Is £40 to put a child's hair in a bun too expensive?

(108 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:11:03

I asked my regular hairdresser if she could do DD1s hair for her 1st communion, we have to be at the church for 9am so I asked her if she could come round at 8am to give her enough time etc she said 8.30 but I thought this would be pushing it a bit. She said that's fine and it would be £40 and is that ok with me?

I was thinking £25-30 max £40 seems a bit expensive but what do I do?

Say oh that's a bit expensive and risk her saying well that's the cost and her not do it or just pay it

For comparison last time she charged me £50 to cut my long hair and the 4 DCs hair.

I like the idea of having her hair professionally done and having someone cone to the house to do it.

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 16:21:20

at that time on a sunday morning - i think fair enough.

but a bun is a bun is a bun

i have long hair - its not hard.

the trick is leave one long strand at the back of the head out of the bun,

do the bun by twirtling hair and securing with a covered elastic,

then comes the magic

wrap the spare strand round where the elastic is so it covers it, and secure in place with a pin

AIBU to ask is she not having a veil? and if so - wont that hide slight imperfections

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Apr-13 16:21:34

It's the house visit at unsociable hours she'll be charging for. I pay a fiver (every day for a week hmm) when dd's annual ballet show rolls round.

Tortington Fri 12-Apr-13 16:21:40

oops saturday ok - still fair enough

XBenedict Fri 12-Apr-13 16:23:12

Ouch that is expensive! Try it yourself, it's really not difficult. DD uses one of those donuts from Claire's/Boots - even easier. smile

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:24:15

She has a tiara (DD1 not the hairdresser) then her veil is on a comb to go into the back of her hair IYSWIM.

If I say no now will she get all offended and no I think it's too expensive?

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:24:53

I have a donut did it for her ballet and dance shows but it never looks quite right hmm

DeskPlanner Fri 12-Apr-13 16:28:49

It's not £40, just to put your dds hair In a bun though is it ? It's her coming to your house, on a Sunday at 8am. That's what your paying for. She's not going to want to do all that for less than £40.

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:33:12

Deskplanner - it's a Saturday yes I understand its unsociable hours and was prepared to pay a bit more, it's a 20 min round trip and what 15 mins to put her hair up so just over half an hour, I still think £40 is expensive.

She's always telling me she works flexi hours so will work mornings/evenings and weekends, she often comes to us at 6pm.

BackforGood Fri 12-Apr-13 16:37:42

No, she won't be offended - she's priced it so high as she doesn't really want to do it I'd have thought.

Heinz55 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:37:44

The secret to a professional looking bun is a donut - as I've just discovered!! you can get them in Claires or H&M. I'm completely against overspending on a ceremony that is supposed to be about the religious aspect and not the crazy amounts people spend to make their dd's look like mini brides so YABU to spend anything on your childs hair for her communion.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 12-Apr-13 16:38:44

I suppose it depends on your budget but I would laugh at you tbh.

Just do it yourself ffs it's a bun!

If your desperate to spend your money you can get fancy brushes to help the hair sit flat, super dooper bobbles and some stunning bun nets. Watch a few tutorials on YouTube and do a couple of practice runs.

MrsMangelFanciedPaulRobinson Fri 12-Apr-13 16:41:42

I think it's a silly amount.

Buy a bun ring for £1 in Primark, a few grips, couple of hair bobbles and you can do it yourself at home. I do my DD's hair like this all the time and it looks very neat.

MammaTJ Fri 12-Apr-13 16:43:41

I don't think she will be offended if you say no, she doesn't sound as though she wants to do it, tbh.

Pandemoniaa Fri 12-Apr-13 16:44:02

I can understand why she'd want to charge £40. As others have said, you are asking her to come out at an unsociable time on a Saturday in order to do a professional job. It might well be that it suits her to work at 6pm. That's not the same as 8.30 in the morning. Also, if you want a professional job then you need to be prepared to pay for it.

However, I do think it is probably a waste of money given that you could almost certainly do the job yourself if you want a few tutorials on the internet and get the right accessories.

Got to say that I'm amazed that children wear tiaras for First Communion nowadays but that's just me being an eye-rolling old gimmer.

coreny Fri 12-Apr-13 16:45:31

8.00 a.m. is an early start and Saturday is peak time. She's probably charging full price i.e. what she'd charge to do an adult's hair.

I pay £28 for ds2's hair if I go in during the week, but if I go in on a saturday it's £38 as it's peak time.

sweetkitty Fri 12-Apr-13 16:46:05

Thanks ladies the voice of reason as always, I thought it was expensive for a bun.

It's 6 weeks away I could practise couldn't I? I could get good in 6 weeks

I don't mind spending money on things that will last but chances are she will say its hurting her and take it out in a few hours.

NoWayNoHow Fri 12-Apr-13 16:48:38

Yy, I would definitely spend 6 weeks practising! £40 is a lot of money to pay for the difference between"not quite right" and"right" IMO.

Longdistance Fri 12-Apr-13 16:52:40

That's silly expensive. I used to put my hair in a bun for work nearly every day, itssimple.
1) scrape the hair back, and put into a pony tail with a same colour as her hair, hairband.

2) slip on a small donut, or if shr

MrsBethel Fri 12-Apr-13 16:56:56

Is £40 too much?

Yes.

Longdistance Fri 12-Apr-13 16:56:59

Or if she has long hair a larger one.

3) fan her hair out over the donut like a fountain.

4) get some same coloured pins as her hair, and in sections little by little pin bits of hair to the donut, and hair.

5) making sure you tuck the ends in.

6) some hairspray to keep it all in hold for the special day.

It's not too much to charge, but I would think it's too much to pay.

picnicbasketcase Fri 12-Apr-13 16:58:57

I think it's nuts to pay that for such an uncomplicated hairstyle but if you want it looking as neat as possible and can afford to pay it, your decision I guess smile

Yes its too much, depends whether its within your personal budget.
If its too much for you to pay, i would get a decent spray, bobbypins & bun secure watch a vid on youtube and diy.

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Apr-13 17:13:59

It's just a bun!. It may be to you, but my dd has enough hair for at least three people, in a big curly mop. I wouldn't pay forty quid, though.

RatRatRat Fri 12-Apr-13 17:19:04

Eek! I think £25 is the max I've ever paid to have mine out up and it's long and thick. This was in a salon though - I thought a major selling point of mobile hairdressers was that they were cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now