Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think those who have had Botox/fillers look fake?

(105 Posts)
KareninsGirl Fri 12-Apr-13 15:49:43

Well, AIBU?

I really think it makes people look homogenous, plastic and slightly weird.

What's wrong with a 'face that tells a story' anyway?!

KareninsGirl Fri 12-Apr-13 17:14:05

But whether you do it for a more subtle or obvious effect, what's the point? We are simply human beings growing older every day. Are we all destined to look like plastic dollies with shiny, taut skin and rubbery lips? How very sad and to my mind, unnatural and feeding on insecurities which have been drip fed to us by the media.

And it may well start off as being a subtle look but once you start having these procedures it generally escalates. The more you have done, the worse it looks...so you get more done. And do the wheel keeps turning.

Eat well, drink plenty of water, laugh whether possible and enjoy what you have rather than subscribe to what you're being told is the ideal by some media machine.

Rant over.

AssamAndDarjeeling Fri 12-Apr-13 17:17:17

I do think, when it comes to the face, that natural and flawed looks miles better than flawless and fiddled with.

That Botox look works much better in photos/ on fillm, though. Bet that's why so man actresses have it.

OhLori Fri 12-Apr-13 17:18:51

I think it nearly always looks weird e.g. Loose women, soap actresses, etc. Has anyone noticed Roxy (Alfie's girlfriend) recently in EastEnders? She has had so much botox she looks 18 years old, but she actually doesn't look human anymore confused. More like half china-doll, half-balloon, and she has only one facial expression, not helpful if you are an actress I would have thought. Why not go the whole hog, have a lobotomy and become a blow-up doll?

I don't think how much you spend makes much difference either. Look at Madonna's work - it looks horrible and freakish and she is a stylish multi-millionairess. Or Liza Minelli, actually scary to the point of ghoulishness.

But even if it wasn't disastrous, its still a ridiculous procedure IMO, which only those with more money than sense can indulge in: vanity gone mad.

oopsadaisymaisy Sat 13-Apr-13 09:16:48

I just want to feel a bit more confident and I'm really conscious about my deep lines. If I can do something about them then I don't see why not. I'm also having a tooth implant because I'm self conscious when I smile. I see it as a similar thing. So, why not have it done!

CarpeVinum Sat 13-Apr-13 09:26:31

KareninsGirl

Ten years ago I said much the same. At 45 and getting a horrible shock everytime I see my mum in the mirror, my views are a little less strident. People are nice about the way I look. But that matters less to me than the stomach drop first thing when all I see is knackered, no matter how well I have slept.

I'm thinking about it. And if I do it, it will be for me, for how I feel, not anybody else. So I don't really care if my face offends them.

ComeYoniWithMe Sat 13-Apr-13 09:27:02

Why does anyone wear Make up? get highlights? because you want to look better.
Don't see the difference between wearing make up and a bit of Botox.

Exactly, oopsadaisymaisy! Those-mainly celebs who end up looking waxy/eerily smooth overdo it because they want their faces to look like a totally perfect, unblemished canvas. A "light hand" from a skilled doctor administering it, will make you look like you, only fresher and LESS wrinkled, there will be some natural creases, lines left, but they will look softer and less pronounced, not scarily, fake smooth.....unless you keep going to different practitioners and getting more done.
The same with fillers-a little, skillfully injected into flattened cheekbones (face loses volume with age) or nose to mouth lines, a thinning top lip etc, does not a trout pout or Bride of Wildenstein "Pillow face" make-it's the overdoing it.

HollyBerryBush Sat 13-Apr-13 10:08:53

Well, I saw the most awful thing last night. I don't care if it makes me sound bitchy, because I am being.

Went out, bumped into a mate with some other people I didn't know. Within 30 seconds, jacket off for us to look at what can only be described a 2 water melons stuck to her shoulder blades.

They were, apparently "The best 4 and a half grand I ever spent".

I'm sure they are super, but frankly if I were going to consider surgery, I would have sorted out the face first. 20yo tits on a very lived in 50yo face, not a good combo.

>flame me<

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 10:17:10

YANBU. It's a very distinct Look. And you have The Look to a greater or lesser degree, depending on how far down the Botox route you've gone. if you're new to it, then many people probably don't notice - but how many people only Botox/fill once? Hardly any. Once you pop, etc, etc...

