To think my husband has attention deficit disorder

(43 Posts)
brummiegirl1 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:33:20

I'm really worried about my husband but also am finding it really difficult to live with him. I don't mean that in a way that i don't love him but i'm starting to wonder if he has attention deficit disorder (not a problem if he has but need to deal with some issues)

For as long as we have been living together he does things that have driven me mad to be honest, for example i came home one day to the hot water tap left running in the bathroom, it must have been runnung for at least 3 hours. He is always continually leaving the front door open when he comes in and the worst was the other morning i came downstairs to the front door open so it must have been open all night. I went mad at my husband as we have an almost 3 year old and i just thought what would have happened if he had got up in the night while we were sleeping. He also left the side gate wide open the other day so anyone could have walked into our back garden. He doesn't fully turn taps off so they are always trickling so i turn them off and to be honest it's tiring having to feel that i have to check everything myself. He leaves cupboard doors and drawers open.

It is making me start to feel that it is more than simply just forgetting, he puts it down to stress but i'm not so sure. He is diagnosed as dyslexic. The thing is all of these things are making it difficult to live with asi feel i can't relax in my own house and have to keep checking things are secure. I brought this up to my husband in a calm manner and he went mad at me and went funny. I said that i wasn't being funny i meant it in a way to help. He has always said he struggled at school.

Not really sure what else to do as it's a conflicting issue. Obviously i want to be there for him but i don't want my safety or more importantly my childrens safety compromised with the house not being secure.

Branleuse Wed 10-Apr-13 08:08:24

It might be inattentive type ADD, it may not.

I strongly suspect I may have this, and i often leave cupboard doors open, keys in locks etc and jobs half done.

It may also be stress or depression//

Ledkr Wed 10-Apr-13 08:08:42

My dh does this I describe him as dozy he just isn't switched on.
He isn't a twat he's a lush caring kind and loving dh and dad but he takes ages to get ready, forgets everything, is late for everything, takes she's to respond eg baby cries. Dh hears her. Moves a bit. Stares into space, then eventually goes to her.
I worry about his safety awareness with her because his responses are so slow.
I have a niggle in the back if my mind that he may have asd the reason being that his dad and to some extent his mum have the same traits.
They literally drive me to despair with their procrastinating and standing around motionless. Even my family have noticed it.
No help but sympathy

shellbu Wed 10-Apr-13 08:52:33

lougle it wasnt a sweeping statement it was a statement ,i forgot to put the word MOST in , MOST blokes are mollycoddled as children by their mums and then by partners when they are older ,so MOST men are thoughtless lazy twats so unless you are one or have one i dont see why it bothered you , i was answering the op ,I wasnt asking for an opinion on what i said smile.

sherazade Wed 10-Apr-13 08:54:37

He is either very absent minded, or lazy.
people with ADD do not behave as you have described.

DigestivesWithCheese Wed 10-Apr-13 09:15:28

I have sympathy with you as my DH is very similar - down to leaving the front door wide open when he leaves for work in the morning & once leaving it open all night. He is not selfish or lazy, he is a lovely generous person and he works very hard.

I think he is definitely so absent minded due to stress, as he runs his own business, takes on too much & is always rushing around trying to be in three places at once. He doesn't remember many conversations that we have and can't even be relied upon to remember to pick up a pint of milk on the way home (he will go back out & get it when he realises, but he will not remember to stop for it even if I have phoned him just before he left work). He leaves a trail of open cupboards and empty packets everywhere that he has been in the kitchen.

I used to find it hard to understand how someone can be so busy that they forget the most simple things and I was often frustrated with him. However, when we had a baby who was in neonatal, I started to behave in exactly the same way - I couldn't concentrate at all and kept drifting off when people were speaking to me, losing my keys, going to the shop & forgetting what I'd gone for etc. My brain just seemed too "full" to take in the everyday things. Once my stress levels had reduced & life was back to normal, my short-term memory came back.

It gave me am insight into just how stressed my DH must be. I know it's not laziness because he forgets things that affect him too & gets really frustrated with himself. He has been taking high strength omega 3 plus for about a month now & I think I've seen a little bit of a difference in him. Although he did dash out of the house this morning shouting "I've got to be somewhere in three minutes, I forgot I'd arranged a meeting"... So maybe not a massive improvement grin.

