To wonder why this Mother was eye rolling over my comments to my DC.

(129 Posts)
Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 14:17:26

I was at a supermarket this morning and was trying to choose some yogurts for my DC. DS picks up some that are laden with sugar. So I said, 'no not those they have too much sugar in them, what about these instead?'. Cue lots of eye rolling from a new Mother nearby. She picked up something more sugary for herself so I don't think she was in agreement with me. I'd seen her from the start pushing her newborn baby in a supermarket car seat style trolley, the baby was wailing and wailing and couldn't have been older than 2 weeks. When i first saw the newborn crying and crying i felt sorry for the baby but then remembered how difficult those first weeks were and so stopped judging. However, after the yoghurt judgment I did feel that she was hardly in a position to judge my 'preciousness', considering her very young baby was wailing the whole way around the shop and she wouldn't pick it up. I heard her say things to the 2 week old intermittently like, 'you're not having a good day today are you?'

I knew she was a new Mum because there was a nappy promotion on in the store and I heard her tell the shop assistant that the baby girl was her first.

AIBU in thinking you keep the eye rolling to yourself given the circumstances?

If U think she was eye rolling specifically at the sugar at the sugar comment and nothing else then maybe you are thinking that there was something wrong eg loud parenting, iyswim. If im in a situation where im a little unsure of my parenting then I notice imagine lots of eye rolling. When im doing some blatant bad/not from the ops area parenting I totally don't give a crap for the obvious glares aimed at me!

Aside from the this I just read the words 'chocolate mousse' on this thread at exactly the same time a woman on my tv said 'chocolate mousse'. How spooky is that? And now of course I want a choccy mousse-its a brainwash!

JulieCarp Fri 12-Apr-13 19:53:00

Nine times out of ten the reactions of other people are nowt to do with you and you can end up wearing yourself down worrying about it .
Its friday, relax and put your feet up brew wine

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Fri 12-Apr-13 19:48:22

I used to be a bit like you OP.
It passes when you go back to working outside the home (NOT a dig - have done FT, PT and SAHM).
Just think of it as a phase.

Someone from DS3s old primary school bumped into me in an exercise class the other day and did one of those '20 questions- all about the kids' things.

Afterwards, I realised it was aaages since I'd had a conversation where I was secondary to my kids.

All phases are good - though I wouldn't like to go back iyswim.

Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 19:47:37

sainsburys.

Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 19:44:46

No you're right Julie- I am over thinking this.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 12-Apr-13 19:42:34

No, not just you Julie.
I've clearly been using supermarkets wrong for years.

JulieCarp Fri 12-Apr-13 19:40:24

Am I the only one who just gets on with their shopping confused

Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 19:36:31

I judged her when she came into the store after me as the baby was really wailing and I felt it needed to be picked up, then I had a word with myself and got away from the situation but i wasnt near her or looking at her or eye rollling. Next thing I know she was eye rolling at the yoghurts.

All the other things I overheard because we were next to each other when the shop assistant stopped us about the nappy promotion.

JulieCarp Fri 12-Apr-13 19:35:55

You are over thinking this - let it go. I mean that in a nice way OP.

Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 19:30:58

It's not smug it's thinking out load that she heard. Not so much a loud proclaimation about the excessive sugar in the yoghurts, more a, 'There's quite a lot of sugar in those.' Is that really offensive, boastful- I don't get it? I'm questioning myself as in should I be getting this crap for them and then getting more crap for them in the cake aisle. Am I not very good at being a parent if I don't set them up with good idea of healthy foods and not so healthy foods.

lydiamama Fri 12-Apr-13 19:25:26

Just do not bother to pay attention to these things, you should forget everyones eyerolling faster than you can say one, two, three, or you will waste your life

IYoniWantToBeWithYou Fri 12-Apr-13 19:24:10

It doesn't make you roll your eyes or nosy in on peoples conversations? But you admitted you were listening to her conversations and judging her first.... hmm

Toasttoppers Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:42

Which supermarket ?

Chottie Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:36

I'm just surprised you posted about this actually smile .........

lljkk Fri 12-Apr-13 19:20:41

I am ace at eye-rolling, terrific for winding teenagers up.

I can't help but thing that other mum in OP hadn't slept properly in previous 2 weeks and was probably on the verge of hysterical nervous breakdown over anything, including people who just cope better than she felt just then.

You were both being judgey. Non-issue really! I'm not sure why you're so bothered about it. Thoguh the picking up chocolate mousse instead of a sugary yoghurt has me chuckling grin

seeker: You snurk at the rice cakes in the treat jar, but my 2yo charge loves rice cakes. I really don't know why but they are her favourite food item! I take them to work to snack on (used to have bread, now no gluten so I have rice cakes) and she will root through my bag to find them and hide them under the sofa for later if I don't stop her! "Pixie has rice cakes today, yeah? R can have rice cakes after lunch?" is the first thing she says to me in the morning hmm

Goldenbear Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:57

How does it sound like I was stalking her, I was trying to avoid her and her crying newborn? She was following me around, not with any intent just that we happened to be looking at similar things. I would have happily left her alone, if only she'd done the same and left me to my business.

I am sleep deprived and so well understand that slightly hazy feeling but it doesn't make me roll my eyes and nosey into peoples' conversations with their DC.

I have lots to do all of the time and a 'hobbie' but probably not as much of a 'life' as some on here I would imagine.

JulieCarp Fri 12-Apr-13 19:15:41

OP in 3 years time she will be hauling her toddler away from Peppa Pig yogurtsgrin and insisting that rice cakes are a nice snack - dont fret we have all judged when we had PFB and thought I will never do thatblush and then we end up with teenagers who eat quavers for breakfast.

Not worth worrying about.

I'll bet this wasn't a Waitrose?

ZenNudist Fri 12-Apr-13 19:02:25

I'm too focused on my own business in a supermarket to concern myself with what other people do. You clearly have too much time on your hands. Also sounds like you were stalking the poor woman.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 12-Apr-13 18:59:46

inside I'm judging

DrGarnettsEasterMixture Fri 12-Apr-13 18:50:41

I'm trying to eye roll, and I can't do it. I'm sure I've been able to in the past, perhaps I've lost the gift hmm

OP, you do sound like you were smug/loud parenting-perhaps making your own, (sugar free) natural yogurt at home would be a good way of avoiding this situation in future smile

Yellowtip Fri 12-Apr-13 18:50:33

What on earth is the issue with judging? I love judging. I judge all the time.

soverylucky Fri 12-Apr-13 18:49:04

I can't believe this - I truly can't. OP - I am sure that the new mum meant no offence and even if she did, is it really worth getting upset about.

Ledkr Fri 12-Apr-13 18:48:05

So because her two week old baby was crying around a supermarket she isn't in a position to judge you for not buying sugar laden yogurts hmm
That doesn't even make sense sorry.
You sound a tax preoccupied with everyone else's business to be honest next time get on with your boring shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now