AIBU to make my son go to swimming lessons on his birthday?

(34 Posts)
ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 11:11:43

His brithday is in the school holidays and he is booked on a 'swimming crash course' (every morning for a week).
This course was part of a deal we did with the boys to stop weekly swimming lessons which were becoming a painful chore.

He is turining 6.
He doesn't hate swimming, but doesn't love it either.
He things it is mean and unfair to be made to go swimming on his birthday.

These lessons are not cheap. And for once they have a great teacher and are making really good progress.
We'll be done at the pool by 9.30 and will spend the rest of the day doing fun stuff.

Cast your votes now....

piratecat Tue 09-Apr-13 17:49:53

just me then wink

yay

YABU! What kind of mother are you? Poor kid sad. Some people...sheesh.

wink

whois Tue 09-Apr-13 16:32:48

Of course he should go!

Leaning to swim is a vital skill, and its not even like he hates it. Good lesson in doing things for the best, even though you might not want to do them at the time.

My mum made me come back from centre parcs, on my birthday, on a Saturday, to sit an entrance exam to a school we both knew I wasn't going to go to (the super selective secondary part of my primary). Something about nice to prove to yourself you could have gone if you wanted.

sherazade Tue 09-Apr-13 14:57:15

i can relate to this. But i'd make him go because if you don't it might feed into his way of thinking that swimming is a dreadful chore.

LayMizzRarb Tue 09-Apr-13 14:48:19

I would brush any protestation away very quickly and move on to the next subject without drawing breath. "I don't want to go on my birthday" "we're going. What would you lik to do for supper on your birthday?"

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 14:20:42

good idea about telling the teacher BTW. thanks.

Needingthework Tue 09-Apr-13 14:20:01

DS3 went on his birthday a few weeks back. He had also been to school that day.
Luckily for him, because it was the last lesson of the term, it was a fun session grin.

mrsjay Tue 09-Apr-13 14:19:29

OH i misread i thought he didnt like it at all not just because it was his birthday I think a few of us read it the same way smile

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 14:17:23

thanks all.

I have no idea why some posters are jumping to the conclusion that he hates it. As I said in my OP he really doesn't hate swimming, in fact he usually enjoys it once he is there. He is just a bit grumpy about not being allowed to choose absolutely everything that he does on his birthday. smile

thermalsinapril Tue 09-Apr-13 14:15:47

YANBU

CSIJanner Tue 09-Apr-13 14:14:24

YANBU - make him swim

Think of it as a lesson in life and when he's older, God forbid he'll have to work on his birthday.

almapudden Tue 09-Apr-13 14:12:19

He should go. It's only an hour out of the morning, and you can spend the whole of the rest of the day having fun.

HotSoupDumpling Tue 09-Apr-13 14:11:51

Wha? I once was made to do a practice exam paper on my birthday. It's great for your son to learn to enjoy the little things in life - a nice birthday meal, a cake etc - and not be taught that he always has to be 'princess/prince for the entire day'! YANBU

shewhowines Tue 09-Apr-13 14:09:09

YANBU

mrsjay Tue 09-Apr-13 14:03:39

yanbu and mean but tbh he sounds like he hates it but he has to go it is paid for and so happens to fall on his birthday it is no biggie really an hour out of his day I wouldn't force anymore lessons on him after this block runs out,

Aniseeda Tue 09-Apr-13 13:58:31

I would probably have let him skive off a weekly lesson (I hated the whole sweaty crush in the changing room, sitting in a hot cafe/balcony with other people's toddlers rampaging around so wouldn't have needed much persuasion to take a week off myself!) but as you came to the agreement to stop weekly lessons and do this instead then, yes, he should go, get it done, and then enjoy the rest of his day.

piratecat Tue 09-Apr-13 12:40:51

won't they be doing swimming at school, why the need to force him to swim with this intensive course.

I wouldn't expect my kiddy to go for a lesson on their birthday, i would be having a relaxing morning, and definitely not making my child feel guilty because it's 'paid for', it's one lesson and not the end of the world.

2rebecca Tue 09-Apr-13 12:33:13

I'd make him go. He knew it was his birthday during the week when he agreed to go on the course. If it was a school day he'd still have to go to school. You aren't sending him swimming as a punishment, it's a skill he needs to learn.

TrenchCoat Tue 09-Apr-13 12:22:39

Yes I would make him go as you said he will be done early enough to enjoy the rest of the day.

Yes, go! Maybe he can tell his teacher it's his birthday and he'll be made a fuss of?

FeckOffCup Tue 09-Apr-13 12:15:29

I would make him go if it's over that early, that still leaves a whole day to do stuff of his choice.

fuzzysnout Tue 09-Apr-13 11:29:11

He'll be done by 9.30. He should go. It's not weird to want your child to be safe around water. It is for his own benefit & will do him no harm at all. He has the rest of the day to do all the lovely birthday things he will really enjoy.

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 11:24:12

I want him to learn to swim so he is safe around water. Is that weird?

As I said, he doesn't hate swimming, it just not something he would choose to do on his birthday.

The weekly lessons were becoming a chore because they were quite late in the day after school and everyone was tired and grumpy.

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 11:22:22

where did I say he could swim? confused

LoveWine Tue 09-Apr-13 11:22:00

Is there a reason for you to be pushing him to do these lessons if doesn't want to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now