House renovation - aibu to lose a bedroom to make bigger bathroom?

(46 Posts)
HogHedge Wed 10-Apr-13 14:57:53

There is a house we are hoping to put an offer in on. It is 5 bedroom, well 4 and one box room which just about fits a single bed. The bathroom is TINY and about a meter wide. We want to turn one of the bedrooms into a bathroom but would the house lose value being a 4 bed plus decent bathroom rather than a 5 with a minute bathroom?

Inertia Fri 12-Apr-13 15:42:12

I think Statistically's idea could work to make the main bathroom bigger, as long as you can afford to lose the small chunk off the middle and end bedrooms.

It would still make sense to convert the boxroom into a shower or bathroom as well - not sure whether anyone has mentioned this, but the fact that the existing bathroom is adjacent to the box room makes it much easier in terms of water pipes / soil stack. Two bathrooms beween five people will be a lot more comfortable.

The other thing is that you haven't got as much space downstairs, there is no second room for anyone to escape to to be on their own, which makes it more of a priority to give the children a decent bedroom each.

TheCraicDealer Fri 12-Apr-13 12:58:11

So wait, are you talking about making one of the decent sized bedrooms into a bathroom and leaving the box room as is? I would not do that, not with three kids. Someone will end up in the tiny room and it won't be fair on them. Speaking as someone who was shoehorned into a box room!

I would make the box room a really plush wet room and try and utilise as much space as possible in the other bathroom.

Renniehorta Fri 12-Apr-13 12:41:59

I would carry on looking, if you have the time. I am house hunting at the moment and for what it's worth I think that bathroom(s) are extremely important. Although I now live on my own (I was n't alone when I moved in) I have an ensuite as well as a (family) bathroom. I have grown so used to having my own bathroom that I would not consider buying another house with only one, unless another can easily be added.

MidniteScribbler Fri 12-Apr-13 12:24:41

Build the extra bathroom. When you've got three teenagers fighting about whose turn it is, then you'll be pleased you did. I'm a bathroom fan. The new place I just purchased currently has two bathrooms. When the renovations are done there will be four!

My suggestion, for the cheapest option if you want to avoid moving walls and doorways, is in the existing bathroom, remove the bath, put a shower cubicle, and a decent vanity in that larger end of the room. Leave the WC position where is is. Moving the vanity will make the room seem larger as well as you won't be squeezing past it to get in to the bathroom.

Then, in the box room, put a corner bath (I'm assuming you have those in the UK?), with a WC at one end and vanity at the other.

formicaqueen Thu 11-Apr-13 22:25:43

what about creating a tiny ensuit to lighten the load and provide a secondary loo without loosing a bedroom.

BackforGood Thu 11-Apr-13 22:20:21

I was originally 'on the fence', but since you've said you would keep the small room as a study, and that you have 3dc, I now would say - DON'T lose the bedroom. I have 3dc myself, and the fact they have a bedroom each makes life SO much easier.
Obviously sharing is fine when you don't have an option, but I can NOT see the logic in spending money to put yourself in a situation where they will always have to share, if you are starting out with a house where they don't want to.
Each of my dc would rather have a tiny room to themselves that a bigger one shared.

Maggie111 Thu 11-Apr-13 22:11:51

Ask the estate agent how the changes you're thinking of making will effect property prices.

I have seen it done on a TV show where they lost a bedroom and increased value - it depends on the house and who you are selling it to. I doubt in a 4-5 bed house a single bedroom isn't high on anyone's priority - but "bathrooms and kitchens sell houses"

That bathroom's awful! Yanbu!

MsVestibule Thu 11-Apr-13 21:45:46

I would definitely get an architect to look at the floor plans and see if they can come up with something better. It will probably cost a few hundred pounds (the phone call to find out will cost nothing!) and will be a great investment. Another poster has said that there seems to be an awful lot of wasted space around the landing that could be used more effectively and I agree. Also, just out of interest, what are those two 'cupboards' in between the 2 front bedrooms?

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned ^, but would it be possible to change the stairs so the top of the stairs faces the bedroom next to the bathroom, rather than the tiny bedroom/study? It would create more space upstairs, but I can't work out how it would look downstairs.

