to ask what are the most loathed topic starters for mumsnetters?

(82 Posts)
KarmaBitch Wed 10-Apr-13 11:04:23

I'm a new poster although I've lurked for a good while. So what are the loathed topics that keep resurfacing time and time again? Or ones that get on everyone's tits?

[braces self for this would probably be one of those threads] grin

DorcasDelIcatessen Wed 10-Apr-13 11:42:14

People talking about "Playdates". Ugh. I find that term very infantile and creepy.

HappyJoyful Wed 10-Apr-13 11:46:33

I enjoy MN for product tips, places to visit and cooking advice, I like specific issues surrounding behaviour questions and have had some great thoughts and advice on various topics.

However, do find myself tearing hair out over topics that start 'when is correct age to'.... potty train/start weaning/move child to bed. I even recall seeing one about changing 'baby on board' car sticker to 'child on board'

I find myself overwhelmingly wondering who these women are that can't make a judgement on their child's development without comparing or feeling that 'it's because so and so are doing it' or 'I've read a book and it must be at this age'

skratta Wed 10-Apr-13 11:51:15

There's so many to list...

Other people's badly behaved children
People who ask ITABU because the answer is clearly YANBU and they just want to be told and complimented.

Parking, particularly P&C Spaces.

Noise. "My neighbour won't stop lightly sneezing" to which they all harp "Keep a diary and call the police!" FFS

Giving children tea/coffee

Anything about MILS or SILS which will undoubtedly warrant the wisdom of "your baby, your rules". Makes me want to eat my own face.

BF v FF. Totally unrealistic in real life hardly anyone actually cares.

Some smug shite like "I cook from scratch every night, why don't you?!" or "To think everyone has time to grate cheese" or "My child is a spirited gentle creative soul, but this scraggy little ruffian keeps going near him, I'm worried he might catch poor and naughty".

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 10-Apr-13 12:02:21

grin at 'catch poor and naughty'....

all the above
plus
anything in aibu to do with special needs, never ends well...(.i hide them. i dont like the sight of blood. )

I also hate threads that just have the title 'FFS' or 'Oh my God' with no actual information in the title so I have no idea if I could be of any use or not without clicking on the bloody thread, oh the minutes I have wasted doing that grin

Asinine Wed 10-Apr-13 12:10:20

My pet hates

Reading levels
Ones about everything I wear being declared crap

Have a love/hate thing going on with

Private vs comp/grammar
Class related threads

dothraki Wed 10-Apr-13 12:21:43

grin catch poor and naughty
MT - accidently looked at one yesterday (about the charts) angry

dothraki Wed 10-Apr-13 12:24:10

Oh yeah - and What should I buy DH (or anyone) for his birthday
If you don't know - how do you expect me to confused

wigglesrock Wed 10-Apr-13 12:35:41

Anything to do with how you find your family from babies to teenagers.

Parking spaces

Any thread where the word chav is bandied about esp baby names

Oh and threads that whine about celebrities disliking Mumsnet. It's a website, people are allowed to dislike it, I do sometimes!

wigglesrock Wed 10-Apr-13 12:36:51

Not find your family feed your family smile

Oh and I almost forgot spelling and grammar threads smile

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 12:38:50

Judgmental ones like where the OP saw a toddler eating a cookie the size of her head and wanted to know if she was being unreasonable to be horrified and should she say something to the parents.

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 12:42:22

The ones that really push my buttons though are the relationship ones where someone asks for advice on the partner who is cold, unloving and a bit a bastard and the consensus is that he probably has an undiagnosed ASD. angry

hairtearing Wed 10-Apr-13 12:42:22

mothers who choose to stay at home
noisy kids in restaurants,
earpiercings
Maggie thatcher lol
breastfeeeding/FF
just any situation where any child at any time may be noisy,distressed in the presence of an adult * god forbid,

WilsonFrickett Wed 10-Apr-13 12:45:53

Weddings!

I'm bf-ing my one day old baby, AIBU to not drive 600 miles to a wedding in the middle of nowhere where the cheapest thing on the gift list costs £1 million and it's £87.45 for a G&T?

As above, but for hen do's.

They've asked for money, is it grabby? (yes)

I'm not inviting children, AIBBridezilla?

etc etc.

::Disclaimer: the wedding poem asking for money thread was excellent though::

Butkin Wed 10-Apr-13 12:52:19

Can't believe we've got this far down the thread without that old chestnut - what Class are you?

Any subjects which already polarise opinion (private schools, BF, foxhunting, Thatcher etc) are also rather boring to re-debate.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Wed 10-Apr-13 13:03:44

Those ones where people are absolutely baffled that anyone could want to go to either a hen party or a baby shower under any circs. Lots of words like 'vulgar' 'grabby' 'tacky' 'cheap' 'American' are thrown about. In a similar vein, the ones where you like someone enough to go to their wedding but not enough to buy them a present as they are 'grabby' and 'entitled'. If you don't like them, don't go, if you do, buy them a fecking present, one they will like and get pleasure from.

mackerella Wed 10-Apr-13 13:12:39

Oh God, the "am I pregnant?" ones drive me up the wall. How the fuck would I know? confused Just go and POAFS and stop being so attention-seeking! <tolerant>

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 10-Apr-13 13:16:55

Or the 'Guess who/what I saw today' which runs for about 200 posts before the OP comes back for the reveal.
I used to read them in my early days, now I just ignore, just tell us on the first post please.

DorcasDelIcatessen Wed 10-Apr-13 13:23:05

Lady I hate those threads. I don't know why anyone would care?

Badvoc Wed 10-Apr-13 13:27:44

Sahm v wohm
Bf v ff
Weaning
All Aibu

KarmaBitch Wed 10-Apr-13 13:33:14

I have to admit there are a lot of MT threads going. Her funeral isn't until next week and it's apparently being part televised. So I'm sure there's going to be plenty more.

oldwomaninashoe Wed 10-Apr-13 13:37:36

The MIL bashing threads!

zukiecat Wed 10-Apr-13 13:37:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thornrose Wed 10-Apr-13 13:39:57

Has anyone mentioned eating snacks in the supermarket before paying? That's been done many times, never ends well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now