ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To hire a Mariachi band for DS's birthday party?

(27 Posts)
GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 22:26:44

DS will be 1 btw grin

The party is really for us to invite lots of old friends we haven't seen for ages. Hopefully the sun will be out, BBQ in the garden etc. There will be a fair few young kids too.
Then Surprise! Mariachi band! grin

Would you like it or think it a bit hmm

LadyMountbatten Tue 09-Apr-13 22:28:39

What if its wet and you're in your living room ?

WorraLiberty Tue 09-Apr-13 22:31:23

A bit OTT for a baby's birthday

But if you're happy with it, you can't be unreasonable really.

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:05:01

Like I said Worra, it's more for the adults' enjoyment smile
If it's wet, the musicians will play inside. There'll only be 3 or so of them.

MardyBra Tue 09-Apr-13 23:06:33

YABU. Mariachi bands are really annoying.

I really want the Doritos Mariachi Band at my 40th next year...doubt it will happen though.

But a bit OTT for a child's birthday, I'd also worry that it might be a bit loud for a 1yo, but you know your child best!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 09-Apr-13 23:10:41

Ah why not? If they can make A Beluga Whale dance then they're sure to be a hit.

but they're not that lively in general..

deleted203 Tue 09-Apr-13 23:14:02

Up to you, I guess. A bit OTT in my opinion. My sister hired one for her wedding - bride and groom thought it witty and ironic: everyone else thought they were shit and annoying, TBH. Lots of wedding guests sitting around cringing with fixed smiles on their faces. It felt like being in a Doritos ad rather than anything else.

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:19:18

Hmm ok sad not quite the enthusiastic response I'd pictured in my mind grin

Maybe another kind of entertainment that appeals to kids & adults then - any suggestions?

MardyBra Tue 09-Apr-13 23:27:33

It might be quite amusing for one song. After that - no. Just no.

How about a Blues Brothers tribute band?

Why not get your DH and a couple of carefully selected insane friends to dress up as the Doritos mariachi band and do one or two songs. That way you get entertainment, laughter, and it's all over in 10 minutes so nobody who hates things like that has to suffer so to speak...
(and you can film them, put them online, and we can all watch too grin it'll be like we are all there with you <wheedles> grin)

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:33:47

Doesn't need to be musical necessarily. Just fun & a bit different

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:34:49

Oh oh grin PomBear LOVE that idea!! gringrin

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 09-Apr-13 23:39:44

They sound DREARY in real life OP...

superstarheartbreaker Tue 09-Apr-13 23:41:20

Bless you...it's cute! A bit pfb but never mind...it will be funny and memorable.

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:42:31

Close harmony group DH doing a version of Teddy Bears Picnic? smile

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:43:04

Btw DS is psb not pfb grin

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Tue 09-Apr-13 23:46:05

This whole thing would make me a bit hmm if I'm honest, I mean I assum I'm not on the invite list so needn't worry but it just all sounds too much. Maybe take it down just a couple of notches so it is more laid back?

GadaboutTheGreat Tue 09-Apr-13 23:49:59

This is the only organised fun/activity so far tbh. The rest of the party will just be a free for all people coming & going, a few drinks & cake...
Y'know, standard stuff confused

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Tue 09-Apr-13 23:55:26

Ok, Ok, it just sounded a bit.... much. It is just my point of view!

thezebrawearspurple Wed 10-Apr-13 00:19:36

I think it's a great ideagrin That would be fun for toddlers, you're allowed to go over the top for a first birthday, it's exciting!!! A clown would be good too. A clown dancing to a Mariachi band...

Clowns arescary <shudders> no clowns! <cringes>

ilovecolinfirth Thu 11-Apr-13 07:44:22

I must be a terrible mum...my ds1 had a birthday cake with just me and hubby..ds2 will have the same. I enjoy the ages when I DON'T have to do anything. However, you are not being unreasonable to want to have some fun...I'm just a misery guts! :>

Lottashakingoinon Thu 11-Apr-13 07:46:30

I hate mariachi bands but I think this sounds fun...are your neighbours invited ?????

lljkk Thu 11-Apr-13 09:33:29

I'd love Mariachis (reminds me of home). But agree that are rather Marmite & the ban would be for you, not baby. Baby may well dislike them, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now