to insist that I don't want a cooker hood?

(37 Posts)
happyon Fri 12-Apr-13 12:31:23

Sorry to be dull but have been quite amazed at how much debate this has caused. My kitchen is small but open plan and has a huge window so I'd rather have the cabinet space. Builder claims he won't put in new kitchen without it confused. His refusal is not about building regs. He just thinks I'll 'regret it'. AIBU not to have one?

Gales Sat 13-Apr-13 12:29:15

I have a cooker hood that I have only every used for the light - I open a window to get rid of smells and condensation. TBH, unless it's on an outside wall I don't think they're that effective anyway. I don't think you'll regret not having one, but I'm not sure how useful a cupboard over the hob would be either.

owlface Sat 13-Apr-13 12:16:11

I had my cooker hood removed as I kept banging my head on it! I only used it for the light as it ventilated into the kitchen and I have an extractor in the ceiling anyway. Now I have two shelves in its place, I keep glasses on the lower shelf and breakfast cereals on the top shelf. I have Ikea LED lights under the shelf, they are great.

olivertheoctopus Fri 12-Apr-13 19:34:34

We use ours mainly for the light rather than the extractor, love that light!! Could never have a cupboard though as ceiling too low so kinda irrelevant. Anyway, your builder should be building whatever YOU ask him to build. What's it to him if you regret it later anyway?!?

kinkyfuckery Fri 12-Apr-13 19:28:27

I don't have a cooker hood and don't seem to notice any ill effects confused

madamecake Fri 12-Apr-13 19:26:35

We have no cooker hood, just a bridging cupboard so we have plenty of height above the hob. No problems with condensation or odours, but we do have 2 windows so tend to just open them.
In our last house we had a non vented hood it didn't do anything other than look nice!

kelda Fri 12-Apr-13 19:23:07

I have an extractor fan and a small, flat cupboard above it, just enough to put a few rows of glasses in.

I always use the extractor fan. The steam would damage the kitchen if we didn't have it.

Chottie Fri 12-Apr-13 19:21:13

I have a cooker hood and I use it a lot when cooking and I have the window open. I make soups and jams and chutneys and lots of things which need lots of simmering.

Bunbaker Fri 12-Apr-13 19:16:26

My window is nowhere near the cooker and on cold days the cooker hood with extractor is essential.

EuroShaggleton Fri 12-Apr-13 18:13:36

I also think you will regret it.

happyon Fri 12-Apr-13 18:07:12

Thanks. I guess I was hoping I could find a tiny one that could just be fixed on the bottom of the cupboard but they all seem to be fixed into the cupboards.

Does anyone have experience of the non-vented ones?

marquesas Fri 12-Apr-13 13:49:23

I have one but I very rarely use it, I prefer an open window as the extractor is pretty noisy. However, I would always have one as I've been told that it could make it more difficult to sell the house in the future.

forevergreek Fri 12-Apr-13 13:48:56

We have a hood extractor and a cupboard smile

Wouldn't like to not have one. All the steam from cooking goes through it.
The cupboard isn't that big and is high up, but just has extra cooking dishes/ cake trays etc in

I think it's called an under cabinet range hood...

Maggie111 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:44:28

For building regs you need one I thought.

Lueji Fri 12-Apr-13 13:32:09

This type, for example.

I had one from Ikea, and the cabinet was designed to fit the hood.

You can have the external duct inside the cabinet and still space for storage, inside and over the cabinet.

Just remember that it has to have a certain space over the cooker.

ChunkyPickle Fri 12-Apr-13 13:27:37

We have an ancient version of one of the telescopic ones at the bottom of this page:

www.neff.co.uk/choosing-the-right/cooker-hoods-of-all-shapes-and-sizes.html

ChunkyPickle Fri 12-Apr-13 13:26:20

Oh, and I had a non-ventilated one in one place I lived - alledgedly it worked by catching the grease in these little dangling pots.. it didn't work...

happyon Fri 12-Apr-13 13:26:20

which one?

ChunkyPickle Fri 12-Apr-13 13:25:15

We have a tuckaway/pull out one, with a shallow cupboard above it. The cupboard does get very warm, covered in ick (grease, dust etc - and I almost never fry!) and if the hood wasn't in the way the edging would be peeling off (as it is at the corners of the wall cupboards right next to the hob.

MIL has a hood which she never turns on, and the underside of all the cupboards around, and her ceiling are absolutely foul.

quoteunquote Fri 12-Apr-13 13:13:49
happyon Fri 12-Apr-13 13:09:12

But I had one there for years, a proper externally ventilated one, and used only the light. There has been no problem with damp, condensation etc... It was kind of fitted into the cabinet, with a small shelf on top for spices etc... It never buckled. I also had a kind of hanging rack on the splash back. It was handy but everything on got very hot so not very practical. No room for a pull out larder unfortunately.

Maybe a compromise would work? Can anyone recommend a really small and thin one that I could fix on the bottom of my cabinet?

BreconBeBuggered Fri 12-Apr-13 12:56:28

I've got both over my cooker. But I can't reach the cupboard.

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Apr-13 12:53:09

You don't need cooker hood, but I wouldn't have cupboard. My parents have a hanging rack above their range, they hang pans & utensils from theirs, really handy, might work?

matilda101 Fri 12-Apr-13 12:50:55

You don't need a cooker hood! We have a massive falcon range and do lots of cooking and have nothing above it, no steam or smell issues. I'd agree with most people that you shouldn't put a cupboard above it tho!

ivehadaverybadday Fri 12-Apr-13 12:48:56

Does your new kitchen include on of the pull out larders? I had one in my last, small, kitchen and it was.fab. You can fit LOADS of stuff into one. Better to have one of these and a cooker hood.

pinkyponk67 Fri 12-Apr-13 12:47:50

You will get damp problems from condensation. Your builder is right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now