To ask if you pay money for good school reports?

(136 Posts)
whokilleddannylatimer Mon 15-Apr-13 13:27:35

Because three other parents have all expressed shock and that IABU that I do not, the children are in primary school, I have never even thought about it to be honest, I just told and expected the dc to try their hardest and praised them when they have.

Its never crossed my mind to pay them for it!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 15-Apr-13 13:29:29

I have heard of financial rewards for secondary-level dc (GCSEs and so forth) but primary seems a bit... confused

MandragoraWurzelstock Mon 15-Apr-13 13:30:14

no never.

No way will I do this.
A good report should be its own reward.

CantThinkOfAYoniPun Mon 15-Apr-13 13:31:33

I read that twice before I realised you didn't mean paying the teachers to write good reports. I need to get more sleep...

Molehillmountain Mon 15-Apr-13 13:31:58

Oh lord, I read your op as if there was some way of paying teachers to write good school reports! Corruption rife in schools! No, we don't pay. We might have a family treat to celebrate a year of hard work but not individual.

seeker Mon 15-Apr-13 13:32:43

Why not?

Do you go to work for the pleasure of doing a good job? Is the knowledge of a job well done not its own reward?

Molehillmountain Mon 15-Apr-13 13:33:03

Great sleep deprived minds think alike, cantthink!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 13:33:09

No I don't. I give lots' of praise and remind my child to be proud of themselves.

ATJabberwocky Mon 15-Apr-13 13:33:14

I don't pay my DCs for good grades, if they need money to make them do their homework and pay attention in school then IMHO they aren't really putting the effort in. I may have brought books as a rewards, brought DS a cookie, but nothing more than that. But then again I expect my DC to earn their pocket money. something which other parents don't seem to do.

seeker Mon 15-Apr-13 13:33:22

(I thought it was going to be a private school thread!!!!!!!!!!)

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 13:33:49

Seeker...I work for the pleasure of it...not only for the money. And education is a privilege not a chore.

CantThinkOfAYoniPun Mon 15-Apr-13 13:34:08

grin

I do reward my DC sometimes for good reports. It's not usually money though. Maybe a new book or lunch at McDs.

chicaguapa Mon 15-Apr-13 13:34:43

Yes, we give DC £1 for each 1 for effort (which means always tries their best) and A for attainment. This started because both were quite unmotivated and their effort was dipping, whilst still achieving As for attainment. So we wanted to reward hard work, but then didn't feel we could ignore the attainment.

Thewhingingdefective Mon 15-Apr-13 13:34:47

Bloody heck, no way.

I just tell my kids I am proud of them and say well done. Isn't that enough?

whokilleddannylatimer Mon 15-Apr-13 13:34:55

Sorry crap grammar, definately mean children not teachers!

seeker Mon 15-Apr-13 13:35:48

". And education is a privilege not a chore."

Tell that to the average 11 year old!

nokidshere Mon 15-Apr-13 13:37:10

Some children need more incentives than others. Some parents might think its a good way to help their children concentrate their minds. Some parents might have more money than sense?

Why does it matter? I have been known to treat my children after a particularly good report - I like to reward their efforts sometimes.

My teenager was promised something that he really wanted if he was able to get his grade up by 2 sub levels in a lesson that he hates. He put in a lot of extra effort and achieved it - so he got his item.

quoteunquote Mon 15-Apr-13 13:37:59

No, I impress upon them that it is their achievement for themselves, all that they do is for their own future.

I always congratulation them on putting in effort, It's effort I praise.

and all have done exceptionally well.

I did when the eldest was doing GCSE and As, when he bought up that all of his friends were getting cash rewards, offer to give him cash(£50 to £100) for any he didn't get the grades he wanted on, as he would need the money more in life then, as not so many doors would be open to him, didn't need to pay him any, he got highest marks possible on all of them, because he gets who he is working for.

We go out for a family meal and they get to choose where. We don't reward with money.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 13:38:42

Seeker that's irrelevant. They need to know they're lucky to have a good education and to be helped to learn the pleasure in knowledge.

Trills Mon 15-Apr-13 13:39:29

When I read the title I thought you meant pay money to the school or teacher...

nokidshere Mon 15-Apr-13 13:39:46

Seeker...I work for the pleasure of it...not only for the money. And education is a privilege not a chore.

hahahaha thats possibly the funniest thiing I have heard on mn this week!!!!

insanityscratching Mon 15-Apr-13 13:42:08

Yes I treat mine for good reports, I don't see the harm in it tbh. When they are younger I buy them something and give them cash as they get older.

I treat the DC for a good report, but not in a set way.

I did financially reward them for their GCSEs.

Can't see whats wrong with it, plus we've generally had good results and I think thats what matters, pulling it out the bag when it counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now