Is £40 to put a child's hair in a bun too expensive?

(108 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:11:03

I asked my regular hairdresser if she could do DD1s hair for her 1st communion, we have to be at the church for 9am so I asked her if she could come round at 8am to give her enough time etc she said 8.30 but I thought this would be pushing it a bit. She said that's fine and it would be £40 and is that ok with me?

I was thinking £25-30 max £40 seems a bit expensive but what do I do?

Say oh that's a bit expensive and risk her saying well that's the cost and her not do it or just pay it

For comparison last time she charged me £50 to cut my long hair and the 4 DCs hair.

I like the idea of having her hair professionally done and having someone cone to the house to do it.

Zingy123 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:23:57

That's extortionate. My hairdresser did my two girls hair for DD1's communion. She came in and opened the shop an hour early. She charged me £20 in total. It's Dd2`s in june and she is charging me the same. I can do buns but for their Holy Communion you want it to be perfect.

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 17:41:13

Right I had a go grin its ok DD1 has very thick wavy hair, it's quite long as well, the bin bit was easy with the donut but tucking in the ends was a nightmare, she has too much hair!

Am thinking of straightening her hair the night before to make it more manageable, stop the little frizzies popping up

NewFerry Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:12

Do you definitely have your heart set on a bun?
DD wore hers loose with the veil and headpiece over the top. It looked very pretty and age appropriate.
And was a lot less bother (spoken as a ballet bun mum)!

MsTimTam Fri 12-Apr-13 18:22:30

The best advice I got for doing buns was lots of gel before you do the ponytail - it really helps eliminate all the fuzzies and gets a lovely smooth finish.
My daughter has very thick, long hair and I found it easier to do a bun without a donut as there is too much to tuck into one. After doing the ponytail I split it into two sections. I twisted and pinned the first section in bun shape, then pinned the second section around the first one (hope that makes sense!) then put a bun net over the top and pinned that as well, then finished with hairspray.
Good luck smile

GilmoursPillow Fri 12-Apr-13 18:25:50

Google "sock bun". It could save you a fair amount.

PenguinBear Fri 12-Apr-13 18:31:46

Where in the Uk are you op? If I'm nearby, I'll come and do it for free! smile

soverylucky Fri 12-Apr-13 18:32:09

I agree with pp who said about letting your dd wear her hair down. A bun with veil is quite "bridal".

Either way practice and save yourself the money.

3littlefrogs Fri 12-Apr-13 18:32:46

The way I used to do dd's hair:

Brush hair thoroughly, tip head back and put hair in a pony tail at the height you want. Ensure no lumps anywhere. Divide into 3 sections, plaiting each one, one at a time. Secure the end of each plait with a small band. Wrap each plait around the pony tail band and use hair pins to secure.

Cover the whole thing with a bun net and use more hair pins to anchor the net in place.

Use a little bit of hair gel to smooth all the wispy bits into place.

I agree that the hairdresser probably doesn't want to do it.

Yonionekanobe Fri 12-Apr-13 18:33:46

Way to much. I had an 'up do' for a wedding recently and it cost that with make up in Central London.

Yonionekanobe Fri 12-Apr-13 18:33:59

too much even blush

dancemom Fri 12-Apr-13 18:44:22

Hair pins are the key! Dd needs her hair in a bun for her dance classes so I had to learn! Hair in a pony tail, put donut over ponytail and then pin donut in with hair pins, keeps it extra secure! Then cover donut with hair, secure with small bobble and wrap and pin hair until all secure. I also use one of those fake hair plait hairbands around the bun to cover and gaps, pins, fly always and makes it look even better!

Flojobunny Fri 12-Apr-13 18:47:43

Did you ask her to put it in a bun or did you ask her to do your DD hair for communion? Maybe she's thinking wash, cut, blow dry, style.

1944girl Fri 12-Apr-13 18:51:57

My grandaughter had her first Holy Communion last year.She had her hair long and loose, straightened,with a veil and headband.
We had to be at church for 9am for photographs by school photographer.
This hairstyle is no trouble at all.First Holy Communion is after all a religious occasion, not a fashion and bridal show.
The catchechists had asked that we did not overdo it in terms of the children's dress and hairstyles. And the church was a cathedral.
If you prefer your daughter's hair in a bun with a tiara, go and do it, but dont spend too much money.'
Remember what it is all about in the religious sense.

wigglesrock Fri 12-Apr-13 18:52:37

It's dear - my hairdresser offered to do dds for £12 - her salon is open at 8.30 on a Sat but I just decided to have her hair down with her veil and bits and bobs.

Ps my daughter's is in 6 weeks at 10am wink

Catbert4pm Fri 12-Apr-13 18:54:13

I don't think she wants to do it. Can one of the other communion mums (or a friend or neighbour) help instead. I used to be useless at buns to begin with, but I am ok now smile

3littlefrogs Fri 12-Apr-13 19:15:25

I agree, it isn't a fashion show.

I didn't go for the whole miniature wedding dress thing when dd did her first communion. Just a very simple dress, and some small, fresh flowers in her hair.

I wouldn't worry too much, I think it is important that your dd is comfortable with whatever style you choose.

Ra88 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:36

That's Is way over priced ! Should cost £10-£15 max!!! ( my moms a hairdresser)

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:22:41

I thought a bun would be nice, plain but elegant, I like the idea of wrapping a fake plait around to hide the strands. DD1 would have a big fat gypsy weddings style dress if I allowed her, she loves sparkles.

Will also experiment with having her hair down, it will need straightened.

Wigglesrock - you aren't in the middle of Scotland are you?

Oh I texted the hairdresser back saying to be honest I think that's a bit dear and I know it's an early start and I would just do it myself but thanks anyway, she came back saying that's understandable and I'm sure she will be beautiful.

Now to get practising.

toffeelolly Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:28

Yes dead easy to do , do my dd's before school, only take's 5 mins.wink

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:01

At DD2s first confession last month it was school uniform but some of the girls had OTT hairdos, ringlets with sparkly crosses. Can you imagine their communion next year? DD2 thinks she is a boy, if she's in a dress it will be the simplest one ever and there will be no tiara grin

wigglesrock Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:44

No across the water smile I'm straightening my dds and putting the veil at the back. When I say I, I actually mean my sister - I'm shite with hair smile

My DD2 had a bun for her communion. I put it in a donut and then covered it all with an Irish dancing curly bun wig so it looked like a very curly bun. The veil went behind the bun and the tiara in front. I then pinned a few sparkly hair pins through the bun to keep it all together.

If I recall correctly the bun wig was about £12 and she looked as if she had spent hours in the hairdressers. grin

I'll have a look to see if I can find a link to the sort of thing I mean.

LynetteScavo Fri 12-Apr-13 19:53:17

It's a lot to pay out, but if you really want the hair to look perfect, and can't find anyone else to do it cheeper.....

(I'm having the same issue about cake...do I practice a lot or just order one....?)

I'm shock about hair-do's for first confession! DD had her's recently and parents were taking photo's. I was hmm

Curly wig

I hope that works.

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:56:59

Lynette I am making her cake, I've made quite a few cakes before, I'm ordering a topper and personalised ribbons from eBay, then it's just sponge and icing which is easy enough, I reckon even with the topper it will cost half the price. A woman last year asked me to make cupcakes instead of a cake and was really happy with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now