Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want to kill colleague who says 'reach out' instead of 'contact'

(189 Posts)
Themobstersknife Tue 09-Apr-13 22:00:46

I know I am, but just back from mat leave, the bastard has done a land grab and now I want to kill him, especially when he says crap like this!

EffieTheDuck Tue 09-Apr-13 22:29:15

Is it used to make other people appear thick?

Ok, so don't kill him but do 'drop' tea on him. <not corporate speak>

Hissy Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:16

Don't think you need planning permission for a patio OP.

Just saying....

Themobstersknife Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:54

I think circling back means I will check this with you, or similar.

Stepissue Tue 09-Apr-13 22:30:56

you lot have 'bio breaks'?????

We have a lot of 'great jarrrrrbbbbb' when we've responded to an email. Love Americans :D

chandellina Tue 09-Apr-13 22:31:06

Yabu for complaining and then saying "land grab," unless you're farmers.

What the jeff is a land grab?

Stepissue Tue 09-Apr-13 22:32:27

Circle back is when one person at a meeting is told to take something offline and reach out to person x then circle back, ie come back to the rest of the group to enlighten them as to what person x contributed.

Themobstersknife Tue 09-Apr-13 22:33:46

Can totally see the irony of saying land grab in this context!
Kill me too!

lopopo Tue 09-Apr-13 22:37:33

Over

They reach out and you circle back. They email you and you reply...

I know...

echt Tue 09-Apr-13 22:37:50

Does land grab mean he's nicked some of your work while you were on ML?

Themobstersknife Tue 09-Apr-13 22:40:14

Yep. He has totally nicked my work and sucked arse along the way!

Charlesroi Tue 09-Apr-13 22:51:47

Don't think you need planning permission for a patio OP.

And shovels are relatively inexpensive (and untraceable, if purchased with cash)

I really, really hate these self-important, largely useless, wank-speaking bell ends. I once ende up in a team where the boss (although not mine) used to have mini team meetings next to my desk. One day I heard "we have to get our ducks in a row and pick the low-hanging fruit".
I shit you not. I'm afraid I openly chortled.
He was a man who used the carrot and stick method of motivation. Without the carrot. I didn't last long.

Kill.

OverAndAbove Tue 09-Apr-13 22:54:43

Ok, now I get it! And have will use it tomorrow, just o see how it goes down..... Thanks!

I'm asked to "reach out" to my colleagues and it makes me want to scream. I also hate the word "utilise" - I can't think of any circumstance when you couldn't say "use" instead.

Themobstersknife Tue 09-Apr-13 22:58:25

Ok, so am gonna kill. You lot said so! Just need to work out how!

NormaSpoonOeufEggcher Tue 09-Apr-13 23:01:54

I have to go to stand up meetings.

Nombrechanger Tue 09-Apr-13 23:27:46

My NY boss used to call me to "touch base" with me on a daily basis (usually as I was leaving for the day). She was a cunt.

EllenParsons Tue 09-Apr-13 23:36:06

My colleague always says touch base

Startail Tue 09-Apr-13 23:49:18

oh yes moving forward, our chair tends to say 'going forward' and it always makes me squirm. I've never known time go backwards.

Pity because we might have prevented the mess that has caused many long meetings.

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 23:55:13

I'm guilty of 'reaching out' and 'touching base'. Too long in Connecticut (we are only now moving btw!) has made me speak this way an I realise halfway through and want to kill myself. Maybe no one else cares though, seeing as they are in the USA too and therefore see it as normal? Please?

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 23:55:45

As on, we are only now moving away...

blueshoes Wed 10-Apr-13 00:26:23

I work for a US firm. Reaching out comes with the territory.

A mnetter previously described reaching out ala Kate Bush in the Wuthering Heights music video. I find it helpful to keep that mental picture in my head.

blueshoes Wed 10-Apr-13 00:27:42

How about when people sign off as "Best". Not Best Wishes, not Best Regards, just Best

What is that? Where does that come from?

Headofthehousehold Wed 10-Apr-13 00:36:42

I work for an American co here in the uk. I regularly reach out and circle back, my boss touches base with me and other associates (we are not employees) to ensure our ducks are in line and that we are working to win win scenarios. We identify low hanging fruit and make deal play books ! People sign off email as BR (best regards) and today I had one WR which was warm regards as the sender wrote it in full in a subsequent email where he obviously had a nano second longer to write the actual words.

HellonHeels Wed 10-Apr-13 00:38:09

I have a colleague who always wants us to "capture" things ie make a note of them. Usually used at a rate of around four or five "captures" per meeting. Makes me have very dark thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now