Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think when you arrive at the supermarket checkout, you have finished shopping

(53 Posts)
frogspoon Fri 12-Apr-13 12:18:39

I was queuing up at the supermarket checkout this morning, when the lady in front of me (with a small trolley sized shop) disappeared (cashier was still processing person in front of her). She arrived back 5 minutes later with a new full basket of shopping, which she proceeded to dump on top of her existing shopping. This increased the amount of items in her shop significantly.

To give her some credit, she did smile and apologise to me, and also she didn't shove my shopping backwards to fit her additional items onto the conveyor belt.

Now I will occasionally pop back to fetch one or two items that I had forgotten, whilst waiting at the checkout. But never a full basket load. I wasn't in a rush, but I did have frozen food in my shop, and I was anxious about it melting whilst I was waiting.

AIBU to think that when you arrive at the checkout you should have completed the majority of your shopping? Going to get one or two forgotten items is not unreasonable. But I think bringing back an additional full basket of shopping is.

Iseeall Fri 12-Apr-13 19:41:53

Not quite the same but I was at at the supermarket checkout today behind a lady who would not stop talking to the cashier, just pack pay up and go, but no, on she went.
No she was not very elderly, I can understand lonely older folks enjoying a bit of chatter,I always like to nod and chat if there is a queue, but she was a similar age to me (mid 40s) and looked like she was doing a normal family shop.

You have my sympathies, theres nowt as strange as folk!

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 12-Apr-13 19:49:32

Well maybe in future you should put the rest of your shopping on the belt and then skip off to get your ice cream at the last minute. She taught you a new trick today!

Voodika Sat 13-Apr-13 11:31:41

I wonder if its possible to put the belt into reverse so that her shopping could have been dumped back in the trolley?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now