To find the public sniffing of babies' bottoms/nappy changes undignified?

(88 Posts)
gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:41:40

Even though I have one of my own now, I still try to avoid the "lift and sniff" nappy check technique. If I do it, I try to be very subtle about it. It's always made me uncomfortable, don't really know why. Also the public "I don't have to go anywhere to change this really rotten nappy. I'll just do it here while you eat your scone," school of thought. I always go away somewhere, not because my child's nappies are horrid, (they're not, they smell like Angel Delight) but because I think it's more dignified for the baby. Babies deserve some privacy, no? My two SILs do both of these things all the time and I'm silently judgey, but they have six kids between them so maybe IABU?

givemeaclue Wed 10-Apr-13 13:13:14

Yanbu in either respect.

Booyhoo Wed 10-Apr-13 13:14:08

undignified? to smell your child's nappy? oh please. take a run at it and jump over yourself.

KansasCityOctopus Wed 10-Apr-13 13:14:13

i've always taken my kids to the bathroom when changing them in public.

at other peoples houses i ask their preference.

MiaowTheCat Wed 10-Apr-13 13:15:06

I'll sniff if required but now she's on solids you can normally check DD1 for a suspicious lump just by feeling her backside. Mind you with the purple poo faces she pulls it's usually blooming obvious and only hiring a neon sign with "having a huge cack right about now" would make it more so.

Changing near people eating is just not on though.

DorcasDelIcatessen Wed 10-Apr-13 13:18:53

I used to sniff or have a quick peek if circumstances allowed it. God. So we're not allowed to sniff our kids arses now? Take all the fun out of parenting why don't ya? hmm

Bibs123 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:21:33

I think nappy changes should be done as discretely as possible... poo can be smelly and can offend people. I think the most reliable way to check if your baby has done a poo is to sniff, I don't care whether it's a great big obvious sniff or a discrete one!

MyPlugInBaby Wed 10-Apr-13 13:24:45

I lift and sniff, only to detect a poo though not to show off that my dearest has done a fantastic whiffy shit. How else would I know he'd pooed? It's not always obvious.

No changing in public unless no other option though.

My DD - just potty trained - likes to go up to the toilet if we go out for lunch/tea and come down and shout to anyone that'll listen "I'VE DONE A WEE AND A POO ON THE TOILET!!!"

That's always fun.

abbyfromoz Wed 10-Apr-13 13:29:30

I lift and sniff... And often regret it confused
Pooey! No surprised that DD's first sentence was something along the lines of 'yucky...poo poo! Errr yuck!'

I must admit to changing her wherever possible though. Once in her buggy whilst in a queue to get into Wimbledon (I didn't want to lose my place!) but if there is a change room or somewhere private i will always opt for that!!

everlong Wed 10-Apr-13 13:32:52

Changing a baby's dirty nappy in a cafe is really quite vile.

ChocolateCoins Wed 10-Apr-13 13:37:20

I do the lift and sniff but try and do it discreetly. I don't mind other people doing it though, I just feel uncomfortable doing it in front of people. I don't know why.

I wouldn't ever just change DD anywhere though.

ChocolateCoins Wed 10-Apr-13 13:39:51

To be fair, I don't need to do lift and sniff much any more as DD has taken to crouching, grunting and turning red.

recall Wed 10-Apr-13 13:42:31

Discreet sniff

Change poos away from other people

Change wet nappies on knee, very quickly and discreetly. Use a hand gel after, or wash hands if possible.

MummyPig24 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:47:51

I do the sniff test but would take the baby elsewhere to be changed. At stay and play the other day a woman was trying to change her rolling baby in the middle of the carpet where children were playing. A friend said "there's a changing room that has a table with a strap, it might be easier to change him there" but we knew what she was really meaning "we don't want to smell or see your child's shit, change him in the changing room"!

I do sniff, I try to be discreet. I don't know a better way of finding out, apart from the finger test. Yuck.

I always change nappy away from other people. I do get a bit flustered with public nappy changes. Don't need an audience. Have a very wriggly child.

gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:49:44

5madthings - the example I'm thinking of wasn't actually in public, just with an audience (me). I was 8 months preg and feeling a bit gruesome. My cousin, who keeps a changing at under the coffee table in the middle of her living room, changed a particularly disgusting nappy at my feet while I sat having a coffee with her. Don't flame me, I know she can do what she likes in her own home, but at that moment I thought, "Right, I will never do that." Mummies think their own child's poo smells like Angel Delight, but it doesn't. This child was teething and his smelled like vom.

kinkyfuckery - I mention the SIL's six kids because I thought, well, maybe I'm being a bit PFB with DD. I only have one so compared to one SIL who has four, I have all the time in the world for social niceties. I went on a caravan holiday with a friend who totally shocked me by repeatedly changing shitty nappies directly on the carpet of the nice, rented caravan! I have changed my own in the boot and the back seat of the car, in emergencies.

As for the sniffing, I think it reminds me of dogs??! I do use the technique, I'm just very surreptitious about it.

Eskino Wed 10-Apr-13 13:50:04

This is why we need a 'like' button.

grin at ComposHat

gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:50:17

changing MAT

5madthings Wed 10-Apr-13 13:54:14

Eww boak at that. I will change a nappy in the living room if its just wet but a pooey nappy in front of guests in the living room, nope!!!

gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:57:26

booyhoo - UNDIGNFIED FOR THE CHILD! For heaven's sake, I gave birth nine months ago. I have no personal dignity or inhibitions left! I do not want my DD to meet someone at the age of 16 who says, "Oh yes, I remember you. Your mum used to whip your nappy off in the middle of the prayer circle and treat us all to your diarrhoea."

crashdoll Wed 10-Apr-13 13:57:40

Discreet sniffing obviously fine. Lady in Nandos who passed her (very cute) newborn around for a couple of other people tol lift n' sniff is not fine! Yes, I know, totally my fault for going to Nandos but their chicken is bloody good!!

Mumsyblouse Wed 10-Apr-13 14:10:12

I also hate the lift and sniffing display, I found it really disgusting to watch! I just used to put my child on my knee or hover above them, that told me all I needed to know, or take them off and check.

I hate the lift and sniffersa and the people who know full well they have a full and pooey nappy but carry on for at least ten minutes not dealing with it while the stench is filling the room. Get on with it if you notice it!

Booyhoo Wed 10-Apr-13 14:23:37

"I do not want my DD to meet someone at the age of 16 who says, "Oh yes, I remember you. Your mum used to whip your nappy off in the middle of the prayer circle and treat us all to your diarrhoea." "

how many people have you met in your life that have mentioned how your nappy was changed when you were a baby?

catch a grip.

also, my comment was about the sniffing.

gail734 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:18:01

Nobody has ever mentioned how my nappy was changed when I was a baby, because it was never changed in front of anybody!

SatsukiKusukabe Wed 10-Apr-13 15:20:49

I have two babies, I will not bugger off to the toilet every time one if them gas a bit a of wind and might have pooped. I will give it 2 minutes and then do a good bum sniff to be sure. I'd never leave toilet otherwise.

SatsukiKusukabe Wed 10-Apr-13 15:27:15

how did you know Gail? have you actually gone to effort to confirm with your parents?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now