Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask if you pay money for good school reports?

(136 Posts)
whokilleddannylatimer Mon 15-Apr-13 13:27:35

Because three other parents have all expressed shock and that IABU that I do not, the children are in primary school, I have never even thought about it to be honest, I just told and expected the dc to try their hardest and praised them when they have.

Its never crossed my mind to pay them for it!

marriedinwhiteagain Thu 18-Apr-13 20:26:50

Indeedy!!!!!

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Apr-13 20:40:07

No way! If the school can't motivate my DC to try hard, then I'd be looking for another school. (Well, DS1 try's hard for him, but not compared to some really keen girls.)

The academic bit should follow. If they've tried hard, they will do as well as they can. There is no way I'm going to reward DS1 for achieving well academically with not that much effort, when another of my DC will achieve nowhere near his levels at the same age, but will have worked really hard.

I go to work because I need the money...my DC go to school because I drop them off there every morning.

I do reward my DC if they've had a difficult teacher....usually a meal out at the end of the year, to say well done for surviving that! (The teacher is probably in a different restaurant drinking wine and congratulating themselves on surviving a year with my DC grin)

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 21:33:04

DC go to school because they need an education Lynette...not because you drop them off....of course, if it weren't for you, they'd probably not bother....but that's besides the point.

The point is that you work for money because you've done your time...got an education and DC have not. They must learn work ethics before they learn that hard work begets money.

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Apr-13 21:42:02

Judging by the grammar of my last post, I didn't get a very good education, though. grin

And my DC don't go to school because they need an education, they go because I need free childcare.

(That was a joke, btw)

bedmonster Thu 18-Apr-13 21:46:21

We treat for good reports. Well as they are only 7 and 8, they have always had good reports, so we usually have a fun trip out somewhere as a family, or go out for a meal of their choosing etc. Family time is not exactly rare, but DP works weekdays and saturdays and sometimes sundays too so we like to make the most of it when we can. We just had school reports out and they were both great, and DP gave them both some money to buy themselves a book (they thought this was a fabulous treat as they are both bookworms), and we took them to the seaside for a nice family evening to say a big well done to them. I think they really valued it and felt proud.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 18-Apr-13 22:11:50

Lynette! grin

KatyDid02 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:15:14

My DCs get a new book (as they both love reading) if they have got good marks for effort on their school reports. I think that's reasonable, I wouldn't be comfortable with rewarding achievement though as I think effort is what matters.

Actually we rewarded DS1 for getting (unexpected) 5s in his Y6 SATs. Not because it mattered or anything but because it did wonders for his confidence (and confidence is an issue) and we wanted to bolster that.

KatyDid02 Fri 19-Apr-13 07:00:52

Well done to your DS Arbitary, I'd have rewarded that too smile

hollyisalovelyname Sun 21-Apr-13 12:00:00

Yeah i paid the teacher a thousand pounds. DS still got an E- in Maths.
THIS IS A JOKE by the waygrin

JamieOliveOil Sun 21-Apr-13 12:54:55

We had Parents Evening this week and the feedback for DC was great - their treat was a chinese on Friday night, which they very much appreciated and enjoyed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now