To be annoyed at people with no children taking up the mother and baby spaces

(109 Posts)
AGivenNickname Tue 09-Apr-13 12:12:37

I popped to the local supermarket this morning to do a small shop with my DS2 (19 months). I was just about to park in a mum and baby space when some arsehole in a fiesta came around the opposite way and took it.

The bastard was on his own with no children or any sign of car seats. It may sound petty but it really winds me up when people do it - including friends of mine.

One friend often goes off shopping with a 21-year-old daughter and parks in them. Her reasoning is that her 21-year-old is and always will be her 'baby' so she has every right to use it.

Caitycat Tue 09-Apr-13 12:44:53

I am thrilled to see that there is actually some support for the op today! People seem to finally be realising that just because they're not legally enforcable, not as important as disabled bays and possible to live without they are still very useful and make life much easier for those of us who have made the life choice to have children. YANBU OP, they are there for a reason and it is rude and thoughtless of people to use them if they don't have young children.

infamouspoo Tue 09-Apr-13 12:45:58

fab. I was going to have to do some housework. Now I dont grin

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 12:46:47

Ah..happy DH's Avondale, my two are a lot older than babies now, but having to find trolleys with two seats was a nightmare, one sear was easy but one seat isn't enough with twins. Although I have never seen a three seated trolley or whatever, so I think I had it a bit easier than triplets!

dingit Tue 09-Apr-13 12:46:52

damn this thread. i now really fancy lemon drizzle cake. will have to settle for lemon fondant fancy that has 100 cals.

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 12:53:24

They're just a marketing device by supermarkets who want to attract the custom of young families who spend lots of money on groceries, disposable nappies etc.

I don't think I've ever seen P&T spaces in hospital car parks, or public libraries or hotels and yet parents seem to manage just fine.

dropdeaddivalover Tue 09-Apr-13 12:54:57

What annoys me more is when all the disabled spaces are taken and u have to park in parent and child.

Whilst reversing into parent and child another car comes along and squeezes his car into the space aswell so that you look like the inconsiderate arsehole trying to take their space.

And yes I did have a toddler who is SN and who has badge. Other car also had kids and it was pouring with rain!

Wishihadabs Tue 09-Apr-13 12:57:19

Don't usually venture onto these threads. I only learnt to drive once mine were 6&3 so never really used them myself. Didn't the regulations around car seats used to be a lot more relaxed ? So getting your six children out of the car was less of a performance than it is now? Also I think cars are bigger generally and bigger cars are more likely to be driven by parents, so need more space ?

LovePickles Tue 09-Apr-13 12:57:46

People complaining about p+c spaces, because they managed without them, are like knitters who complain about crocheters, or people who prefer records to mp3s. They think they are doing 'it' right and you're doing it wrong. Must be very unhappy people. They have to stick to their own strict principles, except, I bet the take advantage of little perks when they can. Shhhh...

<Lemon drizzle please. A large slice. wink>

To be honest, I am much more concerned about this horrendously sexist supermarket! How dare they have designated spaces for 'Mothers and babies.' shock (This is definitely a new development for P&C controversy.)

Seriously, where do the fathers park? I need to start a campaign IMMEDIATELY!

<obviously, after I have finished this cake>

AGivenNickname Tue 09-Apr-13 13:06:56

Haha! Yes you do, how terribly sexist of me! In my defence I did correct myself and use parent in later posts wink

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 13:07:52

"They are like knitters who complain about crocheters".

??? confused

MrsMelons Tue 09-Apr-13 13:09:58

There's nothing wrong with using them to make life easier but of course everyone should be repectful and mindful of people that really need them ie if all disabled spaces are full.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 09-Apr-13 13:10:59

I park in P&C spots. I even parked in one whilst driving a Fiesta.

I draw the line at disabled bays, that's a definite no-no. I do however use disabled toilets.

Shoot me.

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 13:11:31

I agree MrsMelons. It also really really annoys me when people begrudge an elderly person parking in them.

Parent and child places are not needed like disabled spaces are. Gods sake more people could do with the walking exercise!

Park as far away from everybody else as you can and then you can open your doors as wide as you like!

My mother is disabled and I'm sick and tired of able bodied people claiming to need to park right outside the bloody door just because they're lazy!

MrsMelons Tue 09-Apr-13 13:34:55

Fairy I haven't seen anyone on this thread claiming to need to park outside a shop if they are able bodied. Just complaining that able bodied adults with no children parking in spaces not meant for them because they are lazy and rude.

Car parks still only have the same sized spaces wherever you park so what use is parking away from everyone else in a full car park in the middle of a city. The spaces are tiny.

BTW by DCS are 5 and 7 so no need for them now of course but I just feel that people get an unfair battering on these threads.

Gorjuss Tue 09-Apr-13 13:45:00

Wide spaces ARE needed. How are you meant to get a baby seat back in if someone's parked too close. Put them on the floor whilst you reverse out ??? Nobody should ever park in a child space without a young child or a disabled space without a badge. Some people have no consideration for others at all.

arabesque Tue 09-Apr-13 13:49:43

I don't agree Gorjuss. If an elderly person who is not disabled enough to merit a blue badge but finds it difficult to walk too far was to park in one of these spaces I would have no issue with it. Likewise someone who is recovering from an operation. There are lots of people who could benefit from a space by the door and aren't just being lazy and inconsiderate.
Likewise, I drove around my local shopping centre car park several times one recent rainy afternoon looking for parking (with my elderly mother in the car). Eventually, someone pulled out of a space and we thought 'great', then realised it was a P&C space. We parked in it. What were we supposed to do? Drive home without our shopping in case a mum with a baby arrived in a few minutes later?

Sorry, I will leave them free when possible, but I don't treat them with the same absolute respect that I would treat a disabled space. They're a perk but they're not an entitlement.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Tue 09-Apr-13 13:52:07

I don't treat them with the same absolute respect that I would treat a disabled space. They're a perk but they're not an entitlement...

Totally agree

crashdoll Tue 09-Apr-13 14:07:51

Not totally relevant but having just been through a rigorous process to get a blue badge (I filled in a complex form, had a phone assessment and then had a walking assessment and another bloody assessment), I can see why less able bodied people might use these spaces if they've been denied a badge. However, I feel too guilty to use the P&C places in Tesco in case I get accosted by an angry parent. <prays badge arrives soon>

AGivenNickname Tue 09-Apr-13 14:08:06

Can I just point out that when I started this thread it wasn't a rant on about the elderly, pregnant and disabled taking up the spaces. It's aimed at lazy bastards who have no consideration when they see someone patiently waiting for the space but get in there quick because they can't be arsed to walk the extra.

Gorjuss Tue 09-Apr-13 14:10:18

What I'm saying is able bodied people park in these spaces with no consideration as I've said earlier I think wider mother and baby spaces don't need to be close to the entrance that would stop the problem of them taking spaces for people who can't walk as far and lazy people using them up. I have no problem with elderly or disabled using parent and child if the disabled are all taken.

TomArchersSausage Tue 09-Apr-13 14:13:35

We need a Parking topic.

crashdoll Tue 09-Apr-13 14:17:21

Unfortunately, your x-ray vision cannot tell that I have an invisible disability.

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 09-Apr-13 14:20:53

Can I be first to shoot hohoho please?

Stop using disabled toilets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now