Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think a funeral procession is no place for protests

(344 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:17:15

Apparently the Met are fearing a security nightmare when Thatcher's funeral takes place. Protests along the way.

No matter what you thought of her, I don't think a funeral procession is an appropriate place for a protest.

It's not the specific cost that bothers me its the fact they are willing to pay for it at all. Why does she even deserve a ceremonial funeral. She was hated. I have never encountered anyone who loved her.

Considering how short on money the country is, especially those who would have been her victims, I think it's horrendous and neither she or her family deserve any special treatment.

Bunbaker Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:14

"Considering its Margaret Thatcher, I think it's completely justified and warranted and I would actively participate."

I wasn't a fan of MT either, but I would still find that distasteful, disrespectful and beneath contempt. It also says more about the type of person you are than about Margaret Thatcher.

If you want to protest at the use of public funds for her funeral (which I also think is wrong) then protest to the government. They made that decision.

landofsoapandglory Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:23

I personally don't think any previous PM should be given a public funeral. I think they have had their time in office, they did their bit for the country, they didn't please all of us, got it right and wrong, and were either voted out or resigned. That should be the end of it.

I would hate Cameron, Brown or Blair to have a public funeral, and can understand why people don't want the money spent on Lady Thatcher's. I still think it would be wrong to protest at the funeral.

Bunbaker Tue 09-Apr-13 20:37:19

Incidentally, I live in South Yorkshire and was amazed to hear on radio Sheffield today how many supporters she has in this area.

flangledoodle Tue 09-Apr-13 20:38:41

People love to point out she was democratically elected. Well for those who are so happy to celebrate all that is good about democracy and freedom of speech it is our right to voice our feelings about this woman as our money is spent on this funeral.

PeaceandFUCKINGLove Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:08

YABU. The public are paying so we can protest at it if we choose.

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:11

Was it a local BBC station by any chance?

Jinsei Tue 09-Apr-13 20:39:35

I hated Thatcher and won't be shedding any tears on her passing. However, I agree that it's inappropriate to protest at her funeral as this will only hurt the friends and family she left behind. Sadly, I think the decision to give her a big ceremonial funeral has probably made the protests inevitable. It would have been much better to have let her loved ones say their farewells at a quieter private ceremony.

I really don't feel that a publicly funded funeral is appropriate for such a divisive figure. It is almost asking for trouble.

HollyBerryBush Tue 09-Apr-13 20:40:46

I saw this today.... and it was an angle I never thought of before.

"Thankyou Maggie Thatcher, for catalyzing the return of democracy in Argentina," wrote Andres Wolberg-Stok, who covered the war for the Buenos Aires Herald as a young reporter 31 years ago, on his Facebook account.

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:42:48

I'm sure it will be of no surprise to her friends and family that she divided opinion.

I couldn't care less what you think that says about me Bunbaker, my youth was the Tatcher years, and she made parts of it bloody horrible for me and horrendous for my parents. She caused misery for millions, she doesn't deserve a wonderful funeral.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 20:49:13

Yes, it is paid for buy the public, the public can protest if the choose to do so and I would defend that right wholeheartedly.

It doesn't say much about the manners, morals or intelligence of our public if they choose to exercise their rights at a funeral though. What went on last night makes me ashamed of my fellow British citizens. It's very sad.

Yes, it is paid for buy the public, the public can protest if the choose to do so and I would defend that right wholeheartedly.

It doesn't say much about the manners, morals or intelligence of our public if they choose to exercise their rights at a funeral though. What went on last night makes me ashamed of my fellow British citizens. It's very sad.

I couldn't agree more, CloudsAndTrees.

Growlithe Tue 09-Apr-13 20:51:50

If I were her family I'd be desperate for the funeral not to be a public one, for this very reason. I wouldn't want any whiff of trouble at my mother's funeral. It doesn't have to be, she doesn't belong to the state.

And yet they are allowing it. Why?

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:52:19

What part of doing so would be indicative of intelligence?

halcyondays Tue 09-Apr-13 20:59:04

Yes, but I also think they should give Maggie a small, private funeral, instead of spending a huge amount of taxpayer's money on it. I think it is totally inappropriate for someone so controversial. It's bound to turn the whole thing into a circus, which is hardly going to be of any comfort to her family.

DolomitesDonkey Tue 09-Apr-13 21:01:01

YANBU. But look at it this way, all these ghastly people are outing themselves as fools - it'll save you effort doing it for them.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 09-Apr-13 21:03:24

So would all the protesters be really vile then?

hwjm1945 Tue 09-Apr-13 21:03:57

I dislike what seems to me to be mindless dislike and parrotting of opinions by many who know very little about what Thatcher did and its overall effects in the context of the time.....however I am surprised at the state funeral.I think the last PM to have one was Churchill, as the wartime PM this would have been understandable.do not understand why she is being accorded this and frankly would not be surprised were there to be protests at such a public event.

JakeBullet Tue 09-Apr-13 21:08:07

YANBU...no place for protests at all.

JakeBullet Tue 09-Apr-13 21:10:22

It's not a full state funeral though is it? It's a ceremonial funeral similar to Princess Diana and the Queen Mother.

I have no issue with it tbh, she was an iconic figure, the first female PM and I think her death needs official notice. Definitely not the event for protests.

flippinada Tue 09-Apr-13 21:14:29

A public funeral costing millions is completely inappropriate for such a divisive figure.

It's not as if the family can't afford to pay for one.

I wouldn't protest at a funeral and think it distasteful but under the circumstances I can understand the motivation for doing so.

herethereandeverywhere Tue 09-Apr-13 21:16:17

I have a couple of questions:

1) What % of the £8m is being funded by the taxpayer?
2) What else could £xm of public money buy? In terms of eg: additional midwives, support for disabled people, support of those living beneath the poverty line, community services such as day centres and libraries?

I don't want to shout, throw things and wave placards at Thatcher's funeral. I do want to register my disgust that she is being given such a "special" send off. Not all prime ministers get this, so why her? Why, especially at times when we are continuously being told to suck up cuts and increases in the cost of living because "we're all in this together"?

Any ideas how/where I'd find the info. about the cost of certain things paid for out of the public purse?

ifancyashandy Tue 09-Apr-13 21:17:41

Spend public money and expect a public reaction.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Tue 09-Apr-13 21:18:16

I am no Thatcher fan, but the thought of protesting at a funeral is mind-boggling to me.

Petty doesn't even begin to describe it. Which is deeply unfortunate, because the impact she had on some communities was the antithesis of 'petty'.

But, the lower moral ground is there for the taking, and it seems that there will be plenty of people seizing it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now