...not to buy my 5.5 ds either a wii/ds/game console...

(63 Posts)
Aliway Tue 09-Apr-13 21:47:03

when it seems virtually every child in his peer group has one. It is all they seem to discuss Mario/skylanders etc... Thats it really :-)

Fakebook Tue 09-Apr-13 23:00:26

My dd is 5.5 and doesn't even know what a game console is I think. We do however have iPhones and an iPad and the laptop in the house on which she can play educational games or those stupid cake/cookie/candy floss making games.

Has your DS asked for one? I think there's nothing wrong with having computer games as long as you set a specific amount of time a day and stick to it.

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Tue 09-Apr-13 23:06:30

Lecce - are you saying your DS doesn't want one but you think he should to fit in? I really disagree, he will find his type of people. Your DS sounds very similar to my friend's DS, maybe they'd be great friends.

Better to be your true self than try to fit in.

kawliga Tue 09-Apr-13 23:13:16

I agree with Yellow, very well put.

My dd is 5.5 and does not have a wii/ds/console of any sort. None of her friends have them. On playdates they just play with normal toys or they run around chasing each other playing tag etc. They are young enough still to enjoy simple games, really! She plays with boys too, and they just pretend to do sword-fighting with sticks as far as I can see.

Adding to what Yellow said, you have to get into the right approach ready for when ds is a teenager and ALL hmm his friends seem to do things or go places that you don't agree with at all. If you can't resist it at age 5.5 what about when ds is 13? And then the stakes are much higher than a wii.

Not sure what a wii is by the way but I'm assuming it's affordable and harmless fun, when they're older they might be asking for things that you really don't agree with/can't afford. Start as you mean to continue!

kawliga Tue 09-Apr-13 23:19:16

Another thought, you could try taking ds to activities that you think he would like, and hopefully he will make luddite friends there and discover that there is so much fun to be had without expensive gadgets.

nokidshere Tue 09-Apr-13 23:28:51

We have pretty much everything - computers, ipad, ipods, x-box - we had a wii but they grow out of it and we sold it on.

I dont restrict my childrens use - they are good at self regulating and they would still rather be outside than in. No technology upstairs for anyone, everything is on view downstairs. Everything is 2nd hand - no need to pay full price for anything these days really.

They haven't turned into zombies or couch potatoes, they are friendly, sociable children with a wide range of interests.

I think the way a parent views this stuff makes a difference to how the children see it.

As for not knowing what a games console is??? The ipad, iphones and laptops are no different to any other console!

Unfettered internet access? Passwords and parental controls take care of that. It really is very simple to regulate.

kawliga Tue 09-Apr-13 23:35:41

The OP doesn't seem to be worried about regulating it, her ds turning into a couch potato, etc, she seems to be worried about her ds being left out because everyone else is playing with them! That's not a reason to put your child into any activity, the fact that all his friends seem to be doing it. That way all you're doing is showing your ds that giving in to peer pressure is the way forward. Getting a wii because you think it's fun is ok. Getting one because you're afraid ds will be left out and excluded by his friends is really not the way forward.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Tue 09-Apr-13 23:40:55

YANBU. It is your kid and you get to decide. smile. It shouldn't be an issue for you at all.

We have always had game consules. I had them before I had kids. We have them because we really enjoy them. I still play alongside my 20, 19 and 15 year old kids. It's great, we laugh and enjoy ourselves. It's relaxing and I honestly believe it helps us all get along.

We play sports together, go out together for meals and walks and generally do things 'naice' respectable families do but we all love our games consules.

It's not game consules that are the problem it is how you use and control them. I have always been in charge and I have always controlled what and when they play. I have never let them have inappropriate games and even now that two of them are 'adults' I still won't allow certain types of games in the house ( eg Grand Theft Auto).

kawliga Tue 09-Apr-13 23:48:50

We have them because we really enjoy them. I still play alongside my 20, 19 and 15 year old kids. It's great, we laugh and enjoy ourselves. It's relaxing and I honestly believe it helps us all get along.

This is a good reason to get a wii.

Feeling a bit down about it - took him to play at a friends place today with two other kids, they were talking non stop about games and he couldn't really join in they were correcting his 'mistakes' when he tried to join in. He started to cry ... I am a bit worried that this carries on at school.

This is not. OP, think about what message you're teaching if you get him this just to help him fit in with these rather nasty children. Like yellow we had no telly growing up, but friends who had them didn't laugh at us and make us cry, and if they had then going out to buy a telly would not be the right response from my parents.

StuntGirl Wed 10-Apr-13 00:30:58

Why don't you want him to have one? It's not a judgement - do you think he's too young for consoles, do you worry he'll get obsessed with it, is it unaffordable for your family, do you worry about internet access etc?

Aliway Wed 10-Apr-13 04:54:23

Kauliga- you make a very good point, I think the behaviour of the 2 other boys was in this instance was more the issue, it was an unpleasant experience that needs to be separated from our decision making as to whether we get a games console or not.
We are not luddites :-) we have tablet computers smart phones etc... I am not the worlds most computer literate person but am not the worst. We are not keen on buying games really because of the cost and the rampant consumerism that ensues... It has been very heartening to hear the very positive experiences that have really helped me put things more into perspective and not be reactive and buy a consule for the wrong reasons.

VestaCurry Wed 10-Apr-13 05:05:43

We have a wii, which we all use as a family. We have a mix of fun and educational games. Use is restricted, everything in moderation. We also have a family iPad because tv reception here means we get very few freeview channels, but are able to get them via an app on the iPad. We don't want to invest in a satellite dish as that will lead to non stop nagging for sky sports (dc's generally don't nag for things but this would lead to it as they are sports mad).

