Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be fed up of the nurse making a comment on my weight at every single pill check

(70 Posts)
thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 15:31:25

I have to have a pill check every six months during which the nurse checks my blood pressure and weight.

When I first went on the pill after my DC's birth I was overweight - it was mentioned at my pill check. Fine, I knew my BMI was overweight and went on to do something about it. I didn't mind it being pointed out to me.

I lost about 2 stone and at my next pill check the nurse commented on it positively. Ok, fair enough.

But EVERY time I go for my pill check the nurse (and there are a couple of them at the surgery so not always the same one) ALWAYS mentions my weight.

One time it was "oh, you've put on 2 kilos". I was wearing winter boots and coat at the time and weighed on different scales to the previous time so hardly thought it was worth mentioning. ESPECIALLY as my BMI was still in the normal range.

Another time it was "your weight is perfect, don't lose any more and don't put on any more".

Basically every time I go they mention if I've lost of gained a few pounds.

I HAVE A HISTORY OF EATING DISORDERS which I have managed to overcome in the last 5 years or so by eating well, exercising a lot and not weighing myself too often.

I find it incredibly stressful when comment is passed on my weight and I appreciate it wouldn't bother other people. But I am due another pill check soon and seriously considering coming off the pill and switching to something else as already I am worried about them commenting on the 4 pounds extra I weigh since last time they weighed me.

I realise this is MY problem. But is it really necessary for them to pass comment on my weight when it is in the healthy BMI range and has been at every visit except the first one?

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:01:09

I'm not sure if I can decline to be weighed as presumably that's part of what's required for them to dispense the pill?

Wannabestepfordwife Thu 11-Apr-13 16:01:59

Yanbu at all. I'm on the injection when I kept losing weight and went down to bmi of 18 the nurse never commented on my weight but the minute I put a couple of pounds on she made a huge deal out of it.

Btw you are doing fantastic my sister is a recovering anorexic and she would have had a meltdown if someone mentioned her weight. Even though it bothers you and rightly so, your so strong not to fall back into old habits.

Have a word with nurse or practice manager next time your in and request they don't tell you your weight unless it's dangerous for your health

CabbageLeaves Thu 11-Apr-13 16:04:43

You can refuse to be weighed.

If your weight was in the realms of 'risky' they might need to discuss if your refusal was safe. Since its not then just refuse politely. Say no thank you

CabbageLeaves Thu 11-Apr-13 16:07:16

I think HCPs are expected to conduct a full check so weight should be part of a discussion if it can be related to health of that person.

They have a duty

You have a choice

Sensitivity is a plus on both sides! Polite consideration of each others position on this is vital

OhLori Thu 11-Apr-13 16:08:33

Agree, declined to be weighed. For a nurse to say "your weight is perfect" is stupid and meaningless to me. I am weighed once a year for medical reasons also. I always say, don't tell me my weight, and they never have.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:11:38

cabbageleaves - sorry to be thick, but when you say i havea choice what do you mean? a choice not to be weighed or a choice to stop taking the pill?

armagh Thu 11-Apr-13 16:14:12

Would it be on your notes about food issues and they feel they must mention weight to you. I think you are being ultra sensitive.

Mumsyblouse Thu 11-Apr-13 16:14:13

This is now standard practice for nurse appointments, they weigh you even if you went in for something else and then, if appropriate, discuss healthy eating etc with you. However, it is clearly NOT appropriate for you, so next time it is raised, or before they weigh you, say I don't want to be weighed or discuss my weight thank you, and get them to put that on your notes. They do this with everyone and will carry on doing it unless you say something.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:15:36

amagh it is not on my notes, no. i cant speak for anyone else who has had an eating disorder though.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:17:02

mumsyblouse - thanks. that is basically my objection, i didnt mind them mentioning when i was overweight. but the comments on my weight going up or down a few pounds but still witihn healthy range i dont understand

middleagedspread Thu 11-Apr-13 16:21:50

The nurse has a professional responsibility to weight you. I don't know which Pill you take but if it's the Progesterone Only (mini pill) and you weigh over 90kg she would need to prescribe a double dose.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:25:17

i didnt say i didnt want her to weigh me, middleaged, just not point out when ive put on a couple of pounds

I'm overweight and didn't used to get weighed when getting my checks. They would take bp only

Blissx Thu 11-Apr-13 16:31:23

It does annoy me! YANBU.
I used to be fed up that as soon as I turned 30, every time I went to get a new Pill prescription, the Doctors kept trying to ask if I was going to try to get pregnant and if not, I should consider other contraception such as the implant. They obviously had to ask, but didn't stop me feeling picked on-just as I'm sure you felt, thelongandwindingroad!