The so more you have it, then it's to a greater degree. And then The Look becomes more and more marked. You look like someone who's had fillers or Botox or whatever. You might look 'good for your age', but you look 'good for your age' with Botox/fillers/whatever; never actually good for your age.

TheRealFellatio Sat 13-Apr-13 10:34:16

Sometimes but not always. It depends how well it is done. there are tell-tale giveaways though.

LadyMountbatten Sat 13-Apr-13 10:35:54

Tbh if i had it I wouldnt want a bloody light hand

I would want the watermelons equivalent

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 10:37:21

Am loving the notion of a skilled, 'light-handed' physician. grin

I mean, I'm sure slebs, who can afford the best, use such doctors. And the first time it's done, the result is lovely. But you keep going back, topping up, and of course every day you're also getting older. And each time, the 'light hand' does its thing, you're another couple of months older, so the 'light hand' has its work that much more cut out for it.

And voila - you end up with The Look. It's unmistakable, as much as people like to delude themselves otherwise. It's not like Wildenstein went in one day and -bam- came out like that. Her face is the work of years of tweaking.

LadyMountbatten Sat 13-Apr-13 10:38:09

who cares tbh?

you dont own a house and let it age gracefully

boombangalang Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:54

yabu - I have it done on forehead as it eases migraines. Without it I am down 3 times a month for days on end in a dark room, vomiting, in pain, unable to work and see to my children. With it I can go 3/4 months without issue, perhaps a mild headache from stress but it never gets past a mild headache.
If you go to a proper, trained nurse to have it done, not a salon, you can't even tell its been done, you do not look frozen or daft smile

YANBU. Look at the state of Madonna's face these days, she looks like the Bride of Wildenstein!

bettycocker Sat 13-Apr-13 10:53:32

I'm sure you can't notice it if it's done well. Although, last time I saw SIL, her eyebrows has mysteriously stopped moving and she had a very smooth and shiny forehead. grin

The fillers and puffy face thing looks weird. It just makes people look like they have big faces.

ComeYoniWithMe You can take make-up off at the end of the day. Once Botox is in there, it's in there for good.

MintyyAeroEgg Sat 13-Apr-13 10:55:05

Agree that at a certain stage (Olivia Newton-John, Madonna, Sarah Brightman, Lulu) botox/fillers are just plain ageing and therefore have exactly the opposite of the desired effect.

twitchycurtains Sat 13-Apr-13 10:55:15

YANBU. When watching TV I can always spot the celebs and actresses that have had work done no matter how subtle or skilled the practitioner, its so rare to see a natural/untouched (other than facials and the like) females on tv that on the rare occassion you see one it's quite exciting. Also I know quite a few 40/50 something women in real life who have had botox and fillers and you can definitely tell and although I would never be so rude to say anything they are kidding themselves if they think people think they've just had a great holiday or a really good nights sleep.

I am in mid thirties, I can see tiny lines developing around my eyes and my skin isn't as dewy as it was in my 20's, so far I am ok with that, tbh I would be too scared to get botox or fillers as I fear I would end up looking like one of the ladies I mentioned above.

Botox only lasts about 6 months, so it does wear off unfortunately as do fillers.

YABU - if it's done well nobody will notice - it's overdoing it that gives people the obvious botoxed or fillered look.

TigerSwallowtail Sat 13-Apr-13 11:02:50

Yabu, people who have had bad/too much Botox or fillers look awful but those who don't over do it or don't buy crap stuff look fine. Tbh people don't normally broadcast it so you might not know that someone has had it.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 11:02:55

Who cares...?

Well nobody cares... But the OP started a thread, and people discussed. As is the wont on discussion forums.

When I was in my mid thirties, it never entered my mind to have it done either wink

I really don't think the "ooh, I always can tell" really washes, after all you have absolutely no idea without people 'fessing up who has had it done or not.

TigerSwallowtail Sat 13-Apr-13 11:03:55

dead it wears off, it's not there for good. You may be getting mixed up with something else.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 13-Apr-13 11:06:26

Everyone who's had it firmly believes they fall into the 'light-hand', unnoticeable camp..

And yet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now