to think Golden Delicious are posher than Granny Smiths?

(151 Posts)
mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 17:55:16

I've always thought Granny Smiths are really common, whereas Golden Delicious have an air of sophistication and understated glamour.

TheRealFellatio Mon 15-Apr-13 18:58:49

I don't care if GD and Braeburn are related. I fancy my husband but I don't fancy his brother.

5318008 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:06:58

God no, yuk

We like Spartan, and Worcester Pearmain, and are partial to Early Windsor, too. Cox Orange Pippin too. MMMMM.

Helps living in Apple Country, can't imagine twould be easy to get these olde varieties in your average Tesco

XBenedict Mon 15-Apr-13 19:10:03

I don't care if GD and Braeburn are related. I fancy my husband but I don't fancy his brother.

Love this analogy, so works for me ewwwww!

echt Mon 15-Apr-13 19:13:05

To steal from John Waters, Golden Delicious are the polyester of apples. Utterly grim. They're apples for learners, something pappy bland before gearing up for the real thing.
Very sad you can't get russets or Cox's in Australia. Or Bradley's. Fuji are very good though. Not keen on the ubiquitous Pink Lady apples.
Now I think of it, Cox's Orange Pippins have changed for the worse over time in the UK. They used to be large and with distinctly yellow flesh, but had become smaller, white-fleshed and with a less distinct flavour.

armagh Mon 15-Apr-13 19:14:21

You can keep your Granny Smiths, your Golden Delicious, your Pink Ladies, your (bitter)Braeburn, your Gala, your Jazz....,it's Fuji for me! smile
But they are bery difficult to get

helenthemadex Mon 15-Apr-13 19:22:59

Golden delicious are not an apple they are water in the shape of an apple

YABVVU

I'm a Gala girl.

Bloody hate, hate, hate green apples.

Blu Mon 15-Apr-13 19:28:54

If I have a mass produced apple Braeburn is good.

I like Discovery best.

GD and Granny S are both horrible and lacking in character, fragrance, subtley or anything else interesting.

They are OK for shoving through the juicer with other things.

cocolepew Mon 15-Apr-13 19:29:00

Urgh, I can't be doing with those Gala ones, delusions of grandeur.
I like Jazz but can't find them anywhere.
Or a nice Macintosh red.

catgirl1976 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:29:15

I craved Pink Ladies when I was pg

Couldn't get enough of them

LaFataTurchina Mon 15-Apr-13 19:38:26

I like brauburns and cooking apples best.

English supermarket apples are all okay on the whole though, Italian supermarket apples are always horrible for some reason.

mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 19:46:25

I think I do judge on apple choice

Branleuse Mon 15-Apr-13 20:10:37

golden disgusting

TheRealFellatio Mon 15-Apr-13 20:15:55

Rymond Blanc recommends GD for making apple tarts with. The fool. apparently they hold their shape better when cooked but I still think he is wrong. The flavour should be the most important thing.

countrykitten Mon 15-Apr-13 20:19:02

I'm with 5318008. We grow Worcester Pearmain and Cox's Orange Pippins and have an old Bramley tree which produces far too many cookers for anyone to consume!

Oldies are best although I will eat a Jazz apple as they are quite tasty too.

countrykitten Mon 15-Apr-13 20:21:46

cocolepew both Sainsburys and Morrisons stock Jazz apples.

OP - GD are really not good. Not at all. In a battle of apples the GS would beat the fuck out of the GD and then trample it to death which would not be difficult as they are so mushy to begin with

apostropheuse Mon 15-Apr-13 20:26:52

Granny Smiths leave me in spasms of sharp shooting pains for hours afterwards. I tend not to eat them strangely.

I love an Eve's Delight, straight from the Garden of Eden, but they're incredibly rare ...once a millennium. Still, they're my apple of choice.

SueDoku Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:47

Worcester Pearmain - no other apple comes close to perfection...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 15-Apr-13 21:01:21

Golden delicious are a horrid apple, with no taste or texture. The most inferior of apples.

Granny smith are really nice, haven't had one for ages and now I really want one!

AnyoneforTurps Mon 15-Apr-13 21:07:56

Another vote for egremont russets. You can get them in Waitrose in the autumn.

Golden delicious are unspeakably common <<shudders>>.

ariadneoliver Mon 15-Apr-13 21:10:14

You can get russets in Waitrose at the moment, stock up while you can. grin

ForYourEyesYoniBrian Mon 15-Apr-13 21:16:30

We have a lovely Worcester tree in the garden. For 3 weeks each autumn we fight the wasps to eat them and then the flesh goes soft like a normal bleuchy golden delicious and not another is eaten until the following year.

UptheChimney Mon 15-Apr-13 21:17:28

Here, OP biscuit

grin wink

mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 21:30:58

Thanks for the biscuit upthechimney, but I'm an apple type. Posh GD

Stinkyminkymoo Mon 15-Apr-13 21:44:05

Ooh a Braeburn for me! Crisp, tangy and delish! I'm also partial to a Pink Lady as are the horses but I don't tell DH this

Golden Delicious are a poor excuse for an apple, it's not a cheddar (which is an excellent cheese FYI), it's the Edam of cheese - bleugh!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now