AIBU to make my son go to swimming lessons on his birthday?

(34 Posts)
ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 11:11:43

His brithday is in the school holidays and he is booked on a 'swimming crash course' (every morning for a week).
This course was part of a deal we did with the boys to stop weekly swimming lessons which were becoming a painful chore.

He is turining 6.
He doesn't hate swimming, but doesn't love it either.
He things it is mean and unfair to be made to go swimming on his birthday.

These lessons are not cheap. And for once they have a great teacher and are making really good progress.
We'll be done at the pool by 9.30 and will spend the rest of the day doing fun stuff.

Cast your votes now....

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 14:17:23

thanks all.

I have no idea why some posters are jumping to the conclusion that he hates it. As I said in my OP he really doesn't hate swimming, in fact he usually enjoys it once he is there. He is just a bit grumpy about not being allowed to choose absolutely everything that he does on his birthday. smile

mrsjay Tue 09-Apr-13 14:19:29

OH i misread i thought he didnt like it at all not just because it was his birthday I think a few of us read it the same way smile

Needingthework Tue 09-Apr-13 14:20:01

DS3 went on his birthday a few weeks back. He had also been to school that day.
Luckily for him, because it was the last lesson of the term, it was a fun session grin.

ThePendant Tue 09-Apr-13 14:20:42

good idea about telling the teacher BTW. thanks.

LayMizzRarb Tue 09-Apr-13 14:48:19

I would brush any protestation away very quickly and move on to the next subject without drawing breath. "I don't want to go on my birthday" "we're going. What would you lik to do for supper on your birthday?"

sherazade Tue 09-Apr-13 14:57:15

i can relate to this. But i'd make him go because if you don't it might feed into his way of thinking that swimming is a dreadful chore.

whois Tue 09-Apr-13 16:32:48

Of course he should go!

Leaning to swim is a vital skill, and its not even like he hates it. Good lesson in doing things for the best, even though you might not want to do them at the time.

My mum made me come back from centre parcs, on my birthday, on a Saturday, to sit an entrance exam to a school we both knew I wasn't going to go to (the super selective secondary part of my primary). Something about nice to prove to yourself you could have gone if you wanted.

YABU! What kind of mother are you? Poor kid sad. Some people...sheesh.

wink

piratecat Tue 09-Apr-13 17:49:53

just me then wink

yay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now