Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU about how much to pay for my dance costume?

(36 Posts)
MixedBerries Wed 10-Apr-13 11:06:57

Really not sure about this. It's not a serious matter, nor is it keeping me awake at night but just wondering what everyone else thinks...

I'm part of a dance group and we're performing at a festival in July. At first, the festival date clashed with my family's holiday so I said I couldn't perform with them. Our teacher went ahead and bought costumes for the group which cost £40 each in the shop and so this is what she charged the others.

The festival date has now been moved which means I CAN perform after all. Teacher said this was fine if I could find the same costume elsewhere as the shop she bought from had sold out. I found the costume (dress) on ebay and bought it for £9.99 myself. The teacher is now asking me to pay her £30 as everyone else had to pay £40 for theirs and it's not fair mine only cost me £9.99.

Is she BU to ask me to give her £30 to make up the difference? Or should the rest of the group just have to live with the fact I bought mine cheaper? I could pay it just for the sake of harmony but I'm wondering about the principle.

MummytoKatie Wed 10-Apr-13 12:29:24

You could suggest you bring in some chocs or something for backstage if you wanted to be nice......

Of course then the others will know that you got your costume much cheaper and she may not want that....

RougePygmy Wed 10-Apr-13 13:07:32

She is not that nice if she is planning on pocketing £30 of your money...

She can hardly talk about fairness if she is trying to con money out of you.

zzzzz Wed 10-Apr-13 13:12:37

I'd wait and let her bring it up again and then just say "goodness, I thought you were joking! Of course I can't give you £30 of my money because my dress was cheaper than the ones you bought."

MammaTJ Wed 10-Apr-13 13:46:11

Actually, just worked out your approach.

Tell her you had to start a case against the person you were buying from on ebay because they failed to send it to you. (Or it was fault and you had to send it back, depending whether she knew you had recieved it or not) You have now had to order one from another supplier, unfortunatly this has cost a great deal more. She will be ok to cover the difference won't she? When can you pay me dance teacher?

MammaTJ Wed 10-Apr-13 13:47:07

fault faulty

unfortunatly unfortunately

Crinkle77 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:49:15

YANBU how dare she ask you for the £30 and then pocket the difference for herself. You could say that you are happy to give a donation to charity and see what she says

RubyGates Wed 10-Apr-13 13:51:48

What!
No way.

If I were the others I'd be a bit miffed that she hadn't done her homework before sourcing them for £40. No, you don't give her the difference. She did nothing to help you with the costume. confused

MixedBerries Wed 10-Apr-13 14:46:56

Some great ideas!

Pixieonthemoor Wed 10-Apr-13 14:48:44

That's just so weird and bonkers!! If she was trying to make it a bit more fair on the others surely she would be splitting the £30 between the rest of the dance troupe not pocketing it herself!! How on earth is that fair??

MixedBerries Wed 10-Apr-13 21:22:34

Ok. Thanks so much everyone who replied. I have an approach in mind and I'll let you know how it goes.

quoteunquote Wed 10-Apr-13 21:41:01

Bonkers, unless she charges £30 conformation of matching outfit fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now