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 16:33:52

sorry middleagedspread, I've just realised you were probably responding to the comments to not let them weigh me, rather than suggesting I thought weighing me was unncecessary. Apologies.

middleagedspread Thu 11-Apr-13 16:33:54

Mmm, she's probably just making conversation. I think that you should mention to her that you feel uncomfortable talking about it. She'll probably be mortified that she's offended you.

Wilding Thu 11-Apr-13 16:37:52

That's so weird - I've been on the pill for over 10 years and I think I've only been weighed a couple of times, so it can't be standard. I always have to have my blood pressure checked for a new prescription but that's it.

RevoltingPeasant Thu 11-Apr-13 16:38:21

OP I totally know how you feel. Once a nurse looked me up and down and said, 'You know it wouldn't kill you to lose a stone or two.' She was probably right, but jeez sad

I also have to be weighed for hospital appts and don't mind it now so much as I weigh myself regularly at the gym these days.

I'd say at the start of the appt, 'I know you have to weigh, but weight is a sensitive issue with me. I'm happy to be weighed but would rather not discuss it unless there is a medical problem. Is that okay?'

That is direct but polite. If she comments after that, write to the practice manager and ask to see a GP for this appt instead.

And no, that is not being precious. EDs are a genuine mental health issue, and you don't push someone's buttons without need.

Sidge Thu 11-Apr-13 16:40:57

middleagedspread not true, the doseage for POP no longer changes depending on weight (used to need 2 of some POPs if over 70kgs but the guidelines have changed).

I'm a practice nurse and the assessment we need to do for pill checks includes weight. There are risks associated with hormonal contraception and these can increase with increased weight, as well as other factors such as age, smoking, medical history and family history.

OP - I can understand your dislike of the nurse mentioning your weight given your history but if the nurse has no knowledge of that then her mentioning your weight may just be conversational. You could tell her next time you go either you don't wish to be weighed, or could she please not make any comment about it.

greenfern Thu 11-Apr-13 16:49:32

YANBU. That would totally stress me out them banging on about weight all the time. Totally agree some nurses have to keep an eye their patients weight but some are so egotistic.

thelongandwindingroad Thu 11-Apr-13 17:40:53

Thank you all, that's really helpful.

I thought you were all going to tell me I was being ridiculous. I don't have a lot of sensible perspective when it comes to weight stuff, unfortunately.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 11-Apr-13 17:46:19

Oddly enough I had a very similar experience to yours many years ago when getting the pill. When I first went on it I was being rather silly about food and was basically eating very little. I weighed 7 stone. The nurse described that as "excellent"! When I came to my senses and began to eat properly again I gradually gained a stone and she kept admonishing me for it!!! In the end I got really snotty and told her that when she first met me I was barely eating.

CabbageLeaves Thu 11-Apr-13 17:47:02

OP I meant you have a choice about being weighed smile Just politely decline the offer

thermalsinapril Thu 11-Apr-13 17:53:23

YANBU. Most women are well aware of their own weight, shape and size.

Chucksteak Thu 11-Apr-13 17:59:15

OP, as CabbageLeaves has stated, as a patient you have the power and the choice to decline or accept any healthcare offered to you.

In your case, you are perfectly within your rights to decline to be weighed. You can also refuse to see this nurse again - you do not need to do anything or see anyone you are not comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable with any doctor or nurse - you can refuse to be treated by them. If you are unhappy with a course of treatment, it is up to you to decide what is best. It is your body and you decide whether or not to accept or refuse any recommendations made by a HCP. They cannot force you to do anything against your wishes.

This nurse should keep her comments to herself as they are unwelcome and unnecessary.

Don't forget, the surgery get a bonus (Qof) payment for every patient that is weighed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now