To think DH is being unfair?

(124 Posts)
Lambzig Wed 10-Apr-13 20:25:48

My close friend is having a significant birthday. She is having a night out to an event with friends, followed by a party the next day for adults and children in the afternoon.

DH and I are invited to both, but as we have 2DC, aged 5 months and 3, it's not easy for us both to go. A babysitter won't work as it is in another town.

Obvs we will go to the day party, but I asked DH if he would mind if I went to the night out. I very rarely go out in the evening, twice in the last year, whereas he goes out with mates at least once a fortnight. I don't mind as I see friends in daytime and weekends.

DH says that if we both cant go, then neither of us should go. I think this is unfair as he has lots of nights out compared to me. Also, he is not bothered about not going. I just think he doesn't want to deal with the DC by himself as I would stay in other town with friends, so he would have them on his own overnight. AIBU?

squoosh Wed 10-Apr-13 20:27:48

YADNBU

You deserve a night out! Tell him it's tough titty and he will be looking after the kids for the night.

Seriously2712 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:27:49

No- get yourself out!

Troubledjo Wed 10-Apr-13 20:28:33

If it's your friend then of course you should go - he is definitely being unreasonable, not you...

Yama Wed 10-Apr-13 20:28:34

What a selfish man.

squoosh Wed 10-Apr-13 20:28:48

I would be crawling the walls if I'd only had two nights out in a 12 month period!

mermaid101 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:28:53

No. I think he is being VERY U. I hope you get to go!

Geillis Wed 10-Apr-13 20:29:26

YANBU. You should just go! It's very unfair for him to expect you to stay home if it's your close friend.

DiscoDonkey Wed 10-Apr-13 20:29:36

He's being an arse

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 10-Apr-13 20:29:50

So will you be saying that obviously he can't go out with his mates every fortnight, because "if you can't both go, then neither of us should go"

I know what he'd say to that.

It'll be "different"

I think you should tell him that you ARE going. That he goes out regularly and if he begrudges you a single night out, he's a giant arse.

intheshed Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:03

YANBU! You don't need to ask him, just tell him you are going and that's that!

Eebahgum Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:23

YANBU. He is. Not sure what you do about it though - I guess either put your foot down and say you're going whether he likes it or not, or have a chat with him and see if you can get him you be honest about why he doesn't want you to go.

OhLori Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:48

No, you are not being unreasonable. Its for your close friend too!

His attitude sounds very unfair, and rather ungenerous and churlish tbh.

Are you still going to go hmm?

CSIJanner Wed 10-Apr-13 20:30:58

YANBU - any chance of telling him to suck it up as he has so many nights out a year and its now your turn?

cjel Wed 10-Apr-13 20:31:42

He is being unreasonable.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 10-Apr-13 20:32:13

YANBU. I agree with Intheshed. You don't need his permission, just tell him you're going. If he objects, tell him that he's not allowed to go out with his friends either because you aren't going to be there and see how he likes it.

pictish Wed 10-Apr-13 20:32:33

Yanbu. That's fucking outrageous!

GO!

everlong Wed 10-Apr-13 20:32:43

Is he always like this?

Pozzled Wed 10-Apr-13 20:33:31

Yanbu, assuming that the baby is not bf and will settle for your DH. You have as much right to a night out as he does, and you obviously don't object to him going out. And as you say, it's YOUR close friend- you should be there to celebrate with her.

Does he have any specific concerns? If not, I'd just tell him you are going. But if it's the first time he'll be left overnight with both DCs, I'd also make it as easy as possible for him.

treas Wed 10-Apr-13 20:34:16

When you say close friend do you mean your friend or close friend to you both? If the later then he's not being that unreasonable. However, if it is the former then he needs a kick up the jacksy.

Wishiwasanheiress Wed 10-Apr-13 20:34:49

Lamb, read ur post back to urself. Tell us, truthfully, if answering it for someone WWYD?

Have a great night

Euphemia Wed 10-Apr-13 20:36:03

YANBU!

Selfish git - talk about double standards!

bringonyourwreckingball Wed 10-Apr-13 20:36:37

Yanbu. He's being a colossal arse and should let you go, of course he should

flossieraptor Wed 10-Apr-13 20:36:50

Just say what Hecsy says, what happens next time a night out is in the offing, if you can't both go?

YOUR HAPPINESS IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS HIS HAPPINESS

Lambzig Wed 10-Apr-13 20:37:30

He says it is different because we are both invited. His nights out tend to be straight from work kind of things.

We are both friends with the birthday friend and her DH, so tend to do lots of things with all of us in the daytime, so I can see why he is reluctant to miss ou, but if we both cant go I think I should get to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now