AIBU to expect Asda, NOT, to have very dangerous seeded grapes on casual display ,within reach of young children?

(132 Posts)
TheGrapesOfWrath Wed 10-Apr-13 01:02:06

why do they have to put them in such easy reach?
Why do they put them at toddler eye level?
It's irresponsible at best and could cause a very serious injury.

Sorry if this sounds a bit ranty but I am,so, very cross.

We went to Asda today,whilst shopping there my DD was sitting in the trolley and by expert toddler deception obtained, ate then choked on a couple of seeds from a handful of acquired grapes.angry
I only ever buy seedless ones for DD so she is NOT used to grapes, even having seeds.
She coughed for quite a while, it made her eyes water. sad
Poor DD it must have been terrifying for her.
I'm not sure if to just complain or take some other action?
It's really put poor DD off eating grapes, which is a such a huge shame, as she always enjoys a snack whilst we shop.
DH thinks we should take legal action, I'm not sure.
Do you think we would we have a strong legal case against Asda?
Thank you in advance..

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 10-Apr-13 15:36:02

I hope you didnt choke on the tomato seeds then westiemamma your mum could have sued once she stopped laughing dangerous things these lethal weapons disguised as fruit. grin

My dd can eat a whole apple, core and all, except the pips, she manages quite successfully to spit these out at great force.

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 15:20:57

westiemamma did you get charged for the tomatoes?

Nope, they didn't get the chance. I couldn't get out fast enough. My humiliation wasn't help by the fact that I was covered in tomato juice and seeds my own mother was doubled up laughing her head off at my predicament. Cheers for that mum.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 10-Apr-13 14:28:38

This is a joke I'm sure. It's a new(ish) twist on the original very long running GrapesofWrath thread which must be buried in Classics somewhere.

Just give her a French stick to chew on next time OP. It'll keep her occupied for much longer with the added bonus of making a huge crumby mess.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 10-Apr-13 14:24:41

westiemamma did you get charged for the tomatoes?

Coconutty Wed 10-Apr-13 14:17:05

DS1 grabbed a mango once which Asda had left at eye level, and swallowed it whole. Stone and all.

Do I win a prize?

SocialClimber Wed 10-Apr-13 14:09:07

I still chop grapes in half. My kids are 6 and 9.

I'm not as big a wanker as the OP though.

Also, how does one choke on a seed?

theodorakisses Wed 10-Apr-13 14:04:31

It all depends, where did the grapes park their car? Was it a P and T space? Did they have their children with them, did the children have pierced ears? Were the grapes middle class? Did they drive a 4x4? Were grape children state educated? Were the grapes formula fed? Have you seen their behaviour at soft play?
It is impossible to draw a fair conclusion without all of the facts (and as any MNer knows, these points must always be addressed).

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 13:43:55

I slipped on a load of uncleared up squished grapes in Asda once and ended up with a badly sprained ankle. It never occured to me to sue. I was too busy trying to figure out a dignified exit bearing in mind I went completely arse over tit and ended up flat on my back in a crate of tomatoes. blush

It's a crap wind up though, after being in house for nigh on 3 weeks with noro virus/chicken pox ridden children, I expect more from wind up merchants than this poor offering, must try harder OP smile

Actually OP, I think you're focusing on entirely the wrong issue here - if just picked off the shelf, then the grapes won't have been washed shock - Maybe you should take DD to A&E to check for any possible injury from accidental chemical ingestion?

wink

Not at all marking place, oh no

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 10-Apr-13 13:35:00

Actually, I take back my piss taking. DD did one sever her leg with a dangerously cornered box of tampons. sad

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 10-Apr-13 13:29:27

Ok know there are 150 odd posts on the thread, but I seriously cant get past dangerously seeded grapes!!!!! grin

As opposed to safety grapes perhaps?

ROFLMFAO

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 10-Apr-13 13:22:56

Of course it's a wind up.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Apr-13 13:17:44

Dull as.

RougePygmy Wed 10-Apr-13 13:15:12

Oh is this one of those "joky" wind up threads that splits Mn down the middle between it being " a funny wind up joke thread by a well known poster" or "why it this allowed, surely it is the same as trolling"

Even if it is a wind up, it is nor a funny or clever one tbh. Not sure why there is a lot of "well done op"

But if it is real, OP you need to stop your daughter from heading down the dark and dangerous path of shoplifting!! Tut Tut...

I personally like to use grapes to play a game with my two, I sit and chuck them at them as they run around with their mouths open, if i get 5 in 1 child's mouth then I win a prize. We tried it with a melon the one time but that ended up in a trip to A&E and me having to bribe the children to not give the game away.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 10-Apr-13 13:08:48

This made me laugh!! Yabu!

thebody Wed 10-Apr-13 12:56:23

Funny as. Well done op.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 10-Apr-13 12:55:14

I think it would be better to ensure that your toddler doesn't nick grapes (or other bits) from supermarkets.

I know they've got about 20 hands at times grin but when you are passing the grapes, or anything else your toddler is likely to grab at - make sure they are more than their arm's length away. Then they can't reach.

Or put them in the trolley. Then they can't reach.

Or have them on the other side of you. Then they can't reach.

You have a responsibility as parents to ensure that your toddler doesn't get hold of stuff they can choke on, as much as Asda do to make sure that grapes aren't easy for your toddler to pinch.

I really wouldn't sue. you'll look like a fool.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 10-Apr-13 12:24:01

It's one of those 'hilaire' joke threads. Call TheSecondComing over somebody, they are her favourite sort.

Wickedgirl Wed 10-Apr-13 12:19:33

Yes sue Asda......I'm sure they weren't washed for you and they probably weren't even organic!

MansView Wed 10-Apr-13 12:12:52

OP - you're a cheeky fucker I'll grant you that..!

VodkaJelly Wed 10-Apr-13 11:59:13

DeWe, the story of a woman slipping on a grape and sued Asda is true, (there was no toddler though, that bit is urban myth), although another customer dropped the grape Asda were liable as it didnt clean it up in time.

Although the poor woman did a lot of damage to her knee and cannot walk far.

It was in Health and Safety literature I was researching for work once! Not Asda!

DeWe Wed 10-Apr-13 11:47:40

Wasn't there a genuine case a few year back (possibly in the US) where someone successfully sued a supermarket because they slipped on a grape and fell and broke their leg? The grape having been dropped by their toddler who was eating the (unpaid for) grapes.
Or is this an urban myth? I read it in a list of stupid unbelievable cases.

AgentZigzag Wed 10-Apr-13 11:37:17

You've quoted me out of context Eternal, how dare you.

<goes to fill in Jezza application form>

I agree with you OP, a similar thing happened to me, except then my DS managed to snaffle a whole leg of lamb and chomp it down in one. Obviously a coughing fit ensued and we are now in the process of legal proceedings. Due to said legal proceedings, I'm afraid I cannot name the store though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now