheep's clothing. More dangerous than an obvious, unfriendly-looking bigot IMHO. A charismatic bigot is the worst sort.

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 26-Apr-13 15:14:58

It's the economy. Every time there's a recession, the first handy group of people to take out on are the immigrants. If he has a job and I have a job, no problem. If I don't have a job but he still has a job, wtf, why does that foreigner have that job? I could have that job!

If people in my home country were slathering over their version of UKIP, people here would be laughing at the rednecks and how backward Americans can be. UKIPers just have suits and better accents. They're selling you the same hatred, just in a fancier package. It's very dangerous, and when I see these adverts I'm worried that we've settled over here. It's not a good place to be foreign, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better. (It will follow the economy, basically, and that hasn't hit bottom yet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now