Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to have a glass of wine?

(18 Posts)
somewheresomehow Fri 12-Apr-13 22:39:26

i dont do wine but have pinched some of ds2's kraken :P

Hulababy Fri 12-Apr-13 18:50:22

When DD's friend came for a sleepover earlier this week DH and I had a glass or two.
I wouldn't be upset if one of DD's friends parents had a drink whilst DD was with them.

Hey we always start at 6 pm on a Friday ! Friday is G&T whilst attempting the Times crossword ( its easier the more inebriated you become) and then wine with dinner ...its always a hard week ! Im about to pour the 2nd glass ... enjoy wine

YouTheCat Fri 12-Apr-13 18:46:45

I once went to pick dd (then age 7) up from her friend's. The friend's mother was already halfcut. (2/3 of the way down a bottle of wine) and still drinking.

I hung about until her dp got in at 7 and then made my excuses.

Having said that, there's no harm in a swift one after a long week. My wine is chilling and has been all day. grin

ShirazSavedMySanity Fri 12-Apr-13 18:45:59

Friend has gone. Wine is poured. Friday night has arrived.

MichaelPortaloo Fri 12-Apr-13 18:44:45

YABU and are a terrible parent and human being for that matter. You should be ashamed.

hmm

AnyFucker Fri 12-Apr-13 18:42:48

Go on, live dangerously hmm

It's just as well I never had any uptight friends like this back when I was still hosting playdates...

ShirazSavedMySanity Fri 12-Apr-13 18:38:37

I would har had one at 5ish but thought I'd better not. DD is in reception so this is a 'new' friend and I'm not sure about the parents.

Whoknowswhocares Fri 12-Apr-13 18:35:25

Eh? You could still drive the car, you are certainly not going to be too drunk to care for a small child for 15 minutes!
I opened mine at 5pm, so I'm with your hubby

intheshed Fri 12-Apr-13 18:35:15

Depends on what the mum who is coming to pick up the friend is like- a couple of DD's friends mums I would open the wine and offer them a glass too when they arrive grin. Others, I'd be breaking open the organic houmous and hiding the leftover cake from dinner blush

NoWuckingFurries Fri 12-Apr-13 18:32:13

I've already had 2 <helpful>

Coconutty Fri 12-Apr-13 18:30:55

Can't you hang on for 15 minutes and then offer the parent who collects one too when you open the bottle?

Grinkly Fri 12-Apr-13 18:29:42

Wine has more effect than beer imo. Have a beer.

wine cheers!

Bowlersarm Fri 12-Apr-13 18:29:00

I think it's fine to have a glass of wine on the go by 6.30 on a Friday. Don't get drunk before friend picks up and offer her a glass as she might like one too!

scarletforya Fri 12-Apr-13 18:28:35

confused

It's after mid-day m'dear <fetches the corkscrew>

Mutt Fri 12-Apr-13 18:28:17

How drunk can you possibly get in 15 minutes - anyway it's 6.27pm now grin

Just pour the bloody wine wine

ShirazSavedMySanity Fri 12-Apr-13 18:26:24

So, it's Friday, it's 6.15pm, it's been a long week.
DD(4) has a friend over to play. My DS (2) is playing with them. Friend is due to be picked up at 6.30ish.

AIBU to have a glass of wine? I could really do with one, it is the weekend, but I'm not doing as I have another persons child in my care.

Just wondered about everyone else's opinion on this. I'm not taking about rolling around the floor out of my mind drunk, just a glass of wine. DH is here to, he is itching for a beer but I've said we should wait until the play date is over. He's been suggesting it since 5pm.

So, go for it, tell me as it is - its my first post on here after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now