Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is £40 to put a child's hair in a bun too expensive?

(108 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:11:03

I asked my regular hairdresser if she could do DD1s hair for her 1st communion, we have to be at the church for 9am so I asked her if she could come round at 8am to give her enough time etc she said 8.30 but I thought this would be pushing it a bit. She said that's fine and it would be £40 and is that ok with me?

I was thinking £25-30 max £40 seems a bit expensive but what do I do?

Say oh that's a bit expensive and risk her saying well that's the cost and her not do it or just pay it

For comparison last time she charged me £50 to cut my long hair and the 4 DCs hair.

I like the idea of having her hair professionally done and having someone cone to the house to do it.

directoroflegacy Sat 13-Apr-13 16:26:26

I am the world's worst hairdo doer BUT after 3 years of dd doing ballet I am quite proficient!
You will need-
Practice - alot (but you have time!)
A bun doughnut - cheapest in Primark but on sale in Claires, H&M, supermarkets etc
A hair bun net
Kirby grips
Then You Tube how to do a bun
Hair spray too and not on freshly washed hair as it will be more difficult!

My dd has long, thick hair and looks fine after doing this!

expatinscotland Sat 13-Apr-13 16:36:02

YY to do it yourself! Practice loads. DD2 has slidy, poker straight, fine hair. It's a nightmare.

Do you start rolling at the ends?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koRcJhZEWao

Weegiemum Sat 13-Apr-13 18:28:42

Sweet kitty we're in Castlemilk. Dd1 is 13 but awesome a hair and makeup. Actually she's revised her offer : she'll do it for free if I take her for a bacon roll after!!

Weegiemum Sat 13-Apr-13 18:29:40

If you let her take a pic - she's creating a portfolio!

sweetkitty Sat 13-Apr-13 19:50:19

Och weegiemum it's too far for her at that time of day. She sounds fab though, is it done thing she wants to do as a career. Thanks for the offer though grin

I do my daughter's every week for ballet, its easy! wink

Get a bun ring, pins and practice while watching how to do it on YouTube.

Save yourself £40!

OhTheConfusion Sat 13-Apr-13 21:51:01

I had the same problem... our usual hairdressers DC is in DD's class at school so no hairdresser! I have found a mobile hairdresser to come and do a trial in 2 weeks then actual hair for both me and DD on the day. Total cost for trial and communion is £40!!!

My hairdresser would have charged that to curl mine and blowdry DD's once!

I need to book a cake this week too, thanks for the reminder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now