To be annoyed at people with no children taking up the mother and baby spaces

(109 Posts)
AGivenNickname Tue 09-Apr-13 12:12:37

I popped to the local supermarket this morning to do a small shop with my DS2 (19 months). I was just about to park in a mum and baby space when some arsehole in a fiesta came around the opposite way and took it.

The bastard was on his own with no children or any sign of car seats. It may sound petty but it really winds me up when people do it - including friends of mine.

One friend often goes off shopping with a 21-year-old daughter and parks in them. Her reasoning is that her 21-year-old is and always will be her 'baby' so she has every right to use it.

It's to do with the space in between the cars, rather than how close they are to the shop.

When I was 9 months pregnant, several times I had to either get OH to re-park the car, or clamber over to his side to get out, because I couldn't open the door wide enough.

We once had to lift the baby's car seat over the back seat into the boot to get it out of the car, because there were no P&C spaces. A couple of times we had to take him out of the car seat when we didn't want to because the only way to get his seat out was to turn it upside down because we couldn't open the door wide enough. Thankfully there was two of us (one to hold the baby, the other to fight with the car seat).

Floggingmolly Tue 09-Apr-13 15:39:05

Does she still bring the 21 year old to baby groups too?

infamouspoo Tue 09-Apr-13 15:54:47

really hate the term 'mental case'. Just saying.

crashdoll Tue 09-Apr-13 16:00:23

S'ok, all is forgiven infamouspoo, mostly because of your epic username. grin

infamouspoo Tue 09-Apr-13 16:02:20

grin

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 16:20:38

My oh has been known to block people in when they have parked in mum amd baby spaces - not that Id have the nerve. Quote

If he tried something stupid like that in my local shopping centre he'd be paged pretty damned quick to come and move his car.

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 16:25:32

I really wish some parents could get it into their heads that these spaces are a concession by the supermarket - they are not some kind of 'right' or 'entitlement'. Pratts who think it's okay to block people in, or loudly berate people for parking in them, or think other shoppers should simply go home if the only spaces available are P&C spaces and they don't have a child with them, really need to cop themselves on.

I will leave them free when possible, but I don't treat them with the same absolute respect that I would treat a disabled space. They're a perk but they're not an entitlement

I agree, I used one yesterday for the first time in years and had left the DCs at home. DH is on crutches and can't hobble far. I wouldn't dream of using a blue badge space but felt quite justified in using a P&C one, (he is being pretty child-like ATM!).

SquirrelNuts Tue 09-Apr-13 16:49:52

They may not be an entitlement but they do make it a lot easier when you have babies and small children, my local tesco used to have them right out of the way so people didn't use them just because they were close to the door/ cash machine, we always got a space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now