...not to buy my 5.5 ds either a wii/ds/game console...

(63 Posts)
Aliway Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:03

when it seems virtually every child in his peer group has one. It is all they seem to discuss Mario/skylanders etc... Thats it really :-)

thegreylady Wed 10-Apr-13 08:04:01

My dgs(aged 6) was given a dsi for Christmas (by his other dgp) he is allowed it for three half hours at the weekend and not at all on schooldays. There have been exceptions in the holidays eg. when he was ill and when an older cousin (aged 9) with a ds came to stay and they played together. I do agree that most dc (especially boys) seem to have the wretched things.

AcrylicPlexiglass Wed 10-Apr-13 08:17:50

I would say no no no and then buy him one for his 6th birthday and he will be over the moon.

All of you with infant age children saying no way on this thread will get a games console of some sort by the time they're 8, I bet! Sorry to be a swanky know-all but that's what happens. At 5 not every kid has one, though many do, especially those with older siblings. At 7/8 about 99.999% do.

It is kind of funny to read people being sniffy about video games. Seems a lot of people are still stuck on the popular view of gaming from about ten/fifteen years ago. The industry has had a severe shift since then, it's not only teen boys in their mothers basements shooting imaginary aliens anymore, you know.

OP, if you really don't like the idea of having a console, don't get one. It's up to you, you're the parent. And your son will be fine with or without one.
My family got our first console when I was about 5 (Sega Mega Drive!) and I wasn't that interested. Didn't really get into gaming until I was in my early teens. Kids that young don't really have the attention span for being on a console for long periods of time, IM(admittedly limited)E.

plentyofsoap Wed 10-Apr-13 08:43:35

My mil got my ds who is four a ds for xmas without discussion. He played with it for a short while then got bored and it has sat in drawer for the last few months untouched.

comfysofas Wed 10-Apr-13 08:49:46

We have all the consoles.

wii
xbox
playstation
ipods
ds things
vita

But do what you want to do only thing I will add is that the wii pre owned in the GAME shop is only about £35 and you can download bbc i player on it and NETFLIX. IPLAYER IS FREE NETFLIX £5.99 A MONTH.

I think it is worth it just to watch Dexter over and over again. :-)

plentyofsoap Wed 10-Apr-13 08:49:54

sorry pressed before I finished. We do have a wii which we can play together and he enjoys that, but its restricted and again the novelty has worn off, but he is only four. He is however far better on the wii than me though even when I do try.

pansyflimflam Wed 10-Apr-13 08:59:17

I seriously cannot see what different thing you can gain from gaming that cannot be learned in 'real life' iykwim. I agree that screen time is screen time too.... we restrict telly too we sound like bleeding miseries

The fact is a lot of people use them as childminders for hours and hours. I think for me it is just another thing to buy and be sold and then to upgrade and etc etc ad nauseum... I just cannot see the point.

comfysofas Wed 10-Apr-13 09:03:57

Using them as childminders.............. I cannot see that one.

You may give your child a book or paper and coloring pens, or indeed a building set and leave them alone for half and hour. What is the difference?

Usually I play with them I am amazing at need for speed. Yes it is another thing to buy but such is life.

nellyjelly Wed 10-Apr-13 09:08:15

It is just another toy. As long as they don't spend too much time on it.

smokinaces Wed 10-Apr-13 09:37:21

My ds are five and six and we have a Wii. They go through phases of loving it and ignoring it. They love skylanders, but play with the figures / read the books / play role play as them / get the t shirts as much as playing it. Same with sonic and Mario. They have very old ds and gameboys with the classic games, again they go through phases with them.

Right now the tv and Wii are off and they are running round playing superheroes. Combined with mummys and daddys by all accounts. They have a balance.

TigerSwallowtail Wed 10-Apr-13 09:46:38

Wii's are used in my sons ASD classroom during social skills classes.

chandellina Wed 10-Apr-13 20:07:55

I agree with everything Pansy has said.

Why would I buy anything that conditions my child to constant stimulation, shortens attention spans, and encourages isolation and social withdrawal? (ex wii interactive stuff, which has other issues for me)

Well done marketers for convincing so many parents that continual electronic media is a good thing for their children.

Squarepebbles Wed 10-Apr-13 20:37:50

Continual electronic media is down to parenting.

Re social isolation and withdrawal nah don't buy that either.My 3 spent all of yesterday morning in pjs reading Harry Potter separately in their beds until lunchtime.I find reading makes my 3 far more isolated going by the group play sessions they have with IPods making films,playing games together etc.

Re concentration don't buy that either.My do is a coder and spends all day in front of screens.You need a massive amount of concentration to code and he pays more attention to detail,concentrates more fully and is one of the most patient people I know. Ditto his kids who have more patience and concentration in many things eg learning to play the piano,games,coding than I have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now