To wonder why anyone buys branded products?

(144 Posts)
superstarheartbreaker Thu 11-Apr-13 14:00:53

When they are so much more expensive?

Especially things like washing powder; Persil etc ; at least £4.00 for a bottle of fabric washing gel. Tescos own; £2.00 for a bottle of similar gel often with added conditioner. Does the job fine.

Admittedly some products have no equal like Marmite or Nutella and there are certain value products that don't cut it but it does strike me as odd that so many stick to brands that are so expensive and then moan about the price of shopping nowadays. It is possible to be savvy even in these difficult times. (Although I still baulk at the price of butter and cheese recently branded or not.)

Withalittlesparkle Thu 11-Apr-13 14:40:41

the best own brand cola is absolutely Lidl, any of the other own brand version are minging!!

We buy a mixture of branded and non branded, but price does get taken in to consideration.

AND as already mentioned most stores do an own brand version of nutella.... but the branded version is still the nicest!!

Still18atheart Thu 11-Apr-13 14:40:56

I buy branded coffee because Tesco own brand is horrid
I also buy Always sanitarytowels instead of own brand because I get a type nappy rash with them. (Sorry if TMI! blush)

BornToFolk Thu 11-Apr-13 14:41:49

I buy mostly unbranded everything but I recently bought a bottle of Fairy washing up liquid from Savers and the difference between that and the usual Tesco/Asda own is remarkable. It smells nicer, cleans better and I only need a little squeeze so it'll last longer.
From now on I am only getting Fairy (when on offer or from Savers!) as I think it'll save me money in the long run.

Some branded things just are better, I can understand why some people stick to them (I probably would if I could afford it!)

Feminine Thu 11-Apr-13 14:42:48

ivy Ribena contains it now sad

I also avoid artificial sweetener ...it now seems to dominate most cordial.

We could choose not buy it at all, but for us that is not practical.

countrykitten Thu 11-Apr-13 14:43:53

People are victims of multi-million pound marketing campaigns. Simple. We tend to believe the hype and then shop like sheep.

Disappointed that people on here seem to shun supermarket brand cleaning products and toiletries - their animal testing regulations are MUCH better that Proctor & Gamble and the other massive companies.

I buy persil because its the only detergent that doesn't irritate DHs eczema, I also buy sensitive skin fabric softener so the fabrics feel better on his skin.

Kellogs cornflakes are the only cornflakes worth eating, the rest of the cereal I buy is dependent on the offers at the time.

Salad cream has to be Heinz, so has tomato ketchup and soup.

Tea bags have to be Yorkshire tea.

Other things I buy are dependent on the offers. I often shop in our Asian supermarket were things like soy sauce, chilli sauces, herbs and spices are a lot lot cheaper and are often of better quality. They also do fantastic deals on veg and rice.

So I might spend a little more on buying branded but I also save a lot on the shop by not buying everything from the same store.

Feminine Thu 11-Apr-13 14:45:22

Something I've noticed is that Morrisons 'better than half price...' actually are a good saving for branded products.

if its possible stock up when its on an offer like that, I think its a proper saving that way!

another one that only uses fairy liquid lasts for ages, and i only like hellmans mayo as well, but i stock up when they are offer. Things like tins, pasta rice, cereal i always but the cheapest.

TheRealFellatio Thu 11-Apr-13 14:50:23

People are not always victims of marketing campaigns you know. Sometimes some of us are intelligent enough to work out that a product is cheaper because it looks cheaper, tastes cheaper, uses less of the main ingredients and more of the cheap chemical fillers and thickeners. Not always, but often.

ItYoniTakesAMinuteGirl Thu 11-Apr-13 14:50:51

On things like washing up liquid, we tried OB vs Fairy for example & found the own brand was a false economy. However, Aldi washing up liquid is as good as Fairy & cheaper (Which? agrees BTW...). The same for laundry detergents - the Aldi ones are recommended by Good Housekeeping mag & do a better job that other own brands. However, sometimes cheaper ones can cause skin reactions so you have to experiment until you find one that works.

As for other foods, it depends on the brand.

cantspel Thu 11-Apr-13 14:52:10

But the products you buy in lidl are branded. Cein and the like are just european brands so not so familiar on the high street.
They are half the price of the like of Dove but do the job just as well. Infract their deo and anti dandruff shampoo are really good and at 79p each you are saving nearly around £4 on the purchase.

LucilleBluth Thu 11-Apr-13 14:52:23

It also depends on which supermarket. Sainsbury's own brand is better than Asda's own brand for example.