Mutley77 Wed 10-Apr-13 05:22:25

No yanbu it is clearly your choice, but I think you have to be open to what your child's interests are to some degree. If he and his friends do like games, what is the harm in buying him a games console of some kind as a birthday/Christmas present? Or getting a relative to do so?

coralanne Wed 10-Apr-13 05:45:27

My DN was 45 when she had her DD.

DD is now 4, 5 in September and they don't have any kind of game consoles in the house.

It has never crossed their minds to buy them and DD has never asked for them.

DN is a pharmacist and is completely computer literate but as far as she's concerned, it is a work thing not a home thing.

The DD has swimming lessions, dance lessons and the family travel overseas on a regular basis. She is a very intelligent child and has made an amazing castle using different sized cylinders and paper mache.

On the turrents of the castle she has placed amazing little sparkling rings she made herself.

Took her about 3 weeks to make.

I think she is too busy with other things to even think about playing computer games.

Crawling Wed 10-Apr-13 06:08:18

Mine has a wii and a ds age 7 wii is more used and skylanders is the best game ever.

Ds has also learnt to read the best in his class as I let him play harder games that involve alot of reading. Making reading fun.

Crawling Wed 10-Apr-13 06:09:59

Oh and allway you can buy pre owned games from GAME for as little as a fiver.

JumpingJackSprat Wed 10-Apr-13 07:11:45

Children playing creatively, reading, dressing up, playing sword fights etc is not mutually exclusive with them playing the wii. my dss does both and hus hand eye co-ordination, problem solving skills and ability to co-operate to solve puzzles has improved no end. he has a wii and a ds and he prefers the wii as we can play with him.

Mutley77 Wed 10-Apr-13 07:15:23

coralanne Your DN's DD sounds a lot like my daughter. She did get a DS at age 5 and she is still exactly the same, just plays computer games every now and then in addition to her other varied interests.

pansyflimflam Wed 10-Apr-13 07:29:07

YANBU I wish more people would just buck the trend and not bother with these things. For children of this age they have nothing to add to their play that could not be found through other sorts of play. Children are not growing up with superior skills because of these games. Half the time I think people buy them because everyone else has them and no one wants to be the odd one out. I have 5 children from 12 to 1 and no one here has even asked for one - we are not Luddites but we do really restrict screen time on a laptop for the two elder children because seriously I cannot see what it adds. Having a 9 year old DD with some spectrummy learning probelms my feeling is if she were playing games, being online or even using a oI am afraid my own Welsh is very poor but if you would like to ask any questions, we do have a interpretor here today phone too often she would never speak to us!!! My older DD is 12 and it is just not her thing, she soends v. minimal time on her phine even, she is outdoorsy and chatty and calls her friends on the phone to talk rather than text.

We are not the norm amongst our friends but the prevailing feeling anecdotally is that they don't want their children to 'miss out' because everyone has them...... what a poor excuse for decison making. Also I think the perception is that when children are engrossed in games they are being 'good' - I have heard this a lot. A school Mum I know says this all the time (when her 13 yr old ds is playing 18 cert games in his bedroom for hours) 'oh well at least he is not out trouble making/annoying me/filling house up with smelly teenaged boys' These things make children and teenagers easier to manage....... and that is why we like them. In real terms they have nothing to add.

pansyflimflam Wed 10-Apr-13 07:30:49

Ignore the welsh bit! paste has a mind of its own apparently!!!! So sorry

Whatalotofpiffle Wed 10-Apr-13 07:32:41

No! Go with your gut... I look after a little boy who is 6 and he is obsessed with sky landers to the point that he is losing friends as he can talk about nothing else

pansyflimflam Wed 10-Apr-13 07:36:17

And... I really resent the 'playing Wii brings the family together' bullshit advertising. It is insidious in the extreme but I think a lot of people believe it.

Squarepebbles Wed 10-Apr-13 07:42:44

6/7 was the cut off for us.

Then we restricted.

Now they are 9,9 and 8 we have just started them earning an hour of allscreen time per day by doing an hour of homework.Tis working a treat so far.

If they choose Raspberry Pi,IPod,DS or laptop for their hour they don't get TV on top.

Screens are screens,I don't think you can get sniffy over one and not the other.

Sorry disagree with Pansy you can get a lot out them if you handle them right and don't use them as babysitters for hours and hours.I don't tend to do that with anything re my dc so screens aren't any different.

Squarepebbles Wed 10-Apr-13 07:48:59

Oh and this holiday my dc have spent each morning reading Harry Potter for hours in bed,have turned my house into Hogwarts,payed outside for hours every day with friends riding bikes,inventing various ball games,hide and seek etc,gone to the museum,gone to the library,hiked across the moor and dtwin2 has completed his 100th book for the library challenge.,looked after various animals,played with Sylvanians,made bug houses.........

They have also done an hour of school work a day and had an hour of screentime a day.

The dtwins have started coding and found a new app where you make films then blow them up!grin

Cherriesarelovely Wed 10-Apr-13 07:51:21

I am pretty luddite ish as it goes and think that kids ought to be doing simpler, less screen based activities. However, Dd got a Ds when she was 7 and enjoyed it.....didn't play on it much though. Now at 10 she has a kindle fire. Being a bit dense I didn't realise this connected to the internet so that takes alot more supervision and I slightly regret agreeing to it (Dps idea). However, Dd gets huge amount of enjoyment from it and it has improved her reading no end.

We once borrowed a wii over Christmas and that was brillliant family fun. Definitely would consider getting something like that sometime. In summary, I don't think kids need stuff likethis but I think, in moderation they can be fun. Entirely up to you and your Ds though.

Squarepebbles Wed 10-Apr-13 07:54:23

At the end if the day it is how you parent.

If I had the money I'd get a Wii or XBox Connect thingy with no hand sets- fab for play dates(more can play)and family time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now