To absolutely hate soft play parties...so much that when I know I have to attend one..

(158 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 13:25:21

it ruins my entire day. I can't BEAR the places...we never visit them as a family because the noise and constant selling of crap annoys the hell out of me.

DD2 is 5 and has 2 this week. The parties are both for good friends of hers.

She's not comortable with me leaving her with a friend's mum yet so I have to stay. DH can't take her...they're both at 4.00pm.

I HATE THEM! Sitting for 2 hours in a loud, grubby place and being obliged to spend 8 quid on 2 coffees just to have something to do.

Am I alone? My hatred of them seems quite imbalanced almost.

nenevomito Mon 15-Apr-13 14:12:42

Love this thread, especially since I booked my DS's birthday party at a soft play yesterday grin.

The knowledge that while the kids are having a great time the parents are suffering brings me untold joy.

forevergreek Mon 15-Apr-13 14:14:14

Herrera- yep the poo was reported several times by several people at least. Friends who's child's party it was actually received a full refund as it was so disgusting, but still the staff didn't really do anything ( think they just shut bouncey castle for a while)

I'm sure they aren't all shit city's with lord of the flies recreated but those two trips were enough.

piprabbit Mon 15-Apr-13 14:14:42

I quite like soft play one my own with the kids. I take a magazine, have a coffee and hide.

Softplay parties I can live without. Having to make conversation with people who are strangers, but who I can't hear because of a dodgy ear. And if you do find a quite corner for a chat, one or other you is always leaping up and down to see to the kids (because we are all doing super-dooper public parenting). Then everyone shuffles into a small room and stands around watching the children eat. And it is always too hot or too cold, or not enough seats or something which makes it an uncomfortable 2 hours.

Loulybelle Mon 15-Apr-13 14:15:56

I sodding hate them too, one near us, is always noisy, i leave with a headache, because its always so bloody hot.

TerrysNo2 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:16:55

YABU if you don't take them because you don't like it.

I love soft play - me, DS and DD chasing each other around, going down slides and throwing DS around the place without worry of him being hurt - we all love it!! Its far far better than going to the gym IMO.

OzmaofOz Mon 15-Apr-13 14:17:13

I like soft play when we are the only people there, before the plastic smells like sweaty bums.
Hate it otherwise.

SomeBear Mon 15-Apr-13 14:20:06

Thankfully my DCs are too old to be invited to soft play parties, but no, YANBU. The smell and the noise are just too much, I used to make DH most times as he's good at that sort of thing. I can't block out background noise so conversation is difficult - I hadn't made the connection before but it might be a big factor.

Floggingmolly Mon 15-Apr-13 14:20:16

They absolutely are that noisy... Complete hell holes.

SomeBear Mon 15-Apr-13 14:21:43

** used to make DH take them most times. I didn't send him alone.

WaitingForMe Mon 15-Apr-13 14:28:14

I loathe them. I don't even go to my own stepkids' parties there blush

Tailtwister Mon 15-Apr-13 14:28:48

Depends on the soft play tbh. We have a couple of good ones nearby and although they're not my favourite places to go they can be useful on occasion. DS had his party at a soft play place, mostly due to the numbers involved and we simply couldn't fit that many people in our house. Most people came and although I'm sure the parents didn't have the time of their lives, I think they found it tolerable. After all, it's not really about them is it. As long as the kids have fun that's what matters.

If you really can't face it just decline OP.

Jacksterbear Mon 15-Apr-13 14:32:18

A poster on a recent thread described soft play centres during the school hols as the "devil's playpen", which I thought was a bloody brilliant description. grin

OHforDUCKScake Mon 15-Apr-13 14:41:28

I love soft play, for all the reasons you hate it!

I love it when they get to an age when youmcan just sit down and read a book and let the, wonder off and play.

My youngest isnt yet 2 so hes not there yet but I'll take them more when I can.

Its pissing expensive though, cost me £15 to take a 1 year old and 6 year old last week. shock

LadyVoldemort Mon 15-Apr-13 14:58:22

Well I enjoy them if they're at the right venue. I take a magazine and let DS get on with it

Theicingontop Mon 15-Apr-13 15:04:13

I suppose we're lucky, ours ticks all boxes. Reasonably priced food and drink, clean (well, I'm sure they don't manually polish the play pit balls but as clean as you can expect) and the toilets are brilliant and well adapted to potty trainers.

Never been to a softplay party! You have to sit there and chat to the adults? I generally go in and have a play myself, chatting to adults would be very boring. Yanbu.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 22:35:51

Well I'm back and survived but I feel totally wiped out. I don't know why these parties do it to me they just do. The kids had a great time though...so that's what matters really.

The place was gross tho...loo STANK of poo and was dirty. It was dank and not even brightly decorated...rank really. The staff were fun though and the kids loved them.

Did it smell of cheesy feet Neo? That will be my lasting memory of soft play places. And unknown liquids at the bottom of the ball pit. sad

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 22:47:41

Yes Sparkling it did! With a strong undertone of cheap burger. sad

Startail Mon 15-Apr-13 22:49:15

You obviously don't have a compulsive climber.
If you did you would think soft play was heaven.

A couple of hours with coffee and a good book while DD1 scrambled about somewhere where she was allowed to climb.

Two hours off from, no, get down, don't fiddle with that. that. No you can't stand on the chair arm, get off the back of the sofa. DD1, please, you know you can't stand on the radiator. DD1 where on earth did you find a pen, I thought Id hidden them all. DD1 how on earth did yoy get on the draining board????

I couldn't wait to get my two in the bath when the got back from the Wacky Wearyhouse and all clothes straight in the wash. Then I would wash my hands up to my armpits with anti bac soap. grin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 22:53:09

Star she's 5 so at home she plays in the garden mainly...on the climbing frame! She does climb up the bannisters but Im too tired to care quite relaxed about these things.

SpanishFly Mon 15-Apr-13 22:53:35

I wish soft play places would sell wine.

OP, the soft play years don't last for long, just suck it up. Try to find a way to enjoy it - take a book or ipod? Have a massive slab of cake (who cares about the cost if it helps you enjoy it?) Would DD really care if you left her there? Is there a coffee shop nearby you could go to, and allocate a parent DD knows to watch out for her and text you if youre needed?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 15-Apr-13 22:58:49

Well I can't afford to splash out on loads of cafe food Spanish..too tight a budget in general. Also, I can't take ipod or anything as the other Mums would think me very rude.

DD would care if I weren't there...she's 5 and though confident with her mates she's not happy being left without me there in case of anything going wrong.

SpanishFly Mon 15-Apr-13 23:12:49

Buy a cheaper gift for the bday present and buy a slice of cake!

SpanishFly Mon 15-Apr-13 23:13:29

Could you explain that you'd be there in a flash if something happened?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now