To think that church child protection officer should attend the family service

(52 Posts)
ReallyTired Thu 11-Apr-13 22:49:50

Our church has a child protection officer who never attend the family service. She goes the 8am service where there are never any children. The only reason she is the child protection officer is that she is a retired social worker. She has no involvement with Sunday school activites, the choir and knows none of the families who go to the later service.

For the past few months the child protection officer (C) has not been to church becuase she has cancer. Understandly she has not been able to carry out the role of child protection officer due to being ill.

I feel that parish church should train up a second child protection officer to cover C's sickness. The priest was very rude to me and said that C would be deeply hurt and there are no child protection issues in our church. I feel that a lack of proper safeguarding is unacceptable and C would probably agree with me.

SmellieWellies Fri 12-Apr-13 11:23:49

Also, if you are worried, you can organise safeguarding training yourself. You diocese can help you with it, as others have said.

Anthracite Fri 12-Apr-13 13:54:12

Safeguarding does not just protect against abuses perpetrated by church members. This is a small part of the initiative.

Young people may disclose to youth leaders of issues with their family, at school, or even social networking - all outside church but something the church safeguarding team have to act on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now