Plus sizes from Shanghai? too good to be true?

(13 Posts)
hairtearing Tue 09-Apr-13 22:10:43

I'm looking at dresses and the ones in Shanghai etc seem to be absolutely gorgeous and also veeeery cheap hmm,

Is it too good to be true? I'm a bit suspect wondering if Eastern sizes are in general smaller than Uk sizes?

Or are they same ?

somedayma Tue 09-Apr-13 22:16:21

yabu. or yanbu, I don't know. what's the question?

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 09-Apr-13 22:16:28

Is this on ebay?

You can get some amazingly cheap clothes, but they can be very poor quality, too. There's also ethical concerns about how they are sold so cheap: the workers barely make enough to stay on the breadline in a lot of these factories.

I'd order using actual measurements rather than clothes sizes, as their sizes do tend to be smaller, and they aren't often labelled correctly. It's also tough to return things!

hairtearing Tue 09-Apr-13 22:19:05

Sorry If I wasn't clear, are the sizes most likely to be smaller than the uk.

I have no idea what my measurements are , don't even own a tape measure :/

hairtearing Tue 09-Apr-13 22:19:31

Yeah its ebay,

somedayma Tue 09-Apr-13 22:24:01

in that case, I still don't know! It's always risky buying online. And as mentioned, returns may be difficult. Email to ask for measurements?

somedayma Tue 09-Apr-13 22:24:41

And buy a tape measure! nick one from ikea

I've bought clothes for DD from China/Hong Kong - on ebay- and whilst they have been lovely, and incredibly good value for the price (I bought party "Princess" type dress and a gorgeous embroidered dress in a "Chinese Lady" style) they were VERY small fitting.
I think she was 8 and then 9 when I bought them (for Christmas each time) and I bought something like a 13 and a 14 years and they each just fitted her, and she was in normal 8-9 and 9-10 clothes from ordinary shops.
I would go for BIG.
The only exception is Holy Clothing (american company but their stuff is made in and despatched from India to order, so actually gets to the UK faster than it would to the USA) and their stuff tends to be generously cut and sized - a 4XL is about a 28-30 from Evans. Just watch out for their shipping people invoicing you for taxes after delivery - it can work out cheaper to order one or two things at a time rather than a larger parcel as they hit you for import duty and it's something like 20% iirc. Oh and they once (out of about 6 times) charged my card twice for the same order so keep an eye on them wink

hairtearing Wed 10-Apr-13 10:33:21

I thought they might be Pom, with people generally being smaller in China/the east.

The cheapness bothered me too, I saw a lovely one for 88 squid. shock

Maybe find one of those major sellers who have shedloads of stuff and order something cheap(ish) and that will let you judge their sizing?
Are you after something in particular?

starfishmummy Wed 10-Apr-13 23:49:06

I use Holy Clothing too and have been very pleased with the clothes

HollyBerryBush Wed 10-Apr-13 23:51:33

Chinese clothing is usually very good quality. Ebay opened up a new avenue for bespoke retail. Before ebay, tailors would come over and take over suites in hotels to conduct their business, measurements all faxed back to HK and bespoke suits delivered airmail 2 weeks later with tailor still in situ to make minor adjustments.

Ebay opened the door, but I suppose it can only be hoped you can measure yourself properly.

Several friends have had wedding dresses made at well under £100 that you would pay the thick end of £1,500 for if made in this country.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Wed 10-Apr-13 23:54:22

Although Chinese shops don't really sell plus sizes ( ie 16 plus) so likely that the ones you've seen have been created specially for a western market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now