to think this is rude? Wedding invite/Gift related.

(111 Posts)
DearJohnLoveSavannah Mon 15-Apr-13 16:05:42

I've been invited to a wedding in June, I used to be quite close to the bride (lived together for 2 years) however due to her moving away, busy lives etc we only get to chat now and again - mostly over email.

I got an invite to her wedding as an evening guest - which from the above of us not being as close anymore is totally fine. All day guests should be for family and close friends.

The part that annoys me is that included in my invitation was a gift list. I've had a look and the cheapest thing I could see was £60.

Is it cheeky to expect or hope that people who have only been invited to the evening reception to buy you something an all day guest would?

ZenNudist Thu 18-Apr-13 18:45:32

I included gift list with evening invites. But I didn't expect anything per se. At the time I didn't mumsnet so I had no idea it was 'cheeky' I just thought it standard and never thought anything of other people for doing it.

There's no obligation to get a gift for an evening do. Personally if I like someone I want to buy them a wedding gift. It will be remembered for years afterwards.

Mind you I do still remember certain people who didn't get us anything!!!!

Moominsarehippos Thu 18-Apr-13 19:27:28

We once got a wedding list from Harrods and it was made clear that this was what they expected (well they could expect all they wanted as far I was concerned). The cheapest thing on the list was over £100 and we were all in our mid twenties.

They were up their own derrières though, with an extremely lavish wedding, well over a thousand guests and the wedding was over within two years.

Moominsarehippos Thu 18-Apr-13 19:28:06

Don't get me wrong - lists are great and very useful but sometimes they can be compiled and presented in an extremely grabby way.

Really? shock

When I use things, I think "awwh, N gave us this casserole dish" or "Uncle J gave us this mirror". I didn't compare my list of thank-yous to write against the guest list hmm

Moominsarehippos Thu 18-Apr-13 19:51:05

I suspect this pair did. They were definitely the type. The wedding was a nightmare of onemanupship and dress/jewels comparisons.

Allthingspretty Thu 18-Apr-13 20:15:52

Buy some tea towels and toothbrushes from the pound shops. Always handy

<not helpful>

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Apr-13 20:36:18

Probably handier than an over priced piece of crap from Harrods.

Allthingspretty Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:24

If you wanted you cpuld always personalise the tea towels grin

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Apr-13 21:10:39

Actually, we got a set of "his and her" (our names) hand towels, which naff as they sound, I really loved. Used them till they wore out smile

Kytti Fri 19-Apr-13 02:39:41

You see, I had a gift list, but it had tons of cheaper stuff from £10.00 on it, and a voucher option. Ten years later and I still have 90% of it. (The rest having been smashed by small children. Tsk!)

I quite like them, but think they shouldn't ask for cash or really expensive things. £60.00 is taking the piss. Asking for cash is crass.

I still think you should go with a towel. grin Or a voucher for the shop for £20.00 or something.

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:33:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now