to have let postman use our loo?

(43 Posts)
bonzoed Thu 11-Apr-13 23:21:16

Postie knocked on our door at 13.40 to ask to use the door. He was quite embarrassed about it. I was at home with my 2 children and let him in. He has knocked several times before asking for a drink and I have given him a bottle of water.

DH says he wouldn't have let him in because we don't know him - other than him being our postie.

So AIBU or a bit naive? My take on it would be that if I was bursting I'd appreciate someone being kind to me.

BOF Thu 11-Apr-13 23:53:02

I'm only guessing, but I've worked for them before (in a sorting office), and judging by all the other stupid litigious rules they have, I'd be astonished if they didn't stipulate this.

tigerdriverII Thu 11-Apr-13 23:53:13

sowornout. I think we share a postie. Ours leaves things with "postie signed". And that is what he says, not his name - just postie.

YonisAreForever Thu 11-Apr-13 23:58:43

As long as you let him use the loo and not your yoni, you'll be fine.

fruitandbarley Fri 12-Apr-13 00:08:40

Having done the job myself for 8 months I can say that the bottle of water that I used to carry with me used to last me about an hour on a summer day and after that I did used to rely on kind people refilling it from the tap for me. And had to also ask to use the toilet on a couple of occasions. My walk was miles away from any public toilets and I had hours of my walk left to go and no choice. It was always embarrasing but I used to try and ask people that I knew were nice. I used to walk 7 miles a day and carry 8 x 16kilo bags, and until I did it I had no idea what a hard job it is. Or what thirsty work, and I suspect the asking for a drink is nothing more than because he knows you've been ok when asked before.

Superene Fri 12-Apr-13 00:12:26

Maybe he had a "special delivery" to make?
A friend of mine had a dressing gown incident/accident which meant her daughter accidentally caused her to flash her postman. He has been rather friendly since, much o her huge embarrassment. Are you sure nothing similar happened at your house?!?

Apileofballyhoo Fri 12-Apr-13 00:16:59

I thought it was very odd until I read fruitandbarley's post. Leave a bottle of water on the step in hot weather and don't answer the door? Maybe leave a potty too! wink

Pancakeflipper Fri 12-Apr-13 00:21:29

Good post Fruitandbarley - my uneasy stance has gone. I think Apileofballyhoo has great advice - I would also add wet wipes next to the potty.

deleted203 Fri 12-Apr-13 00:31:33

grin....But ...ThePostmanYoniRingsTwice surely!

BOF Fri 12-Apr-13 00:44:49

grin

MammaTJ Fri 12-Apr-13 00:45:48

I would let my postie in to use the facilities. He is lovely. He never wakes me when I have done a night shift, always signs for things that need it and puts parcels where I have asked him to.

myBOYSareBONKERS Fri 12-Apr-13 07:40:16

I have. My postie is a nice chap. Have given him hot and cold drinks.

I also offer my Tesco delivery guys a drink in the summer too.

. . . . . .and the window cleaner . . . .

ummmm. . . . . . maybe I should open as a Tea room . . .

Jestrin Fri 12-Apr-13 07:54:15

I would let my postie use the loo. Maybe he thought he could ask you because you were kind enough to give him a drink before when he asked. But I do think leaving a bottle of water out in the future might be the way forward!

ShowMeTheYoni Fri 12-Apr-13 08:23:00

I'd let my postie. He is really nice and really, it's a wee.

MummaBubba123 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:46:09

I'd not mind if a regular post man asked to use the loo - bit wouldn't want to let this happen on a regular basis as would seem odd. In the summer, I fill up our postman's water bottle / take a glass of water out to him. But I've offered - and it's been scorchingly hot (for England).

Toasttoppers Sat 13-Apr-13 10:20:27

I probably would, then again I have already promised the delivery men who are delivering a huge metal shed a cuppa when they deliver on Tuesday. I have a bad habit of being over friendly, I find this scares people so try that and you'll be bothered less.

Thingiebob Sat 13-Apr-13 11:30:38

Why is he always knocking and asking for a drink??

To be fair, if my postie asked if he could use my loo, I would let him.

lydiamama Sat 13-Apr-13 11:34:46

You are an angel, and have a friendly face that is why he keeps knocking YOUR door. Too much suspicion in this world of us, he was desperated for the loo, that is all. Your DH is being protective of his family.

MrsLHofstadter Sat 13-Apr-13 11:51:47

I'd let one of our relief posties in or offer him a bacon buttie, beer, bed for the night drink but only because I grew up with him. The Ringtons tea woman would also be quite welcome to use the toilet or have a drink.

I wouldn't give the window cleaner water if he was on fire, he gives me the creeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now