Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

or maybe i've just been skint for too long ...

(46 Posts)
YoniDaChillOut Fri 12-Apr-13 14:27:35

but £10 for a homecooked meal for two isn't superscrimping. £10 is a third of my entire weekly food budget for me and two dcs (although i count them as one adult as they both would eat about half of an adult portion) if i spent £10 for each evening meal, plus food for breakfast, lunch and snacks i'd probably be almost tripling my weekly food spend!

i'm watching that superscrimpers show. it's a load of bollocks really isn't it?

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 14:47:19

See if you can find some Catherine Tate comedy shows to watch - you know, the sketches of the Mummy with the two kids?

That will give you perspective.

grin

Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 14:48:25

Yoni - whenever we think about a takeaway these days I trick myself into cooking by doing the time trick! Omlette wins my quickest, cheapest dinner prize but I'm not allowed it when egg refusenik dh is home!

YoniDaChillOut Fri 12-Apr-13 14:48:36

grin

so true molehill! no-one would watch that 30 second show!

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 14:49:53
Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 14:50:00

Hey-but could we pitch it and present it? Instead of four thought maybe?

Bejeena Fri 12-Apr-13 14:50:14

I watch supercrimpers and sometimes find the tips helpful but honestly sometimes the tips they give are off the wall and no way going to help people save money.

Like the other week they suggested using moisturiser to shine your shoes instead of shoe polish, ok fair enough good idea but shoe polish does not cost the earth and a tub of it will last years and years!

Also the suggestion to secure branches in the garden with old tights instead of garden string - garden string only costs about £1 a ball and last for ages.

These are not savings!

YoniDaChillOut Fri 12-Apr-13 14:55:54

if i wanted mcd's (as i often do but dont indulge) i have to get all our shoes and coats on, find my purse, get dcs in the car and go through town, queue up in the drive thru (did i mention i'm lazy? grin) and then come back home, balance all the food on my head while getting the dcs unbuckled and into the house and wrestle the dog into the kitchen so he doesn't attack the food on my head and then get to inhale the almost liquid burger that is rapidly cooling. and then i'll be hungry again in an hour. you're talking 15 minutes at least and it's still cold outside. who want's to go out there?? hmm

whereas i can make, not that healthy but yummy and filling, toasties or jacket spuds with beans and butter, or garlic bread pizza in that space of time and a lovely cup of tea to wash it down.

bedmonster Fri 12-Apr-13 14:56:35

That's a cheap homemade chicken curry imo. Chicken breasts cost about £6, but the flavour comes from the meat with bones, legs/thighs, so that's another £7-8 depending on how much is being made. Spices, tinned toms, ginger, garlic, onions, coriander, spinach etc, rice, bread flour for naans, butter for the breads etc. I have left loads of stuff out i'm sure as DP makes them not me, but a tenner for a chicken curry sounds cheap!

AnonYonimousBird Fri 12-Apr-13 14:56:47

Was this supposed to be cheap?! If i spend more than £10 on our evening meal, I've seriously pushed the boat out!!!! Four of us can do Sunday roast for less than £10!

Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 14:56:47

It's Marie Antoinette scrimping. Trying to do what the common people do. Really, what you do if you have no cash is you don't buy stuff and its really, really tedious.

YoniDaChillOut Fri 12-Apr-13 14:59:22

all the X5's lined up at the sports day!! grin

Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 15:03:09

Catherine Tate-stop now-got to do the school run!!!

YoniDaChillOut Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:24

would anyone like a gooseberry and cinnamon yoghurt?

Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 16:19:33

Is that an actual offer or an obscure Catherine Tate reference? May need to check before I answer (sounds nice?!)

Molehillmountain Fri 12-Apr-13 16:26:46

Changed my mind!

Toasttoppers Fri 12-Apr-13 16:28:50

I have not picked up one useful tip on that programme and whats going on with her ruddy hat.

forevergreek Fri 12-Apr-13 16:29:19

You do realise cinnamon yogurt is just that, Plain yogurt and cinnamon? Not sure what is suppose to be fancy about that.

yaimee Fri 12-Apr-13 16:59:59

Our take away does two mains and rice or naan with each for a tenner mon-Fri!

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 17:03:08

I just realized that that clip misses my very favourite - Jacques and the Brie.

ct (2)

RevoltingPeasant Fri 12-Apr-13 17:19:36

Erm isn't £10 for 2 people for a night the 'M&S dinner for two' deal? Which is, by definition, posh people being lazy for a night?

DH & I don't watch what we spend on food that carefully - I know we are lucky we don't have to - but a standardish meal for us is something fresh fish fillets from the reduced section at Sainsbo's (maybe £3) with steamed veggies and boiled potatoes (probably another £3-4 all told).

That is an absolutely normal, not-trying-to-save-money meal.

Scrimping = my student staple of brown rice, soy sauce and lentils.

yaimee Fri 12-Apr-13 17:21:10

M&s deal includes wine and pud too, and absolutely no effort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now