But, to answer your original question, I would much prefer a house with four reasonable sized bedrooms and a nice bathroom than a pokey bathroom and a tiny bedroom/study!

ilikemysleep Thu 11-Apr-13 21:24:38

Our bathroom is not dissimilar, 1m 20 wide at its widest point. We made it work, strangely, by using a corner bath with shower above. I will PM you some 'before and after' pics.

HogHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 20:26:51

Oooh gosh that is a good idea and I think it would work.... This is our first house so not much experience of this kind of thing but learning fast!

Would you actually need to move the thick black walls? it looks like there is an opening of some sort already so it would maybe be possible without moving the original wall.

So, you could go right at the top of the stairs and instead of having the entrance to the bottom right bedroom it would be the start of the corridor. so you'd have a small cutout from that room. the corridor would then go through the "opening" (the white bit) and cut straight across the middle bedroom before joining on to the small section of corridor at the other end?

Where the opening at the other end of the thick wall is (in line with the end of the bath) would possibly be a good place for a door in to the bathroom?

HogHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 19:45:02

Would it be really expensive??

HogHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 19:42:19

But yes that is a fantastic idea if it's possible!

HogHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 19:41:26

The walls that would need to be moved are about a foot thick and the original outside walls of the house, wouldn't that be an impossible job? confused

I think moving the landing to the other side is possibly the sensible option. It looks like there is some sort of opening between the middle bedroom and the one at the bottom right of the plan already so whilst it would make the middle room a bit smaller it would kind of square it off and possibly make it an easier space.

Then extend the existing bathroom in to the space that's currently the corridor?

HogHedge Thu 11-Apr-13 19:35:07

Thanks guys, architect is a good idea, are they expensive?

small rooms are a pain because they aren't much fun to be in. so i'd make a bathroom bigger and have a 4 bedroomed house with a decent bathroom. that bathroom is a very odd shape.

personally, i'd pay an architect to come up with some ideas. there's a lot of wasted space around that landing and i'm sure they would come up with some good ideas that weren't too costly.

EmmelineGoulden Thu 11-Apr-13 19:10:35

You could potentially widen the bathroom the width of the landing and move the landing to the other side of the stairs - losing a bit of two of the bedrooms.

That might give you enough room to have the toilet where it currently is, a bath where the landing currently is and then a (double?) sink where the current "bath" is.

Might need a bit of clever work with the supporting wall between the stairs and where the landing would be (put verticle holes in it to let light through maybe?) to make it not feel closed in and awkward.

QOD Thu 11-Apr-13 19:01:02

Only if its the small bedroom you loose. Don't loose a decent size one

SlipperFrog Thu 11-Apr-13 18:56:10

The thing is the shape of the current 'bathroom' or boxroom wouldn't really allow for extension of one into the other one. The lkanding is pretty narrow with the current bathroom there so wouldn't be able to make it any wider. Yes has downstairs loo grin

SarahStratton Thu 11-Apr-13 18:47:31

I've done exactly this, my house was 5 bedrooms, with one tiny one on the top floor. It's now 4 bedrooms, and the top floor has 2 double bedrooms and a bathroom, instead of 2.5 bedrooms.

Oh, and think there is a loo downstairs as well isn't there?

Box room is only similar size to current bathroom though, possibly smaller (think they've dressed it as a study on the floorplan?). I would think about moving the landing walls to be honest, to give more space to either the bathroom or the boxroom, to make a bigger bathroom.

SlipperFrog Thu 11-Apr-13 18:36:24

The thing with moving the thick walls around is that they are supporting walls and it would be major work... What about knocking out the corridor bathroom altogether, creating a nice landing and turning either box room or back bedroom into bathroom? Or turning original bathroom into just shower room and taking the rest out to make big landing, then having box room as bathroom

sugarplumfairy Thu 11-Apr-13 12:59:24

We also went from 5 beds to four, and changed one bedroom into a large bathroom. This means we have four bedrooms, one shower room, and one bathroom. Two bedrooms and one bath/shower room on 1st and 2nd floors.

I think this is more balanced than five beds and one bathroom, we felt that an en-suite would detract from the Victorian rooms, and we have seen many awful boxed off en-suites. We have three children and so thought this made more sense for us.

We have been here for 12 years, and are currently getting it ready to put on the market so we will find out if this has affected the possible value?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now