To wonder if Mrs T would have been loathed less if she was a man?

(106 Posts)
Lucyellensmum95 Wed 10-Apr-13 08:53:32

I was a teenager in the Thatcher years, many of my school friends were the children of miners and they suffered serious hardship. Then there was the poll-tax, reposessions, etc etc....... So, im not saying she was great. But no worse than Tony Blair following bush blindly into iraq to look for non existent weapons of mass destruction, no worse than Cunty Cameron (who actually i dislike quite deeply because his incompetence and indecision is destroying our country), but I am sure that when he dies no one will be dancing on his grave, he will probably be long forgotten (hopefully - like a bad dream).

It doesn't matter which party is in power, there will be people who dislike them, people who like them.

I think it is wrong that Mrs T is to be given a state funeral, i thiought it was wrong that Diana got one - its a waste of tax payers money and well, a bit naff really.

Does anyone else wonder if it is because, regardless of her policies, she was a strong woman (no one can deny that) that people hold her up as such a hate figure - I think it is unfair. I didn't like her - but all this glee at her death is quite frankly, embarrasing.

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 10-Apr-13 22:36:02

For the years I've been alive and aware of politics it seems like a cycle. Labour bring the feel good community support factor to the UK in terms of developing policies, but unfortunately they seem to go beyond the scale of us ever being able to afford to pay for it.

The country then gets into trouble and harsh measures are brought in to cut costs and generate money to bring us back from the brink. This is where the Conservatives step in. Social interaction - nope, trying to promote wealth and reduce deficits tends to be their focus. I wonder when we will ever get the correct balance.

When Thatcher came into power the country was on it's knees financially. It took extreme measures to turn around the economy. I'm not saying all her decisions were correct, but she walked in at an extremely controversial time.

I think her sex definitely played a part against her, Thatcher the milk snatcher was even more pertinent as she was a mother etc. But looking back why was I entitled to free milk, both my parents worked and we had our own house and disposable income? Yet I still remember my mother slating and belittling her decisions "as a woman and mother" in our kitchen.

Pilgit Wed 10-Apr-13 22:50:58

All the focus for what happened in the 80's is on her. It wasn't just her - everything would have gone through cabinet or parliament and more likely both - we live in a democracy not a dictatorship. Blair and Brown aren't blamed in the same way - it's New Labour. YANBU.

grovel Wed 10-Apr-13 22:51:36

WallyBantersJunkBox, interesting post. My Dad (I think) accepted Thatcher. She was "that bloody woman" to my Mum.

ParadiseChick Wed 10-Apr-13 22:54:55

The buck stops with the prime minister, it's sort of the point of the job.

MoreBeta Wed 10-Apr-13 22:59:11

I was a teenager in the 1970s so I rememebr it well.

Margaret Thatcher had the guts to do things no man would ever do.

She was not bound by the inbuilt considerations men have for other men. She was not part of the cosy old boys club of Westminster.

I well remember Heath, Wilson, Callaghan. All grey men and interchangable - totally unwilling to do what was necessary.

It was because she was a woman outside the coterie of men that run politics that she could do the thinsg she dis. She is hated for what she did and she did them precisely because she was a woman who could.

She was not hated for being a woman though.

katrinefonsmark Wed 10-Apr-13 23:09:24

It's not possible to consider whether she'd have been loathed less if she was a man. If she'd been a man, she wouldn't have been her. She felt she had to be strong to compete with men. She felt the need to chastise the men around her for their spinelessness, she was feminine in so many ways.
She was a woman and what she was and the decisions she made were bound with her sex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now