Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To find the public sniffing of babies' bottoms/nappy changes undignified?

(88 Posts)
gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:41:40

Even though I have one of my own now, I still try to avoid the "lift and sniff" nappy check technique. If I do it, I try to be very subtle about it. It's always made me uncomfortable, don't really know why. Also the public "I don't have to go anywhere to change this really rotten nappy. I'll just do it here while you eat your scone," school of thought. I always go away somewhere, not because my child's nappies are horrid, (they're not, they smell like Angel Delight) but because I think it's more dignified for the baby. Babies deserve some privacy, no? My two SILs do both of these things all the time and I'm silently judgey, but they have six kids between them so maybe IABU?

MrsMook Wed 10-Apr-13 22:47:23

No need to lift and sniff here. My toddler has such a distinctive and pungent brew, you KNOW from the opposite side of the room. Nursery can always identify the brand without an investigation.

BelleEtLaBaby Wed 10-Apr-13 22:52:56

Ah, bollocks. There's supposed to be dignity in parenting?? [shocked]

Ozziegirly Thu 11-Apr-13 08:10:44

Well a couple of my friends are potty training and so I have been subjected to their children straining out a crap on a potty placed in the room at our playgroup. One of them has "performance anxiety" and I do feel like saying to the mum "maybe he doesn't like dropping a turd in front of a room full of people?".

Plus, my god, it stinks. So gross.

I do the lift and sniff though on baby DS2, but DS1 goes to the loo in the toilet, even when he was (briefly) using a potty.

NumericalMum Thu 11-Apr-13 08:26:23

I have changed my DC in Starbucks. She was particularly good with timing and I had just got a coffee and was about to feed her. The toilets were not in the coffee shop so I would have had to leave coffee, pack up pram, belongings etc and trek to the loos. She was about 2 months old and BF and there were 3 other people in the shop max. I am pretty certain nobody including her cared or noticed.

Is your PFB very young? Do you not go out much?
Oh and by the time my daughter was 2 and I had done 30,000 nappy changes I changed her wherever I liked in my own house

NumericalMum Thu 11-Apr-13 08:27:29

I agree with ozzie on the potty thing. If your child needs a potty every 30 seconds he or she is not ready for potty training. Just a thought.

NumericalMum Thu 11-Apr-13 08:27:43

I agree with ozzie on the potty thing. If your child needs a potty every 30 seconds he or she is not ready for potty training. Just a thought.

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Apr-13 09:20:41

Good god I'd never change a baby in Starbucks - that's just rank and disrespectful to everyone else in there (and I don't give a shit if it's breast/formula/fruit shoot/unicorn tears and pixie dust fed) - I'm waiting for the "AIBU to check with the woman changing her baby two tables down from us is breastfeeding cos that'll make the whole thing acceptable" thread... or the "AIBU to be pissed off a formula feeder is changing a nappy on the table across from us" one.

Ask the staff to stick your coffee behind the counter and go do it somewhere less disgusting.

Rank, utterly selfish and just giving parents a bad name - it's not the smell that's the issue - it's the whole excrement somewhere people are eating factor.

lljkk Thu 11-Apr-13 09:36:28

There is no dignified but reasonably convenient way of checking a baby's nappy.

Lift and sniff normally, but have been known to pull back nappy for a peek.

Always somewhere discreet for a poo-change if possible. But not for a wet one.

mrsjay Thu 11-Apr-13 10:36:13

there was a toddler at work yesterday good gawd there was no need to lift and sniff at all she was erm ripe , we had to open the windows she is the sweetest most angelic looking baby i have ever seen how could she smell so bad grin

Agree mrsjay - LO is currently teething, and his dirty nappies make my eyes water when I open them. I don't understand how this gorgeous child can make such a hellish stench.

mrsjay Thu 11-Apr-13 10:41:14

I don't understand how this gorgeous child can make such a hellish stench.

I know right how can it be so bad ,

Beamae Thu 11-Apr-13 11:07:25

Definitely sniff. My MIL whips down their trousers and has a good rummage around, no matter where she is. She has done it on a table in a busy cafe. I was quite shocked. Quick sniff, then off to baby changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now