to expect DH to take DD (4 months) to the supermarket for an hour?

(49 Posts)
GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 14:39:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 15:56:56

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 15:57:58

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 15:59:22

YANBU at all!

DP gets handed DS3 most days after work, he's a difficult baby and I'm having a hard time in general atm.
Your DP needs to start stepping up and acting like a parent and part of a team.

foreverondiet Tue 09-Apr-13 16:06:29

Taking a step back - why did he go to the supermarket - was it essential trip (ie no food in house) or did he just fancy going?

If the later then he was being very selfish.

I think though that its about management of expectations - he probably was thinking about his supermarket trip for several hours and was v pissed of when his expectations weren't managed.

Next time you have a bad night, tell him during the day that when he comes home you need a sleep so he is looking after DD - and he is welcome to do this in the house or elsewhere.

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 16:11:14

fallon8 Tue 09-Apr-13 16:16:27

Could it be the baby is not well or isn't get enough out of breast milk? If you manage to sort out the baby first,that would be a start

showtunesgirl Tue 09-Apr-13 16:39:19

fallon8 perpetuating rumours about babies not getting enough of breastmilk really isn't going to help. hmm

It is perfectly normal for four month olds to go through feeding spurts and for their sleep to go a bit wonky.

If the baby is gaining weight ok, that's the main thing. Yes by all means get things checked out regarding possible reflux etc but saying that BM may not be enough is not helpful.

The baby is getting enough milk Fallon8 - it's a well-known time for sleep to be disrupted due to yet another growth spurt (mainly mental rather than physical) - it is certainly not the time to be talking about not getting enough milk.

Gizza - don't worry about routines. Just make sure the baby is changed for bed and get there yourself. smile

(FWIW, DD has a bath about twice a month because she has eczema and can't be bathed very often. It hasn't killed her and she doesn't smell. My point being that a heck of a lot of stuff isn't necessary. just get yourselves to bed)

Dh always loved taking our dses to the supermarket when they were little babies - he got so much attention because he was a Man out with a baby.

foreverondiet Tue 09-Apr-13 17:07:04

re: feeding, I think needing to be fed 6 times in the night could indicate that the baby is hungry. It might not be that - but its certainly needs to be considered. Its appropriate to mention it.

I say this as my DS1 did the same (feeding hourly in the night) - everyone on here said "growth spurt" and "4 month sleep regression" - but after a three weeks I was exhausted.

I filled up a bottle with 5oz and he drank the lot, and then he drank most of another 5oz bottle immediately after (so around 9oz of milk) and then he slept for over 6 hours. Another bottle and he slept until the morning. This was a baby who had never been offered a bottle before - so can only conclude that he was starving and I had low milk supply in the evening so he just wasn't getting enough to go more than an hour or so.

I am very pro breastfeeding but can only function with a certain amount of sleep! FWIW - DD and DS2 both also went through 4 month sleep regression but for them that meant going back to waking every 3 hours like they did a newborns - and it only last a couple of weeks.

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 17:08:35

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 17:10:45

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Tue 09-Apr-13 17:18:52

YANBU

Your husband needs to be stepping up a lot more.

I can probably guess the answer to this, but does he change any of her nappies? He really could be doing all the nappies when he isn't working, as well as giving you at least an hour off active duty each day.

I sympathise with the 4 month sleep regression. My baby is now 7 months and I don't know how we got through 3 weeks of round the clock feeding and little sleep, but we did. It will get better! Just do the absolute bare minimum housework wise until you have good nights again. If DH complains, the solution is for him to pull his finger out and do his share of parenting.

StinkyElfCheese Tue 09-Apr-13 17:21:29

I made dh take dd was 2.8 and new born twins to Tesco I simply needed 1/2 hour alone they all came back pretty much ok smile

He may be very worried frightened about taking little one out on his own but as I said like everything else it gets easier the more you practise smile

You have to just feed the baby constantly if that happens!
God, DD went about 3 months having to feed several times in the night! (but conversely, she spent a while only having 2 or 3 feeds in the day)

1: just because you gave him a bottle and he drained it does not mean that he needed a bottle. bottles are easier to get liquid out of. if he was feeding like that and then gulping down a bottle, maybe you should look at your latch or positioning, or even whether you're giving him chance to feed properly. or tongue-tie.
2: BF babies are supposed to feed more often and wake more often. They are programmed to take what they need and then go back for more later on. It's Natural and Normal and doesn't mean they are starving or going hungry or that your supply is low.
3: formula doesn't necessarily make your baby sleep. it's also a lot harder to digest than Breast milk, which means actually, your baby is trying to digest it rather than it suddenly filling him up for 6 hours ready to sleep.

This isn't a thread about whether or not her baby is starving or hungry or should be bottle in stead of breast fed.
this is exactly the reason why breastfeeding is undermined and ruined during growth spurts when actually, the likelihood is that the baby and mother are doing everything right and just responding to the baby's natural feeding patterns.

there is a growth spurt/sleep regression at 4 months babies feed like it;s going out of fashion for a while, then it goes back to normal.
That's what's supposed to happen.

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 17:24:11

and I say this as someone who has always had a baby that feeds through the night (really, not just oh, waking up every 4 hours, but every 2 hours every night for months on end) - she has always been a healthy, thriving baby, she just eats little and often.

and why not - babies cannot be programmed.

sorry, x-posts

carabos Tue 09-Apr-13 17:29:44

My BiL took his DS2 to the supermarket on the day he was born (home birth). hmm

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Tue 09-Apr-13 17:30:51

Glad to hear that Gizza! There is hope for him then.

Could you arrange a time slot for him to take her out daily while he gets used to it? Maybe 30 mins to begin with, building up to an hour? Perhaps having it scheduled into his day in advance would help as he builds his confidence up.

GizzaCwtch Tue 09-Apr-13 17:35:12

Hopefully the more time he spends with her, the more confident he will get, and the more he will enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now