Nearly everything in my house is mixture of Sainsbury's own brand or big brand names depending on what's on offer. I do tend go to Asda for toilet rolls and cupboard stuff and also because they have a bigger range, but their own brand stuff is shite ;)

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 14:52:38

I actually went the other way with washing up liquid - and now use the own brand because it's not quite so thick as the Fairy. I was fed up with gobs of undiluted liquid on plates/ brushes/hands etc.

Hellman's mayo is a must though. I've tried LIDL's and ALDI's and I don't care what the ads say - they're yucky.

LoveWine Thu 11-Apr-13 15:01:23

The branded food items in particular are generally of better quality. I used to work for Heinz and in one of their factory, they produced the Heinz brand mayo and the Sainsbury's brand mayo (yes the big well known companies also produce what they call the private label products - i.e. store brands). In this case, the recipes for the two products were completely different and so were the ingredients. The ingredients for the Sainsbury's mayo were of much lower quality and as I said the recipe was different. And this is just one example. Having worked for a food company and seeing first hand the difference between a branded and a non-branded food item, I now rarely buy store brands...at least when it comes to food.

Badvoc Thu 11-Apr-13 15:05:29

Oh no.
Aldi mayo is far nicer than hellmans, and I never thought that was possible.
Also their ketchup.
Their choc is also lovely.
The only thing I won't buy from places like aldi/lidl is meat.

LoveWine Thu 11-Apr-13 15:08:15

Badvoc taste is a personal thing and I agree that some items might taste better, but I was just appalled to see the low quality of the ingredients. I guess that's how you achieve the lower price.

Coconutty Thu 11-Apr-13 15:09:39

I only ever buy branded products, don't even know why just always have. When I've been to someone's house or had OB at work etc I can definitely taste the difference. They don't (usually) taste awful, just different and I prefer the ones I buy.

I use loads of fabric conditioner too, I love the smell of it.

LaQueen Thu 11-Apr-13 15:09:52

From time to time I do try non-branded products, as have a friend who swears by XYZ being just as good as the real stuff.

It's very, very rare that she's right, though. I buy it...try it...and invariably think ewwwww, not nearly as nice.

But, then I'm very, very anal particular about things, with really high standards...my friend is much more laid back, and very meh when it comes to having snowy white washing etc.

I discovered Home Bargins a few years back - where I can go and stock up on all my fave, branded cleaning/laundry products for a fraction of the price in Sainsburys.

I don't think I've ever managed to spend more than £14 in there, yet?

Lenor - £1 a bottle
Macleans Whitening Toothpaste - 89p
Cif - £1 a bottle
Mr Muscle Shower Spary - £1.69 for the really big bottle
Big bag of Fairy Dishwasher tablets £3

It's fantastic smile

Badvoc Thu 11-Apr-13 15:15:53

Love wine....true.
But ime aldi isn't poorer quality ingredients, it's just European branded stuff! smile
Most of Aldis cleaning stuff is GH approved and I have to say - as someone who is pretty particular about cleaning anal - that they are excellent.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Thu 11-Apr-13 15:15:54

You don't need fabric softener, but if you don't use it you have to reduce the amount of washing powder you use to about half what they recommend on the box. If you use what they say on the box it makes the clothes all stiff so you need fabric softener. vicious circle.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 15:16:36

defineme

Nothing, but nothing dry survives Palmer's Cocoa Butter products so google for their hair conditioner. It doesn't look especially cheap on the surface but if it's anything like the rest of the range it will last for ever.

smile

(Sorry for thread hijack, OP)

Dahlen Thu 11-Apr-13 15:19:29

Some branded products are identical to supermarket own versions and in some cases are even supplied by the same manufacturer, changing only the packaging. Other products are simply inferior. It's only possible to tell which is which through trial and error. My shopping is a mixture of budget range stuff, mid-range stuff and branded stuff.

Badvoc Thu 11-Apr-13 15:22:47

Dahlen...I have always thought that!
ESP when you get those "nice"tins of biscuits at Xmas from m and s or wherever and then you see the exact same biscuits in the co op!!

Khaleese Thu 11-Apr-13 15:24:12

My dh was a brand snob, swore blind he could tell the difference.

I taste tested him on lots of things...twinings tea, ketchup, weetabix...all subbed with aldi own.

He failed all of the tests. Unless you are doing a blind test you will never know if it is different. This is why aldi £3.49 wine ( torro loco) won awards. No wine tester would have decared it a winner, it was a blind test.

That's the power of marketing.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Thu 11-Apr-13 15:25:35

It just depends.....

I give non brands a good trial then make my decision based on what I find. I am not short of money but I still don't like to pay over the odds simply for a logo.

My favourite non brand product is Tescos 99p shampoo (big bottle) . I prefer it to the expensive brands.

That said, I mostly buy branded goods confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now