To think that it's perfectly fine to be pleased someone is dead when they caused such a lot of harm?

(504 Posts)
LoopaDaLoopa Tue 09-Apr-13 09:43:58

So, all these people saying it is inappropriate to speak ill of the dead are all positive and nice about Pol Pot are they? Stalin? Hitler?

Just because someone dies does not make them a nice person.

And did you feel sorry for Saddam Hussain's family? Or did it not cross your mind?

LaQueen Tue 09-Apr-13 09:59:36

"She gave Pol Pot use of the SAS to train his soldiers of genocide."

Yes, because naturally the deployment and operational movements of the SAS are widely known and reported, and are a matter of public record.

In fact, it's annoying how members of the SAS are always all over twitter and FaceBook openly chatting about their last jaunt overseas, and how much fun and japes they had...

navada Tue 09-Apr-13 09:59:49

YABU. & I've had enough of all this anger & hate towards a woman who was elected in a democratic way by the people of this Country.
Comparing Margaret Thatcher to Pol Pot ? - I'm actually laughing here.

LoopaDaLoopa Tue 09-Apr-13 10:00:08

I think you miss my point.

I'm not only talking about MT. Or other world leaders. I'm saying that, in my opinion, it is generally OK to be glad when people you dislike die.

I was happy when my dad died, for example.

And please, the nasty patronising 'run along dear' comments just show you are incapable of debate. That is what's pathetic.

meditrina Tue 09-Apr-13 10:00:21

It's possible to think the world a better place and not lament the deaths of cruel dictators and major criminals.

But that's never the same as rejoicing or being "pleased".

And of course, it's utterly wrong to label a democratically elected PM in the same way as genocidal tyrants. Unless you really don't think there is a difference between a tax change that isn't universally welcomed and mass murder based on race/religion.

Earthymama Tue 09-Apr-13 10:01:08

I posted this link on another thread.oppose-hagiography

Feelings run high because of the untold harm she did to our view of ourselves as a society and her attacks on working-class pride.

LoopaDaLoopa Tue 09-Apr-13 10:02:15

Not sure about the wiki references? Those things, and others are common knowledge. But I'd rather stick to the more general point, if possible. I'm sure there are hundreds of MT threads.

LaQueen Tue 09-Apr-13 10:02:57

"And please, the nasty patronising 'run along dear' comments just show you are incapable of debate."

Actually, I thought it just demonstrated your woeful lack of knowledge about recent history, and the biographies of Stalin and Pol Pot et al...?

If you want a debate, then I find it helps matters enormously if you actually know a little about what you're debating about - yes?

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 09-Apr-13 10:03:05

I think rejoicing in the death of anyone is pretty horrible behaviour to be honest.

Disagree with someone and their politics but to actively want to party or sell discounted champagne (yes oddbins I'm looking at you) - well I just find it distasteful.

And I understand some people feel very strongly about her personally but there's also an awful lot of bandwagon jumping going on.

ppeatfruit Tue 09-Apr-13 10:04:45

Yes it is generally OK to be glad when people you dislike die YANBU

BoundandRebound Tue 09-Apr-13 10:05:05

I think it's disgusting to be pleased and I think the Level of hatred is because she was a woman and not just a right wing politician

She was democratically elected for three terms so at the time the majority felt she was right for the country

Expressing pleasure at the death of a frail old lady is foul

ppeatfruit Tue 09-Apr-13 10:05:31

Sorry forgot to say IMHO grin

LoopaDaLoopa Tue 09-Apr-13 10:05:51

Oh LaQueen, back to your old tricks again?

CheCazzo Tue 09-Apr-13 10:06:24

What LaQueen said. Just that.

navada Tue 09-Apr-13 10:06:31

Op: you asked if you're being unreasonable & most ( if not all ) have said you are. But so what? - you can carry on hating her if it makes you happy. life will go on. I'm not sure why you're asking for validation.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 09-Apr-13 10:06:56

DeepRedBetty's post nails it.

If we can't feel anything for the death of a person then perhaps it's better to just shut up. Otherwise, why should we care about anybody's death just because someone somewhere does. Think about it, OP.

This salivating is horrible and all it does is speak volumes about the posters starting these multiple threads about it. They sound derranged and very ignorant.

I don't think it's ever right to celebrate a death. I wasn't happy when Arafat died and he deliberately killed hundreds of my people. She was an old lady who lost power years ago. To be pleased she is dead is disgusting.

TheFallenMadonna Tue 09-Apr-13 10:08:43

I was glad when she no longer Prime Minister. That's enough surely?

AnyFucker Tue 09-Apr-13 10:09:36

The grave dancers have it all wrong and have missed a trick here

They could and should have been practising their dance moves in celebration from the day she was ousted from her own leadership and spent the last 20 years suffering the bitter humiliation of being in the political wilderness

They could have been serious contenders for Strictly Dancing by now

LaQueen Tue 09-Apr-13 10:10:16

What old tricks OP?

I'm happy to debate if that's what you want. I just think that debating ways in which Margaret Thatcher was similar to mass genocidal dictators, is a bit..I dunno...fatuous?

LoopaDaLoopa Tue 09-Apr-13 10:10:56

Very few people have actually answered my question. People are just getting all het up about their admiration for MT. My point is, anyone can feel any emotion about someone's death, and that's fine. I can understand that those who benefitted from her policies are sad, but all the same others aren't, and that's fine too, just as it was fine when other people, public and otherwise, die.

Lemonylemon Tue 09-Apr-13 10:11:21

The UK in the 1970's was not a particularly pleasant place to live. I'm not going to praise her to the heavens, but during the '70's, we: had bread rationing, sugar rationing, power rationing (we had to do our homework and eat etc. by candlelight with no heating). The unions had a stranglehold across the industrial spectrum, which they used to devastating effect. If you didn't belong to a powerful union, then tough luck on you.

It was the effect of what was going on before, which was why she did win the 1979 election.

To say that she backed Hussein is correct because at the time, Iran was rattling the sabres. THAT political situation was very serious. Many people woke during a thunderstorm in the middle of the situation, thinking that Iran had actually dropped a nuclear bomb - tensions were running that high. Saddam Hussein was an ally at that time, simply because he was fighting against Iran.

It will always happen that during certain political situations, a power who was once an ally, becomes the foe.

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 09-Apr-13 10:11:42

'I remember the 1979 election and belive me this country was on its knees. Far far worse than it is now'

'Margaret thatcher made many many mistakes but also did some much needed things'

I agree with these comments.

thebody Tue 09-Apr-13 10:12:15

Loopa sorry but La Queen is right. You do sound ill informed and a bit childish to be honest.

And of course you were talking about maggie.

Abra1d Tue 09-Apr-13 10:13:17

Ha! re 'working class pride'. Was that the same working-class pride that was happy for the whole country to be dictated to by unelected, dictatorial union bosses? At least LT was elected.

Those union bosses were appalling people. Blame them for the destruction of heavy industry, not LT.

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 09-Apr-13 10:13:47

Being glad anybody is dead is just weirdshit stuff.

Being glad any politician/dictator/monster is dead doesn't take you down to their level....it takes you far far below.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now