To absolutely hate soft play parties...so much that when I know I have to attend one..

(158 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 13:25:21

it ruins my entire day. I can't BEAR the places...we never visit them as a family because the noise and constant selling of crap annoys the hell out of me.

DD2 is 5 and has 2 this week. The parties are both for good friends of hers.

She's not comortable with me leaving her with a friend's mum yet so I have to stay. DH can't take her...they're both at 4.00pm.

I HATE THEM! Sitting for 2 hours in a loud, grubby place and being obliged to spend 8 quid on 2 coffees just to have something to do.

Am I alone? My hatred of them seems quite imbalanced almost.

rosabel Fri 26-Apr-13 21:27:59

ha ha, as Proud black woman, I salute you Mrs MacFarlane!! You go girl, hmmmm

GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 26-Apr-13 19:27:01

snort. I bet this discussion wasn't anticipated when they made this a Discussion of the Day. grin

I really have nothing to add to this, except that this thread is far more entertaining than any soft play hell I've been to. Thankfully ASD DS rarely gets random party invites (it always seems to be the group invites from nursery which are soft play) so the parties we do go to are smallish and at someone's house.

BTW Perhaps it's apparent that I hadn't read the "white trash" derailment before posting. Not nice to call any person "trash" now is it ?

I've enjoyed many hours with my 2 DCs at local soft plays over the years - a couple of hours peace to settle down with a good book and a brew after picking them up from school, or on a slightly drizzly Saturday afternoon in November. Also been to and hosted some very happy BDay parties where everyone can catch up in a child-friendly space without the hassle and stress of hosting a party at home.
There is one soft play from hell though - where the cafe part is right up against a towering wall of soft play madness - children walled in like in some American ghetto prison. Indescribable noise. That one is a tad less relaxing grin

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 17:11:49

No breath you are not invisiblegrin

If not being racist or insulting towards a section of society makes me dull then great! I will enjoy my dull life. wink

Figgygal Fri 26-Apr-13 16:59:57

Christ not getting into the racism debates ..... mainly because I haven't read as far enough to work out what this is all about.

But in terms of the soft play they really aren't that bad or maybe you have just been to really bad ones!!

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Fri 26-Apr-13 16:59:36

Are my posts really invisible? I'm starting to worry now.

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:57:24

You really are one of the dullest posters I've ever encountered. I have to go now so don't think you've "won". I'm off to a birthday party, thankfully not at soft play...smile

Keep polishing your halo sweetheart and find something more pressing to be canting and specious about next time.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:56:17

So are you because you think it is perfectly ok to insult a whole section of society based on one encounter with a problem family who happen to be white.

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Fri 26-Apr-13 16:56:07

MrsMacFarlane, I opposed your use of this term too and yet you seem stuck on entering into an argument with ChocolateCakePlease, are my opinions of no worth here? <ponders own invisibility again>

Prejudice is just that, prejudice. It is never nice and is always offensive.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:54:36

The racism is in the word white.

"Low life trash" is not racist, more insulting.

"White low life trash" is.

Why bring the colour of skin into it? Trouble families aren't exclusive to white people so why bring the colour of skin into the insult?

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:53:35

Chocolate, you're like a stuck record. What do you expect to happen? Me to "retract" my statement and "apologise" to the "white community" (of which I am a member).

Eh, naw.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:50:47

"However, in the wider community a lot of the children are enduring this kind of crap."

Yes they are and also there is a section of society who have to take being called low life white trash on the chin too.

ItsOkayItsJustMyBreath Fri 26-Apr-13 16:50:12

It's not so much racism but an offensive term used for a specific socio-economic group. I'm not sure what that would be called, classism maybe?

It was unnecessary and uncalled for hence being picked up for it. Just because people use this type of language in everyday life it doesn't take away its power.

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:49:23

^^ Man alive, you really are clutching at straws aren't you. For your own self respect Chocolate, give it up.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:48:31

Tantrums - if someone kept saying to your son "Come on you low life black trash, get a move on" during the game would that be acceptable?

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:46:52

Racism is my son being repeatedly called the n word whilst playing football last month.

There's so much actual racism in the world. You don't have to try and find it where it doesn't exist.

Tantrums..so sorry your son is enduring this. I work in a multi racial school and for the most part, racism is not an issue simply BECAUSE it's so diverse. However, in the wider community a lot of the children are enduring this kind of crap.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:45:56

"Is it actually necessary to bring racism in to every thing?
When it isn't actually there?"

"White trash" is a very offensive and derogatory term towards a section of society.

chocolate it's not racism.

Racism is my son being repeatedly called the n word whilst playing football last month.

There's so much actual racism in the world. You don't have to try and find it where it doesn't exist.

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:44:05

And? That gives you the right to call a whole section of society white trash? Your justifications are shocking.

MN doesn't tolerate racism, no matter how well you try to justify it with your "all the nasty people i have encountered have been white" nonsense.

Oh dear dear me, I'm possibly going to be reported/kicked off an anonymous forum...however will I pick up the pieces....

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:42:22

Thank you TantrumsandBalloons. I made a throwaway remark upthread and ChocolateCake pounced on it like a tramp on chips.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:42:00

And? That gives you the right to call a whole section of society white trash? Your justifications are shocking.

MN doesn't tolerate racism, no matter how well you try to justify it with your "all the nasty people i have encountered have been white" nonsense.

It's actually amazing that this thread has gone from soft play to racism on the basis of the comment of "white trash"

Is it actually necessary to bring racism in to every thing?
When it isn't actually there?

MrsMacFarlane Fri 26-Apr-13 16:38:03

So do I. It just so happens that nearly all the nasty bastards I've encountered in my 48 years on this earth have been white. FACT.

ChocolateCakePlease Fri 26-Apr-13 16:35:54

I prefer to base my like/dislike based on the individual person rather than just based on what colour their skin is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now