"oh, don't you like dogs?"

(24 Posts)
GoGlenCoco Wed 10-Apr-13 11:42:21

As part of my work I had to visit a woman's house early this morning. She invited me into the kitchen, when I opened the door there was 10 dogs in there, all ran up to me - surrounding me, jumping up and barking at me.

She looked and said "oh don't you like dogs?" and then laughed.

I think dogs are great animals, but no I don't like being put in a situation like that.

Aibu to think this was quite a patronising thing to say?

kinkyfuckery Wed 10-Apr-13 11:43:30

Patronising? How so?

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 10-Apr-13 12:04:54

I don't like dogs and it annoys me how alot of owners expect everyone else to like them too.
So in my opinion Yanbu.

fuzzysnout Wed 10-Apr-13 12:09:13

Not really patronising. It would have been polite / sensible to ask you before putting you in the situation, however were her 10 dogs really so quiet that you didn't realise they were there before you went into the room?

I speak as a very big dog fan, but I think you need to realise that people who have that many dogs are generally totally bonkers a little bit unique and it probably never occurred to her that you wouldn't love her fur babies too grin

merlottits Wed 10-Apr-13 12:09:56

I find dog people are like people with young children - so wrapped up in their lifestyle and so in love with their 'babies' they have lost perspective about what others may feel.

The majority of dog people (and cat people thinking about it) seem to assume I WANT to have their animal jumping on my lap and licking my face because THEY find it cute.

However, I am guilty of assuming visitors want my 2.5 year old sitting on their lap singing and doing all the actions to "row, row, row the boat" and "the wheels on the bus".

grin

PetiteRaleuse Wed 10-Apr-13 12:11:13

I always put my dog outside when people come to the house, and let him back in when I am sure the visitor is happy with that.

TheNebulousBoojum Wed 10-Apr-13 12:11:15

Did you stay and do what you needed to, or leave?
No, I don't like badly-behaved dogs, and that includes jumping up and barking.

AnyoneforTurps Wed 10-Apr-13 12:12:52

YANBU - I have a dog whom I love dearly but that doesn't mean I'd be happy to have 10 strange dogs jumping on me.

I also have to do home visits (GP) and get dogs jumping on me all the time. If I don't specifically ask for them to be shut out of the room, the owners will let them stick their heads in my doctor's case and - on one occasion - even get into the case and lie down. Very hygenic!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 10-Apr-13 12:23:55

I like dogs, I have one of my own but I would never assume that anyone coming into my house would want my dog anywhere near them so he is either told to stay on his bed or he is put out of the room.

I would've felt very uncomfortable with 10 dogs in a small room though. She was wrong to put you in that situation.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 10-Apr-13 12:32:47

I would have walked straight back out of there OP! I hate it when dogs jump up and bark at me or DC and I don't understand why any dog owner thinks it is acceptable behaviour. Any sane person would definitely have warned you about so many dogs because 10 really isn't an ordinary number.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 10-Apr-13 12:33:39

I don't know that she says patronising, but certainly very annoying!

ZolaBuddleia Wed 10-Apr-13 12:34:02

What's to like, they smell and you have to pick up their shit. Yuck.

Backtobedlam Wed 10-Apr-13 12:41:00

10 dogs! Did she live in a Stately Home? That's a crazy number to not warn someone about, its more like a pack than a pet. I like dogs, but only one or two at a time, wouldn't enjoy being mobbed by 10.

skratta Wed 10-Apr-13 12:46:54

10 dogs! I LOVE dogs (we have two...and until recently had a foster pup who has since been adopted!) but 10 dogs is a proper pack. And however much I love dogs, they do have...aromas....and our dogs are very clean but you can still smell dog in the house! I can't imagine 10 dogs...

CoffeeShoppe Wed 10-Apr-13 12:49:53

Well you went to her house, so you must take on board the way she lives her life. Would have been different if she turned up at your door with 10 dogs in tow expecting to come in.

So, for that, YABU

nkf Wed 10-Apr-13 12:51:56

Weird woman. Personally, I think that unless you are a dog breeder, that owning 10 dogs is a sign of insanity.

Ullena Wed 10-Apr-13 12:54:13

I can honestly say that dogs are far better than cats. Yes, little bastard cat, I am looking at you he stole my lunch again today ! Were they small -- scary mops on legs-- dogs op, or proper ones? As there is a crucial difference grin

<loves the smell of dog>

Ullena Wed 10-Apr-13 12:55:48

Damn, strikeout fail! But you know the ones I mean: all fur and teeth, and impossible to tell if they are snarling or if that is their default expression.

Booyhoo Wed 10-Apr-13 12:57:16

10 dogs? how big is her house?

i always ask new visitors if they are ok with my dog before i bring them into whatever room he is in. if they say no i go and put him in another room before bringing them in. i think it's just common sense (and decency tbh). who wants to have a conversation with someone who is more distracted by fear or annoyance of your dog?

Chipstick10 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:01:36

I'm a dog owner and I get annoyed by other dog owners who expect everyone to love dogs. IMO YANBU

LemonPeculiarJones Wed 10-Apr-13 13:02:50

Almost as if she was enjoying a power trip confused Standing back and observing your discomfort with a twinkle in her eye.

Nothing to do with loving dogs or not. Fucking weird behaviour.

Emilythornesbff Wed 10-Apr-13 13:03:51

merlottits I would like that though.
Oh, and " sleepy bunnies" for an encore

Emilythornesbff Wed 10-Apr-13 13:04:46

Bloody smelly dogs!
10 dogs!!

JollyPurpleGiant Wed 10-Apr-13 13:08:41

I sometimes visit people at home and regularly have to put up with dogs barking or attempting to lick me. I'm allergic to anything with fluff too. And folk smoking while I am there for a 15 minute visit. Why do they think this is okay?

The worst was a very small terrier who snuck up behind me on the back of the sofa and licked my neck. I nearly shat myself. Actually, maybe that would have taught the owner a lesson in hospitality grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now