to be sick of the misogynist 'ding dong the witch is dead' stuff?

(154 Posts)
sieglinde Wed 10-Apr-13 11:27:11

Look, I didn't like her either, but the misogyny of some of the retweetings and facebookings of 'ding dong the witch is dead' are really annoying me.

FFS. She wasn't a witch, and if you lot are simpleminded enough to cast yourselves as a. munchkins or b. witchhunters, then you are bringing the left into disrepute.

Stop it. Stop it now.

HoppinMad Sat 13-Apr-13 23:26:36

Ive not really commented on MT or her demise as I was too young to remember her as prime minister, and I dont speak ill of the dead nor enjoy grave-dancing.

However since learning about her racist comments on Asians to the Aussie foreign minister I am hugely offended and really couldnt give a shit what anyone called her. <Shrug>

LastMangoInParis Sun 14-Apr-13 21:50:22

Couscous I think the point you make about people taking responsibility is spot on - and I find it depressing and plain weird that this isn't obvious to everyone (hence my earlier post about Thatcher having legitimately held office). However much people despise(d) her policies, and however disastrous they were, they are what the electorate chose. Marina Lewicka wrote an excellent piece about how her policies appealed to fear and greed.

Also, Couscous, your point about how her holding office and what she did as PM may have damaged women's status in politics reminds me of what my dear grandfather used to tell me - way back in the 80s, when he used to predict how Thatcher would be hated for decades to come. Used to say we'll be unlikely to see another female PM for a century because of how she'll be remembered and seen as such a hate figure.

So yes, all this 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' does seem to represent deep misogyny, and an apathetic sort of scapegoating and denial of collective responsibility. Funny how these attitudes go hand in hand.

marjproops Tue 16-Apr-13 20:20:56

well, Ive just cried. watching the news and recent footage of her tottering out of no 10, having to be helped to negotiate the steps.

A strong bold woman that got old and ill and ended up so frail and delicate.

for all her 'faults', she died a frail old woman, someones mother and grandmother. just reminded me of my gran, she was just as delicate in her last days.

marjproops Tue 16-Apr-13 20:22:54

ps-and my gran was rascist-even though her great-grandson is mixed race!

a sign of their times, like the 70's 'love thy naighbour' stuff.it was just the way she was brought up, she wasnt an bad person-

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now