to think a funeral procession is no place for protests

(344 Posts)
kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:17:15

Apparently the Met are fearing a security nightmare when Thatcher's funeral takes place. Protests along the way.

No matter what you thought of her, I don't think a funeral procession is an appropriate place for a protest.

landofsoapandglory Tue 09-Apr-13 20:19:22

I agree with you.

I did say to DS1(18) yesterday that I thought there would be protests at the funeral. I think it is hugely disrespectful TBH.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 09-Apr-13 20:20:26

Totally agree.
Just shows what sort of people they are.

FacebookWanker Tue 09-Apr-13 20:21:00

Totally agree.

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:21:24

If she's being laid to rest publicly, using public money then the whole thing runs the risk of pissing the public off.

BumpingFuglies Tue 09-Apr-13 20:21:53

Totally agree. But just wait till the haterz get here...

Depends on the individual funeral. Considering its Margaret Thatcher, I think it's completely justified and warranted and I would actively participate.

SarahAndFuck Tue 09-Apr-13 20:23:02

What would people be protesting about?

Something that she did in the 80's (bit late now) or something happening now which she has no involved in as she hasn't been in power for years (bit pointless)?

I am no fan of Margaret Thatcher but I really don't see what people would gain from a protest at her funeral. Genuinely, I don't see what people would gain.

Makes them no better than that Westboro lot.

delboysfileofax Tue 09-Apr-13 20:23:12

Make it a private funeral then. Job done

CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 20:24:09

You'd think it was obvious wouldn't you? People that can even contemplate demonstrating at a funeral are scum, and really need to get themselves a life.

flangledoodle Tue 09-Apr-13 20:24:38

If you spend public money on a ceremonial service during a recession on a deeply devisive figure, what do you expect??

Sarah, I imagine the fact that she is giving a ceremonial funeral, with public funds.

HollyBerryBush Tue 09-Apr-13 20:25:20

You know what I thought was really sad? She won't be with Dennis and they were devoted to each other.

Finola1step Tue 09-Apr-13 20:25:58

Why protest now? It's a bit late. If people want to protest at the current government, then go right on ahead. But not at someone's funeral.

kim147 Tue 09-Apr-13 20:27:01

I just think protests at a funeral are wrong.

flangledoodle Tue 09-Apr-13 20:27:11

I woiudn't say a protest, more of a celebration.

CloudsAndTrees Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:08

Apparently people would be protesting about the ceremonial funeral and the money that was being spent.

Except by the time the funeral is happening, it's a bit late to bother voicing your opinion about it. And if you're worried about the cost, you really shouldn't be contributing to that by going to protest.

Just shows how thick some people really are.

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:25

So why is she getting cremated after a ceremonial service when her wishes were apparently a private funeral and buried next to Dennis?

libertyflip Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:27

She is gone, her children are alive. Funerals are for the grieving, any protests are beneath contempt in my opinion.

SarahAndFuck Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:47

Then protest elsewhere, before the funeral, to try and stop those public funds being spent.

It's all a bit late during the funeral, because it's happening by then, and even more public funds are also being spent on managing and policing the protests.

ChristmasJubilee Tue 09-Apr-13 20:29:17

I don't agree with protests but the £8 million it's costing should be coming out of her estate not partly funded by the tax payer.

fluffypillow Tue 09-Apr-13 20:30:14

Agree with paradisechick .

I don't think people should protest, but she was a person that just as many people hated as loved.

Personally I thought she was a nasty woman who only cared about the rich, and trampled on the working class.

They are asking for trouble having such a public funeral.

Spending millions of pounds on a funeral at the monent is disgusting, especially when many, many people feel that she destroyed this country. They shouldn't be rubbing peoples noses in it.

They family should pay for her send off, not us.

YABVU

PetiteRaleuse Tue 09-Apr-13 20:31:16

I think given the context she should have a private funeral. Lots of people justifiably love her, but many others have perfectly valid reasons for hating what she did and what she stood for. I personally wouldn't protest at her funeral but maybe that's because my life wasn't as affected by her as others. I do think that spending masses if public money on it at a time when people are still suffering from what she and her government did is very distasteful.

ParadiseChick Tue 09-Apr-13 20:32:34

If it was a family occasion done without fuss, as the family wish then fine.

She's been given a hero's send off, one we've not seen since the queen mum and Diana. She was not a hero to many, many people.

Giving her this send of implies everyone thinks she was worthy of it. Not in my name.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now