Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think those who have had Botox/fillers look fake?

(105 Posts)
KareninsGirl Fri 12-Apr-13 15:49:43

Well, AIBU?

I really think it makes people look homogenous, plastic and slightly weird.

What's wrong with a 'face that tells a story' anyway?!

SoleSource England Thu 23-May-13 21:37:17

I'm 39 no grey either

SoleSource England Thu 23-May-13 21:35:27

Yabu

It is not always noticible

Wish I could afford them

I certainly have the courage

Devasmum Thu 23-May-13 21:29:35

I think some people get addicted and start to look weird. Like everything else in life a little of what you fancy does you good. I'm 40 and I've had a bit done: 2 bits of botox in lines between my eyebrows and my crows feet. I've also had fillers in my mouth to nose lines. I love it when I go visit my sisters, 1 is older and 2 are younger (by 2 and 5 yrs) and people think I am the youngest! I've recently had 2 dermal roller sessions and waiting for my third. Now that is a totally natural looking option and gives your skin a real glow and boost to volume. Have also used Obagi and ZO prescription creams- I find them sooo much more effective than top end dept store ranges. My Aesthetic Dr always goes on about SPFs even in winter, so i put those on as my primer. As you can read I'm a fan of "non-surgical" options, however my work colleagues always chant- "I don't know why you have anything done cause you look great as it is", but that's just it, it's because I do!. A reality check here though- I'm no beauty queen, I suffered a lot with acne as a teenager, thankfully I didnt scar. Maybe this is where my insecurities lie. I'm happy now, successful job, great family life and am financially comfortable and having "stuff done" makes me feel better. If you're in the chester/wrexham area I'd really recommend Dr Kenningham- google her name. X

handcream Wed 17-Apr-13 12:04:42

Word - I am not sure you can always tell. I dont have a scrap of grey, people (even hairdressers) think I have it coloured. I dont, I am just lucky, its in the genes!

aldiwhore Wed 17-Apr-13 11:49:58

One of my friends who's had it, has had it done well (botox and filler) and she can still frown, her face is full of expression and she looks exactly how I always picture in my mind's eye - which is 15 years younger than she is now - but she does look a bit odd without her glowy makeup (she is the first to admit it) and won't be getting it topped up. She has a very tiny amount, and it was done by a very good practitioner. Saying that, I still wouldn't have the procedure, the cost is too great.

Another mate has become a little addicted and is starting to look ridiculus. She has virtually no movement in her face at all, is VERY shiny, and though it has smoothed out the wrinkles she loathed most it draws attention to the ones no one would ever have noticed before. She's a lovely person, beautiful looking, but is so addicted to botox, filler, fake tan etc that she has gone beyond looking good. It's a real shame actually, because she's turning herself into this weird looking person with no visible personality... but it's her choice. She knows my opinion and doesn't give a shit, which is her absolute right.

I would never say never to procedures that could refresh me, if I had the money, but I am very wary of how addictive they can be and how they can sometime draw attention to otherwise perfectly fine areas!

I would never get Botox though.

LaMaga Wed 17-Apr-13 11:44:48

Yes they do. But they think they don't or that other people do not notice.

wordfactory Wed 17-Apr-13 11:42:19

I always know when someone's had it done.

I don't care...and I pretend I don't notice.

Even the light hand is noticible. But does that matter? Surely you want people to notice? Isn't that the point?

A bit like my hair. Yes, it's done by Big Name Hairdresser. Yes, it's subtle and meant to look natural...but would you know I colour it? Of course you bloody would!

navada Wed 17-Apr-13 10:50:27

Two words - Barry Manilow.

OhLori Wed 17-Apr-13 10:32:59

I think the reason I do get a bit het up about it is much better put by Suzanne Moore.

As she says - every woman who has surgery done claims they are doing it for themselves, their self-worth residing in a body to be used by others. If cutting yourself up as "empowerment" seems a little too much, then just inject yourself with poisonous botox.

(This was in Suzanne Moore's article "Seeing red: the Power of Female Anger where she mentioned the current female Brazilian Transexual body ideal).

On a purely practical point - whoever made the interesting point that it begins to look bad, the longer you do it - that may explain Cowell, Madonna's, Roxy (Eastenders) increasingly strange botox looks with the big puffy faces. But then again, if you start it, you have to keep it up. Good luck with that grin.

ComposHat Belgium Tue 16-Apr-13 23:42:29

Looks dreadful and downright odd.

Botox/Filler addicts - other people always notice, they are often too polite to say anything about it.

