To be shocked that my new GP is extremely fat

(142 Posts)
ItsRainingOutside Thu 11-Apr-13 23:57:10

I took my dd to our new lady GP this week as she had become very prone to bad acne breakouts prior to her period.

The doctor suggested she cut out sugar and carbohydrates from her diet as she was probably diabetic (didn't do any blood tests), and also suggested she try to lose weight as she would be prone to a weight problem later in life. DD is 12, 5'8" and weighs 11 stone and to be honest is as thin as a reed.

The doctor, however, was like a little rotund teletubbie. She was only young, around mid-30's, and my temptation was to tell her to take some of her own advice.

I don't think health professionals should be overweight, particularly in this day and age when obesity is frowned upon and there are lots of resources available to help you lose weight. I'm no twiggy myself but do try to stay a reasonable weight for my health and self-esteem.

HelloThisIsYoni Thu 11-Apr-13 23:58:17

Here, biscuit feed yourself up.

ohmentalnessisme Thu 11-Apr-13 23:59:07

biscuit

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 11-Apr-13 23:59:53

It's a good try, but not on the same level as Brian and his wife.

I'm giving you 2/10.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 12-Apr-13 00:00:34

Bullshit. No Dr is going to day 'oh your child is probably diabetic' and do nothing about it.

But 2/10 for having a go at GPs and fat people all in one post.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 12-Apr-13 00:00:50

I'm a writer....I read shite all day long when I'm not working. grin Many hairdressers have bad hair...the cobblers child is the worst shod and all that.

Iteotwawki Fri 12-Apr-13 00:03:09

YABU. Why shouldn't a health professional be overweight? As long as it isn't affecting their ability to carry out their work in a professional and competent manor, what difference should their weight matter?

Body size is always more complex than "just eat less", there are all manner of underlying hormonal and genetic reasons why people are the size they are.

YABVU and coming across as rather unpleasant.

AnyoneforTurps Fri 12-Apr-13 00:03:55

YABU about her weight but the medical advice your DD got sounds totally nuts. Are you sure you understood the bit about diabetes correctly? Hormonal teenage acne is not a symptom of diabetes!

ComposHat Fri 12-Apr-13 00:04:12

Don't tell me, the GP had a goat too.

Iteotwawki Fri 12-Apr-13 00:04:32

Bugger. Did I just waste 10 minutes typing out a reply to a windup?

Damn me I'm gullible!

Pancakeflipper Fri 12-Apr-13 00:04:34

There a woman who is a trainer at our gym who is a size 18. No lycra for her... She's brilliant who designs the best programmes for us all.

Her weight gain is a result of the menopause. She swims each day and does an hour work out every other day and plays squash twice a week. Aside from the exercise demos she does several times a day.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 12-Apr-13 00:05:17

One of my GP's is very overweight.
But as a Doctor she is brilliant, has time for everyone and was great listener when I suffered depression.
I wouldn't care if she stuffed her face with a cream cake or lit up a fag in front of me, as long as she did a good job.

DiscoDonkey Fri 12-Apr-13 00:05:36

Oh god yes some of the worst kept hair is on hairdressers!

TheChaoGoesMu Fri 12-Apr-13 00:08:09

Dont take her advice then, if you don't agree with it. She's telling you the facts as her job dictates her to do. No need to get personal about her body really, is there. hmm

Tenacity Fri 12-Apr-13 00:10:35

Wind up or not, I will bite anyhow...
Maybe the doctor has a medical condition. This is beside the point though. Your judgemental attitude is the issue here.

awkwardsis Fri 12-Apr-13 00:16:11

Nice try. But at those statistics your dd will not be thin as a reed. At 12 years old she is my height and half a stone heavier than me and I am feeling rotund right now. Ill help myself to a biscuit

KC225 Fri 12-Apr-13 00:17:37

I know what you mean. I once went to a beauty therapist and quite frankly I found her looks 'plain' (to be polite) she had some front calling herself a beauty therapist when she was never going to stop traffic

BeckyhasapainfreeYoni Fri 12-Apr-13 00:18:27

biscuit

Best not give that to the GP

Did you mean to be so rude?

YoniWankEnobi Fri 12-Apr-13 00:22:20

hmm

Superene Fri 12-Apr-13 00:25:10

Quite apart from anything else the op said, I find it quite hard to picture anyone being 5'8", 11 stone and "thin as a reed". seeing as I am considerably taller, weigh less and would never be termed thin. And am in my mid 30s (which is hardly young).

thermalsinapril Fri 12-Apr-13 00:28:53

biscuit

KobayashiMaru Fri 12-Apr-13 00:29:49

Bollocks.

<succint>

TheSecondComing Fri 12-Apr-13 00:30:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLorraYonis Fri 12-Apr-13 00:32:22

I couldn't give a shiny shit if my GP is overweight

I don't want to fuck him, I just want his medical expertise.

LuisGarcia Fri 12-Apr-13 00:33:26

I love you people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now