Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Golden Delicious are posher than Granny Smiths?

(151 Posts)
mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 17:55:16

I've always thought Granny Smiths are really common, whereas Golden Delicious have an air of sophistication and understated glamour.

MrsLettuce Mon 15-Apr-13 17:55:51

hmm

YoniLovesChachi Mon 15-Apr-13 17:59:15

YABU. Golden Delicious are for people who don't really like apples. They're the equivalent of mild cheddar.

squoosh Mon 15-Apr-13 17:59:49

Golden Delicious are vile common little things. The crumbliness makes me shiver. Bleurgh.

I don't like either - Braeburn or Pink Lady for me!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 15-Apr-13 18:00:09

The poshest apples of ALL are the Egremont Russet. End of.

Sugarice Mon 15-Apr-13 18:00:14

Golden Delish are rank.

Now give me a Jonagold any day.

culturemulcher Mon 15-Apr-13 18:00:22

Funnily enough, I watched a programme about apple growing once (as you do when you're bored) and Golden Delicious are really looked down on by apple growers - along with all the other apple types that use the same root system (not a gardener. don't know what it's called - before they graft on the other bit) like Braeburn, Gala, etc.

Can't believe I just found a use for 20 mins mindless channel surfing smile

Crinkle77 Mon 15-Apr-13 18:00:35

Give me an english apple anyday. Far more flavour than those horrible golden delicious or Granny Smith

Urghhh - they are vile - pappy and tasteless. YABVVU

Mutt Mon 15-Apr-13 18:01:01

Golden Delicious are foul - watery, lacking in flavour and no-one with any taste would be seen dead with one.

They are for children who don't like the sharp and sophisticated taste of a Granny Smith.

And I'm only a little bit joking!

TheNebulousBoojum Mon 15-Apr-13 18:01:47

Golden Delicious are the nadir of mass apple production.

mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 18:07:47

You are obviously all wrong and I am right.

Did someone mention Pink Lady? They have vair posh prices.

gobbin Mon 15-Apr-13 18:07:48

I agree about Egremont Russets. Only used to get them in Safeway in autumn round here, but Morrisons haven't had them since, shame.

All the main apple varieties on sale in supermarkets are crap in my opinion. Either pappy or rock hard/bitter.

mcmooncup Mon 15-Apr-13 18:12:07

What are these Egremont Russets that you speak of? Green? Red? Posh? Common?

HeathRobinson Mon 15-Apr-13 18:13:31

Egremont Russets - yum. Roll on autumn!

muffinmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 18:14:14

Can't believe no-one has put in a word for Coxes. The John Lewis of apples - posh in a sensible, unshowy way.

scarredpierced Mon 15-Apr-13 18:14:36

Golden Delicious are just wrong.
Pink Lady is where it's at!

Nerfmother Mon 15-Apr-13 18:16:48

Pippins, coxes, not blardy loo roll golden delicious. Sorry op.

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Apr-13 18:19:04

You are joking, right? Golden Delicious are the lowest of the low.

All other apples are nicer. Pink Lady are delicious, as are Coxes, Pippins, Braeburns and frankly anything else, including Granny Smiths.

<gavel>

quesadilla Mon 15-Apr-13 18:19:21

No, no, no. Golden Delicious are the apple equivalent of people who say "pardon" because they think (wrongly) that its less common that "what?" Like having net curtains and antimacassars.

drjohnsonscat Mon 15-Apr-13 18:19:42

Golden delicious are an abomination. Granny Smiths, whatev.

Only English apples please. The only time it is acceptable to buy anything else is when English apples are out of season. Then I will deign to allow a pink lady into my house but at all other times, English only. Rah rah rah. But also just because they are simply better.

AuntLucyInPeru Mon 15-Apr-13 18:19:46

Coxes, the John Lewis apples grin
Was just thinking the same thing grin

Theicingontop Mon 15-Apr-13 18:20:28

Every single granny smith I've had in the last year or so have been absolutely vile.

I've converted to pink ladies. Now they are classy.

Coxes - the best tasting apple, bar none. I ate two this afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now