I'm sorry I don't have any practical advice, maybe there will be some helpful advice soon?

mumofweeboys Wed 10-Apr-13 09:59:03

Hi

Could he be depressed? If this is a recent change in behaviour I would suggest taking him to gp. Friends husband was diagnosed with depression but gp also referred him to mental health team where he was assessed. Turns out he has always had ocd and obsessive thoughts, they taught him ways to deal with them and.cope.

ViviPru Wed 10-Apr-13 10:08:21

Just to add in my 2p worth in support of the other comments. Mr. Pru lives with ADHD, diagnosed in adult life. He is described by his consultant as a textbook case. He does not exhibit any of the behaviour you describe.

WilsonFrickett Wed 10-Apr-13 10:14:32

I think the absolute key issue here is has this just started happening recently or has he always been like this and it didn't bother you so much pre-DCs.

If he's always been like this, yes, perhaps he may have some sort of issue which leads to planning difficulties.

If it's new, is he stressed/depressed or is something else going on - because the kind of diagnosable conditions you're alluding too don't just 'come on', they're always there.

Or indeed he could just not think these things are important and that you will always be there to do the 'picking up' - but then I think you would know that and not be looking for some other explanation?

raspberryroop Wed 10-Apr-13 10:18:43

Text book case does not mean that it is the only presentation and ADHD like asd is a spectrum disorder with many aspects. YES IT can be very tied in with dyslexia which can have some visual aspects ( 80% though is a bonkers and unsubstantiated figure) But it sounds more as if he has working memory problems associated with dyslexia and ADHD.

raspberryroop Wed 10-Apr-13 10:22:12

And as above if recent - probably stress related . If long standing look fora diagnosis either way to a good 1st call

brummiegirl1 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:33:22

Thankyou for all your responses. TBH i think he has always been like this, i have just noticed it more since having our own house as previously we lived with my parents while we saved a house deposit so while i noticed his untidyness and disorganisation, locking up was not down to him.

He was not diagnosed with dyslexia at school it was only a few years ago when he started studying for his cause and they also noticed that he had trouble processing information.

I would never describe my husband as lazy i really don't think he means to do it although i can't help with feeling fed up with it at times either.

During a conversation he appears to drift off or is not listening when i talk to him which is frustrating. He also talks to himself alot and can get quite angry. These episodes always seem to involve work colleagues and things he wished he had said.

brummiegirl1 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:35:11

Sorry forgot to add, i don't know how to help him as he got defensive when i questioned some of his behaviour.

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 10:38:35

My husband does all of this. I spend half my life following him around closing drawers and doors and turning taps off. He doesn't have ADD but he does have AS.

To everyone saying their children have ADHD and its different, ADHD does manifest differently in adults to in children. My DH is awaiting investigation for it (problems are long term/forever but have only just thought of them as problems IYSWIM?). Forgetfulness is one of his quirks, but far from the only one!

And he wasn't mollycoddled by his mum hmm , he was brought up by a single dad

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 10-Apr-13 10:48:05

I think you've had some unsympathetic responses OP.

My DS has inattentive ADHD and ASD. He does exactly the things you describe. Obviously that doesn't mean your DH has inattentive ADHD but there are shared symptoms.

Not sure what ou do to help though TBH, we've not found anything that has helped our DS yet, apart from routine. You could try sticking notes around the house as reminders but its possible he will stop noticing them very quickly.

I suspect that this thread is in the wrong place. I can't see why it should be in AIBU, it doesn't appear that you're looking for a bun fight.

brummiegirl1 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:49:19

WestieMamma- What is AS?

Beyond the limits- how did your husband start investigations? My husband is the same, problems have always been there but only starting to recognise it as may be something to look into although still sensitive about it.

WestieMamma Wed 10-Apr-13 10:52:11

Asperger's Syndrome.

brummiegirl1 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:59:39

Thanks WestieMamma.

Sorry i probably shouldn't have put it in AIBU, only put it here as when i approached my husband about it he went all defensive and had a go at me, so i suppose i was asking if IBU to think his behaviour may be a symptom of something else.

I asked my husband if the reason he felt funny about what i said was because he thought there maybe some truth in it, he said "probably, yes".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now