You know that 'oooh I'd never have guessed' thing they do? That's politeness too.

joanofarchitrave Tue 16-Apr-13 23:27:17

A friend of mine had a bit of Botox a few years ago. I would never have noticed, but I did notice a bit when she stopped.

It's one of those things I find it hard to get very het up about. I do think that most people who have a lot of work done look plain awful, but frankly there were cries of horror on here when the Rolling Stones had lots of publicity shots all over the place for a new tour or something recently. So that does suggest that we as a society are becoming unused to seeing any naturally ageing faces at all in the public eye. That's not great.

bishboschone Tue 16-Apr-13 23:11:47

But where does it end? If you start and it looks natural then you have to keep going forever surely? Then as you age it doesn't work as well as you end up looking like that . Slippery slope IMO .

OhLori Tue 16-Apr-13 19:24:35

I've noticed that all a lot of middle-aged female presenters have now completely disappeared from our screen. Judy of Richard and Judy, for example, and others.

Today I watched a bit of Loose Women. There is a new woman in the Chair. She's had so much botox she looks 12 when she must be in her 30s. I found it completely embarrassing and very strange. In my book, lines show your age, show you've lived, and show your maturity - all positive things in my view. Since nobody else really cares (so what if you're friends can guess or not) I think a lot of botox is a form of competitiveness.

Bartlebee Tue 16-Apr-13 18:54:33

I have Botox, not one of my mates have noticed & they are all the type that wouldn't hesitate to ask.

They have all asked me what cleanser/moisturiser I use though!

I don't look frozen, far from it. I look fresh and not cross.

KellyElly Mon 15-Apr-13 15:47:47

I think if it's done well it isn't noticeable at first. After years of Botox it becomes more and more noticable. At first people look quite fresh faced. They tend to be the 'less if more' school of baby botoxers though.

handcream Mon 15-Apr-13 15:28:14

You would be surprised how many people who have it - and you would never know.

I have told a couple of people and one nit wit said I didnt need it (its because its in there already!!)

CarpeVinum Mon 15-Apr-13 15:23:17

It's not like Wildenstein went in one day and -bam- came out like that. Her face is the work of years of tweaking.

It took time, but she actually went in from the start wanting to made "like a cat". As in look feline. For her husband who was going off her, but liked cats. He left anyway. She carried on. He came back.

So I don't think she's the best example.

I think the issue with many female celebrities is that they are

a) held to standard normal women aren't

b) are surrounded by yes people who won't say "ermmmm...time to lay off"

c) often serviced by surgeons whose own sense of asthetics have been warped by their clientele being of a specific demographic.

There is a surgoen near me in Milan whose work has been on telly. Her "faces" are amazing. You still look 45/55 whichever you are, but a well rested 45/55 year old.

<squirrels away more cash towards the "less knackered looking" fund>

She is very expensive though. So by the time I have enough for botox I'll probably need a steel girder reinforced facelift.

I know one person who has amazing Botox. She's 40 or so but looks 10 years younger & I'd never have known if she hadn't (gleefully!) said.

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 14:34:47

Botox only good on dynamic lines. My mate wanted it she is very lined from sun and I went with her to consultation. The doc said it would do nothing for those lines. then he looked at me and said I was ideal candidate! I am completely unlined from eyebrows down and skin qute plump but forehead terrible. He said he knew straight away I had not worn my glasses when younger and had caused lines through squinting to read things. True! So I ad it instead of her and only have half a vial at a time and it is very subtle and just works! If you have sun damage he recommended something else called fraxil i think

binger Sat 13-Apr-13 14:28:27

I'm getting it very soon, so excited. I'm 43 and not really wrinkly but face has definitely drooped. Stuff growing old gracefully, why would I want to do that?

MarshaBrady Sat 13-Apr-13 14:27:11

I don't think the puffy / filler hamster look is ever good.

Botox can be ok, not too much. But then people have to tell you they've done it, which might not happen.

TheCatInTheHairnet Sat 13-Apr-13 14:23:21

Here it's very common, but I don't think if most of my friends hadn't told me, I would have realised. It kind of goes with the territory that women who take their health and nutrition very seriously are going to look good for their age. The Botox and the fillers just help that along.

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 14:18:20

All those ones are fillers botox is not noticeable if done lightly. I agree fillers are as the are puffy

LessMissAbs Sat 13-Apr-13 14:18:02

I'm guessing OP then, you wouldn't spot the people with botox or fillers who do look good and natural with them?

Bit like you can't say someone looks good for their age or not, unless you know their actual age...

bishboschone Sat 13-Apr-13 14:16:02

And Simon Cowell.. He used to be so handsome.. He has pillow face now .. Not good!! Also did you see axel rose the other day?? Dear oh dear !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now