To find the public sniffing of babies' bottoms/nappy changes undignified?

(88 Posts)
gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:41:40

Even though I have one of my own now, I still try to avoid the "lift and sniff" nappy check technique. If I do it, I try to be very subtle about it. It's always made me uncomfortable, don't really know why. Also the public "I don't have to go anywhere to change this really rotten nappy. I'll just do it here while you eat your scone," school of thought. I always go away somewhere, not because my child's nappies are horrid, (they're not, they smell like Angel Delight) but because I think it's more dignified for the baby. Babies deserve some privacy, no? My two SILs do both of these things all the time and I'm silently judgey, but they have six kids between them so maybe IABU?

Booyhoo Wed 10-Apr-13 15:28:43

grin

How on earth would you know?

mummytime Wed 10-Apr-13 16:01:35

I can't imagine ever been so crass as to mention to any of the now teens I know that I've seen their nappy being changed.

Lift and sniff is crucial at toddlers when you are not sure whether it is your little one or someone elses. It also works well to get other people to check theirs.

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 16:13:51

Well my eldest is a teen, he had his bum changed in front of many people and by many people. No one has ,mentioned it to him!

My parents have numerous naked pictures of me as a baby, they would come out occasionally when I was a teen and we had family etc visiting. I was never bothered. Nor is ,y ds1 by his...I actually have a picture of me holding him with poo up his back after a particularly explosive nappy, it went all down my jeans as well and dp finding it hilarious took a photo!

SquirrelNuts Wed 10-Apr-13 16:24:44

I sniff my babies bum in public, like others have said its better than putting a finger into a nappy full of shite. Have never changed my babies in public though

Snowgirl1 Wed 10-Apr-13 16:38:43

I'd rather do the sniff test than end up with DD with nappy rash

Amykins Wed 10-Apr-13 16:38:52

Lift and sniff is better than putting "no?" at the end of a sentence.

mrsjay Wed 10-Apr-13 16:41:07

I dont think a baby is all that worried about dignity the lift and sniff method is over in seconds I saw somebody lift sniff and change once in the middle OF BREWERS FAYRE shock now that is disgusting

Madmum24 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:29:20

I do a very discreet sniff, I hate people who are constantly sniffing (the air) and making announcements like "I smell a dirty bum-bum!"

I also cannot stand public nappy changes, I was in a restaurant and a women lay her baby on the table and changed a well plastered nappy in full view of everyone. Discusting.

XBenedict Wed 10-Apr-13 20:31:48

Better than a finger dip wink

OhLori Wed 10-Apr-13 20:38:55

YANBU. I have always found the "sniffing" thing very undignified and gross. It always felt like the parents were boasting in some way that they were a parent and had to change nappies, and need to show the 'dirty work' of parenthood to an audience.

megsmouse Wed 10-Apr-13 20:43:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumofweeboys Wed 10-Apr-13 20:45:59

I wish for the days of lift and sniff. You can smell my nearly 2 year old from 10ft away lol.

Mine usually changed in the sittingroom but did nearly throw when my friend changed her 3.5yr old decided to change her sons poo nappy in my sittingroom (I was suffering ms at the time).

halcyondays Wed 10-Apr-13 20:50:47

Nothing wrong with sniffing, I wouldn't have changed a nappy in front of people who were eating.

YABU.
Of course nappies shouldn't be changed where someone else is eating and not for the sake of the baby's privacy grin!

MrsRV Wed 10-Apr-13 21:01:58

In the space of 2 weeks I have a. Got a pooey finger from trying to peek in the side and b. made my SIL smell my DD's nappy in a room full of family members as a vile smell seemed to be following me around. Sister in law happily buried her head in my LO's nappy & confirmed no poo but probably a wee. Turned out, the vile smell was some milky sick that had dried into the carpet without us realising.

I lift and sniff (for efficiency). Agree about privacy though, particuarlly MIL who changes DS's nappy in the middle of the living room. I don't agree to the point where i'd get off the sofa and do it myself if she offers to do it though (efficient at lazyness too).

edwardsmum11 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:20:01

I have lifted and sniffd but always change somewhere private when out anywhere but family's houses.

Time2Nap Wed 10-Apr-13 21:31:45

I have no problems with the sniff check, some people's kids toilet a lot and you can't always tell without sniff or check!

I used to hate people changing their baby in front of me but now mine is nearly 2 I find myself doing so, but usually when we are around friends with kids. i do tend to get ot of the way with other people, although i find some people dont seem to want you to stop conversation to go and change baby ( i dont think you can win).

I think after changing several a day you just ge the job done and not think bout it.

What I do find disgusting is the fact people don't wash their hands after changing dirty nappies, It might be your baby but it is still shit!

Time2Nap Wed 10-Apr-13 21:32:37

Oh and out in public places I always use changing facilities smile

comelywenchlywoo Wed 10-Apr-13 21:35:59

Changing a pooey nappy near people eating: disgusting!
DBIL once took all the nappy changing paraphernalia from the bathroom TO the living-room and changed the nappy there, where we were eating our take-away on our laps. It was korma.

The lift and sniff is the best only way I know to check if DS has filled or not.

YABU

M0naLisa Wed 10-Apr-13 21:54:34

I do the lift and sniff and then change in a baby changing room
If I can.

Fakebook Wed 10-Apr-13 21:56:46

I always take a quick sniff whilst pretending to hug and kiss ds. It's not like you sit there and take a deep intake of shit smell and savour the moment. Yabu.

RatPants Wed 10-Apr-13 21:58:58

I don't think it bothers the babies. grin

Possibly wouldn't do it to a teenager though...

LimeLeaffLizard Wed 10-Apr-13 22:36:51

YABU and precious. There is no better way to test.

5318008 Wed 10-Apr-13 22:46:38

sniffing is better than 'looking with your fingers' innit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now